Can we get a thread based upon our utter despair regarding literature that is lost forever...

Can we get a thread based upon our utter despair regarding literature that is lost forever? Which piece of lost literature hurts the most for you?

> only 12 of Aristophanes' 40 plays survived
> The Epic of Gilgamesh will forever be incomplete
> Shakespeare's Hamlet is speculated to not truly be his own but written from the recollections of the actors who had performed in the original Hamlet

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle/#AriCorChaPriDiv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My diary desu

Berossus' Babylonaica

Su diario

> The Pale King will never be finished

> Pynchon will never finish his next book before his death
> McCarthy will never finish his next book before his death

The Library of Alexandria.

grrr bloody Romans

What have the Romans done for us?

I think Homer's The Iliad and Odyssey were intended as a 12-part series of epic poems? That breaks my heart since I love The Illiad and Odyssey and I want more Homer.

> McCarthy will never finish his next book before his death
i think The Passenger is almost done
> Pynchon will never finish his next book before his death
obviously not a fucking clue

and i add

>Philip Roth will never write anything again

may I introduce you to

THE EPIC CYCLE
- an octalogy -
1: Cypria (11 books)
2: Iliad (24 books)
3: Aethiopis (5)
4: Little Iliad (4)
5: Ilou Persis (2)
6: Nostoi (5)
7: Odyssey (24)
8: Telegony (2)

so we have 48 books of 77 - about 57%

good

we just somehow happen to have the two longest ones...HMMM I WONDER WHY

you shut your whore mouth

Fuck, we're missing so much

> you will never hear the music that accompanies classic Greek plays and poetry

>all but illiad and odyssey are lost
>pound will never finish the cantos

I didn't know that about Hamlet but notions of authorship were different back in the Bard's day iirc. I don't feel too beat up about that one desu. Hamlet is still god-tier

No, why?

>The Trial will never, EVER, be a fully fleshed-out and completed story
>we may never see where the Fragments even fit into the rest of the story

Or the true order of the chapters for that matter.
>kafka will never finish the pelican short

I like this thread

aquaducts?

The Faerie Queen

True, that they burned it down once, but it was the muslims who crashed it with no survivors.

Jews

Surely if the jews stood behind we would have the shortest ones?

Wrong. If the jews didn't intervene, we would've had the most important, and influential ones.

Then why did you emphasize that we got the long ones?

Because they aren't the most important works.

Said who?

>All we have are Aristotle's lecture notes and not his works intended to be read, which supposedly had prose as good as Plato

WAT? Source now

>the first draft of master and margarita
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle/#AriCorChaPriDiv

>All the more puzzling, then, is Cicero’s observation that if Plato’s prose was silver, Aristotle’s was a flowing river of gold (Ac. Pr. 38.119, cf. Top. 1.3, De or. 1.2.49). Cicero was arguably the greatest prose stylist of Latin and was also without question an accomplished and fair-minded critic of the prose styles of others writing in both Latin and Greek. We must assume, then, that Cicero had before him works of Aristotle other than those we possess. In fact, we know that Aristotle wrote dialogues, presumably while still in the Academy, and in their few surviving remnants we are afforded a glimpse of the style Cicero describes. In most of what we possess, unfortunately, we find work of a much less polished character. Rather, Aristotle’s extant works read like what they very probably are: lecture notes, drafts first written and then reworked, ongoing records of continuing investigations, and, generally speaking, in-house compilations intended not for a general audience but for an inner circle of auditors. These are to be contrasted with the “exoteric” writings Aristotle sometimes mentions, his more graceful compositions intended for a wider audience (Pol. 1278b30; EE 1217b22, 1218b34). Unfortunately, then, we are left for the most part, though certainly not entirely, with unfinished works in progress rather than with finished and polished productions. Still, many of those who persist with Aristotle come to appreciate the unembellished directness of his style.

when your memoirs get destroyed cuz they were too spicy

All things are lost to time, why care? 90% of things you interact with on a daily occasion are more transient than books from 500-2000 years ago, and you don't cry over those.

Well there's about lost material there.

>there's nothing

Fixed.

All prehispanic Mayan literature.

Tfw I speak Yucatec Mayan

Yeah there is, indirectly:

>We must assume, then, that Cicero had before him works of Aristotle other than those we possess

Implying that we have lost the material Cicero was reading/praising.

>Lost books of Tacitus
>Lost sections of the Satyricon

That's pretty cool user

>> Shakespeare's Hamlet is speculated to not truly be his own but written from the recollections of the actors who had performed in the original Hamlet
Who cares? I doubt the original would be much better when what we have is pretty much the pinnacle of theatre.

I feel bad that Mexico City isn't an amazing fortress in the middle of a lake still.

>only a few plays from old comedy
>none from middle comedy
>1 from new comedy

>almost nothing of latin plays

>Still, many of those who persist with Aristotle come to appreciate the unembellished directness of his style.

Having read a not insignificant amount of Aristotle, I can say that this is true. Anyone who dismisses Aristotle because he's "dry" is a pleb who isn't up to the task of reading philosophy

>tfw no Q Source gf

they brought piggies

Is the Faerie Queen unfinished or something?

These sadden me. Byron sounds like some Marquis De Sade mad bants lad but because of his memoirs destroyed which supposedly would have ruined his reputation, we'll never know. I don't even know what it could've been, people back then liked all kinds of mad shit and not an eyelid is batted over it.

What changed?

Probably some occultism-related shit

>the entirety of cayce's collection
>whatever the vatican has hidden
>whatever the business leaders and politicians have hidden
>whatever was lost in the alexandrian library
>the literature in the tower of babel, if any
>the bible/torah/koran(qur'an?)'s first edition
>anything pre-sumerian
>any texts of the aztec, inca, maya explaining their culture (guaranteed to be at least one or two people from other cultures who traveled)
>original documents of alchemists and philosophers pre-encoding
>codex for voynich manuscript, etc.
>designs for the pyramids
>reasons or designs for the monoliths that appear within fractally-determined patters based on arc degrees all around the world
>old-school geomancy texts, like pre-geomancy geomancy
>the rest of the epics
>any of the non-lecture-notesy works of the philosophers
>literary critiques of old works; drooling over critiques and commentaries on those works during their time
>genealogies and histories of world powers, royal famiries, travel journals
>actually, travel journals in which the traveler makes a discovery -- not some 50x reprinted, re-translated shit, but exactly what and how they experienced whatever was discovered
>ye olde magick texts, occult stuff un-touched

I like old stuff.

>I would Indie treasure hunt just for the books, fuck the jewelry.
>I would use an art-quality scanner and upload the works to the internet for free.
>I would pull pranks, like copying/forging the style of old-ass cultures and make the public believe lolis were ancient goddess-aliens.

unironically better that way
>mccarthy
thank goodness

>bill of sale with butterfly drawing.jpg

I'm reading Paradise Lost currently should I read the Epic of Gilgamesh next? It's on my list along with Treasure Island