What is the worst book cover of all time?

What is the worst book cover of all time?
Hard mode: No Wordsworth classics or self-published books

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matvei_Berman
amazon.com/dp/0143106260
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wtf i thought modern library was supposed to be good

Holy fucking shit that's frightfully demonic

These aren't real:

Fuck off, the Lermontov one is on amazon

Wow that cover is so dogshit I thought it was fake. My apologies.

Unironically learn how to read.

the brothers karamazov one is real too

The second one is real.

wtF??? you mother fucking bastard

kill yourself you fucking brown skinned indian. I hate you. I need you to know so. I havent always but as of today I hate you.

Between that revelation and that Don Quixote cover, I'm killing myself now.

what were they thinking?

lol

This is such a gay fucking cover, and I have seen it defended on Veeky Forums multiple times.

>tfw the American version has a great cover but this shite in the only version available in Britain

id be interested to see how people defend that

I personally don't mind it. Sort of juvenile, but it's a nice piece and it suits the theme of the story.

I'm fine with these covers but I don't know why they haven't done a version of that decent GR vintage cover for each of his books

these are all made by someone who had Wikipedia tier knowledge of the book, and then approved by someone who had Wikipedia tier knowledge of the book

it just looks so cartoony and juvenile when Portrait is the definition of austere, elegant prose (by the latter half at least)

>it's a nice piece
for an undergrad graphic design student maybe

That's cool af.

>posts in a thread about shitty covers
>why are there so many shitty covers, they must be fake

what if its actually
-the jealous farmer after the murder and not werther?
-or the nutcase who cant find flowers?
-capturing the unironic sentimentality of rousseaunism?
the cover designer did nothing wrong

>that picture of Dorian Grey

Comedy gold

I actually appreciate how insincere this cover is. I think that Voltaire would have liked it.

i hope nobody tries to defend this

>introduced by marshall berman
wew
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matvei_Berman

I'm playing on normal mode, faggot.

Last two scare the shit out of me. Dracula is decenent, though.

That cringy homage to that Capar David paiting...

Painting is actually good. It's akin to Soviet era propaganda, and it fits the poem. Lame fonts and too much white space is bad, but that's often collections fault.

it's just a Reddit-tier knockoff of the painting "Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog"

>How can we make communism look hip and trendy to kids?
I wonder who could be behind this.

That's Blake you trogolodyte

I kinda like the Wuthering Heights cover, I think because it reminds me of a Blythe doll

Cool but not really professional looking and kinda distasteful. Almost like im about to read some edgy manga some 15year old has written. All im saying is it's kinda deviant art tier.
>/ic/ has changed my ways of viewing art

Dude, you're joking right?

These remind me of Disney movie posters.

>Now a major motion picture!

"We need to capture the r/books market"

The cartoonish font and cartoonish figure standing on the cliff ruins it.

If it was a normal bookcover font, and if the figure was removed, the colors in it and whole scene would look quite nice and alluring.

Yeah I can't really disagree with you. I like the thing but it doesn't fit the novel for sure.

But the point of the figure is to make a reference to that one painting (can't remember any names). Not justifying it tho

"The Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog" - Caspar David Freidrich

Yup...was about to post it

This one felt strangely inappropriate.

I lile this

there's no way that's real

How many layers of irony are we operating on here?

You can still buy it.
amazon.com/dp/0143106260

What the hell is this

Get 'em while they're hot!

Was kind of annoyed when I received this edition

>WE WUZ STRANDED N SHIEEEEEEET

that is pretty awful compared to most other editions of Steppenwolf, but not terrible.

Someone liked the description of the motel sign apparently. Also, Oedipa is more attractive than that and (even though she may have been described otherwise) a brunette, in my mind.

It's mainly about the part where Dedalus is walking on the beach at sunset decides to become an artist.

every time

Hey, edgy adolescents are the targeted audience of the book

But that kid looks hot

t. Bourgeois capitalist

People need to stop posting Oxford World's Classics. They use existing paintings, often lesser known classics by otherwise famous masters. They're trying to be challenging and playful, casting a unique perspective on the work, while being authentic to the period/themes. In other words, they're being lit, not Veeky Forums. They're creating and fighting the assumptions of "classics", not lazily meming. Respect it.

It's not in any way equivalent to the other covers which are original shitty art from the 2010s to make the works accessible to the Tumblr generation. Those should not be lumped in with what OWC are doing.

This is awesome and actually makes me want to read LRH. Am I a scientist Veeky Forums?

I always imagined Oedipa as black. I mean, her name's Oedipa and she's with a guy named Mucho.

It's even more insulting when the movie is absolute blood stool

Wow. I find the modern library classic designs to be great but they chose a very idiotic image for this one.

Idk man, I'm just saying if I had to pick between that book cover I posted and one like this pic related, I wouldn't even think twice. Like this guy said, that cover does not make me feel like I'm going to read a book with actual merit.

Yeah I'd honestly rather have my furry hardcover than a retro cover with clips from the film. Like honestly, if those stills weren't there I think it'd be a great cover.

i have that version unfortunately

Jesus Christ, I think the one thing this thread has shown is that the person who works at Pengiun who has been doing the classics artwork is a fucking idiot.

I mean for fucks sake.

It's not so bad, it actually fits with Tove Jansson's other artwork pretty well
>Actually read the title
Oh, oh shit

This cover accurately depicts the events of the book, although the guy in the fedora is supposed to be ugly.

Probably, unironically, a young progressive hired to liven up the classic image with a 'modern, inviting new look'. Modern, inviting and new all in italics.

Daily reminder that this exists

This one especially pisses me off every time I see it in bookstores. It looks straight up disneyfied, like it's going to be the cover of some lighthearted yet edgy graphic novel

Also, my captcha for this post

these look cute desu

>That cringy homage to that Capar David paiting...
I'm not an art history major, I'm a READER. I don't give a fuck about paintings, sculptures or museums unless it's the life-like wax statue of William fuckin' Wordsworth at Westminster. Oh and newsflash faggot, nobody gives a shit about Iron Maiden's Veeky Forums lyrics either more than they give a shit about Adrian Smith's R I F F S. Pretentious faggots like you is why we have half-naked shotas on roughly half of all metafiction releases. Another thing that gets my panties in a twist is that disgusting air of smugness that clouds you. "hurr if you read more books that is correlated to your knowledge of paintings hurr." Fuck off with that weak shit cunt, only slutty French women give two shits about art and even then they just nod their nod and act interested as you ramble on about three-point perspective while their mouths water at the thought of cheese-encrusted chodes

Fuck off and die you piece of shit

>implying that Moz isnt a national treasure

Baka desu

this shit

>that cross with the suppedaneum
christ didn't die for this

cara de verga :v

How his this not been posted yet

Why would they use that style to draw figures? You would think they would choose a style more fitting for the period