I find it funny that most of the books you people recommend are from the standard high school curriculum. Oh wow...

I find it funny that most of the books you people recommend are from the standard high school curriculum. Oh wow, Of Mice and Men! Never heard of it! Maybe try reading some Kerouac and get educated, friends. "Oh you mean like On the road OP?", no, I mean like Doctor Sax.

Most of this board is populated by edgelord tier elitist high school students.

>more obscure = better

>thinking doctor sax by Kerouac is obscure
Feeling defensive friend? K.A Applegate wrote more worthwhile thoughts than most of the writers you newcomers recommend.

It gets pretty annoying and dull to always pick books from that pathetic top100 chart

Stop browsin it the u dumbass dats what i did like a couple months ago

>months ago
At least you can perceive the passage of time, friend, that is a start. Care to recommend any books for us?

Honestly, I have never seen someone suggest of mice and men here. The books that are usually suggested are generally more known books but actually pretty good ones, such as books from Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Tolstoy, Pynchon etc etc

It's not a bad thing, it's just that you can tell that most people on this board are very early into their careers as autodidacts. That what have you read thread the other day proves this. Most of those lists were just seminal text after seminal text. Some people actually had some variety, but they were ignored because the most obscure a book is the less likely you are to find someone online to talk about it with

ur recomendation of dr seuss was pretty lit

Did not say it was bad. Said it was funny. These people read a novel that is a standard text and feel accomplished. And they should, reading is a worthwhile pursuit.

Most blue boards are mainly young anons phishing for answers for their homework.

>These people read a novel that is a standard text and feel accomplished
I'd say, more precisely, they read a novel that is universally acclaimed thus they feel smart

>Read Kerouac
>Get educated
>Implying Kerouac is anything other than a mediocre typist with any literary (not historical, literary) value

They should feel this way in every sense. But they should not end there. It is a struggle to find worthwhile reading.

Not sure I understand the negative stance of this thread. But I will say that the books I have enjoyed the most were found through seemingly random chance. Found through a series of discoveries fueled by interests I enjoy. From a biography on Neil Armstrong to a memoir from Chuck Close. I enjoyed the books from school, but have learned so much more from my own discoveries. Overall I agree with the creator of this thread, I guess.

>They should feel this way in every sense
I disagree. You should feel smart when you're actually improving yourself according to your personal path, or when you have intuitios. If you feel smart just because you've read a largely acclaimed book it's nothing more than persuasion, autosuggestion.

But you should never feel smart. That act is incongruous with the original thought. You do not know your own path, much less yourself.

>But you should never feel smart
I kinda agree on this and I definitely agree you don't know yourself.
But I strongly disagree on
>You do not know your own path
If you don't know where you're going, you'll never accomplish anything. And reading largely acclaimed books doesn't show you the direction. And, romantic as it may seem, the direction is inside you.

>Veeky Forums recommends hs tier books like of mice and men or gatsby
I have been lurking here for years and I cannot recall ever seeing this more than once or twice.

if you like edvard munch and have the time check out peter doig

What do you mean, "you people?"

Fuck you OP - I frequently used to post threads about less famous literature, but whiny faggots like you don't reply to them. Be the change you want to see.

And how is funny?

Probably because shit American lit is the most common thing for most people here.

I could recommend me you finnish ltierature gems but they are not translated to dog shit English crap language nor are they available digi format

>muh Kerouac
>beat writers =/= education

am I missing something or

What did he mean by this filename?

Veeky Forums is 1/5 oldfags and masters/educator tier patricians who will discuss new books, and 4/5 new posters and reddit immigrants who want some indepth analysis of Stoner, 1984, or Lolita