How the fuck is it possible for one guy to write so much? I've gone through a few of his short story collections...

How the fuck is it possible for one guy to write so much? I've gone through a few of his short story collections, nonfiction, the first few hundred pages of his tome "The Dying Grass", and I'm just overwhelmed by this guy's span of interests.
It seems unreal he could visit so many places and just be capable of forming the sentences he does. Yeah, some of them are superfluously pretty, but there's always something interesting and unique going on in them. That level of creative energy is astounding.
Thoughts on him?

Someone here once called him DFW-lite and that bothered me so much as I was attempting to read Europe Central that I had to put it down and haven't gone back to it since

I find DFW unreadable and think Vollmann is some kind of god

well for one he got the fuck out of the house at a super early age. grabbed a pen, camera and a notebook and got right into life. he's probably lived more than all of us combined. pretty sure he almost died once or twice too.

Probably had a lot of spare time what with all the sex he most certainly was not having.

kek. Deep springs will do that to ya

yea but his prose is complete shit

He wrote a book about how much unprotected sex he's had with prostitutes

Smart move, the ones that don't ask for protection are the cheaper ones.

Expand on this, please. Not only do I think you've never read a single novel he wrote (every book has a vastly different style, so which one? all of them?), but I also doubt you read any books at all.

no it's not lmao

Nice prose

I somehow just know you're one of those psueds who reads Tolstoy in translation and then claim he has beautiful prose.

What is this, a picture for people with broken necks?

if you look in the middle you can see the two niggers

neat glad to see you have only read a bit of one short story from one of his books lmao

Nope. I just dislike the way Vollmann writes, that's all. I admire his stamina, his mission, his relentless dedication to exposing the injustices of the world, but I think the way he does it is, quite frankly, horrible. It's frequently puerile and overdone and reads like a teenager trying to see how far his sentence can go without wondering what it'd be like to actually read that sentence. Completely ugly. Yuck

You're right
Some essay someone posted in a DFW thread last week quotes one of his essays and the author totally makes Vollmann look like a faggot.

Haven't read anything by him yet. I have a copy of The Rainbow Stories. Is it a good place to start? How does the prose compare to his more epic/bigger novels?

Kek. I remember that thread.

you haven't convinced anyone of your case...

you seem really bitter inside.

What? I don't care if people disagree, like I said Vollmann is a really respectable writer. I'm bitter because I dislike his prose?
>everyone must agree and get along
Fuck off