Why is John Green such a popular and successful author?

Why is John Green such a popular and successful author?

he basically took the dfw model and feminized it.

Because he appeals to mentally ill, neurotic, SJW faggots of which there is no shortage of currently?

>48 cheerios

Pretty much. At least DFW, no matter how much we make fun of him, had some talent. John Green is just stupid

>CRASH
>Mom made pancakes

Cornered a market of teenagers/liberal college kids and has been milking it ever since.

Dunno much about him. Why do you guys dislike him so much?

the absolute primacy of story

neglect it at your own peril

Why is this a question? Pseuds with accessible idea are very popular. This guy, Peterson, de Botton, etc.

I've read the fault in our stars, it's okayish.

/thread. I'd say because it's accessible, widely marketed in tumblr, the main character is an ugly white girl, the prince is a tall handsome man that likes her the way she is. And then disease fucks up everything so the ladies can get cheap tears and recommend it all over the internet.

Because his books are popular and successful

He's terrible.

he takes advantage of a social movement to cash in to people's emotions.
It's not even intricate, thought-inducing plots. It's just: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY HERE'S SOME SHIT N DIVERTISY GIVE ME MONEY AND PLS RESHARE ON TUMBLR

He's a weak beta cuck and proud of it
/thread

404 discernable talent not found

This is pretty much everything he's ever written in a nutshell.

>he's never read either

It's "sick-lit"

Y'all just jealous of my boy jay green, he's the littest author there is boy

SJWs hate him just as much as everyone else. He's actually quite the misogynist.
source: I have a tumblr

It's been said before, but he writes teenagers, not the way they are, but the way they see themselves. His characters are always going off on philosophical monologues, and act as if they're the only ones who really have the world figured out. That appeals to you if you're 15. Unfortunately, he's got quite a following of college age women, which is concerning.

John and his brother Hank are stupidly popular on YouTube. Not sure if that happened before or after his books took off but it helps him keep a large following...and Tumbler

I stumbled across him on YouTube first, but I think Looking for Alaska came before his e-fame.

I forget, it's either perseverance and hard work, or he just sat on his ass and they threw him book deals and he became successful to prove to you how unfair and impossible it is to win in this world, even though if he did it so easily you think you could too, but disregard that shit.

If a girl likes John Green, that's a red flag.

I liked An Abundance of Katherines

Because he sells fake culture. Famous authors often give philosophical idea dumbed down and make the readers feel they're smart for having deep philosophical thoughts. Coelho is a prime example of this.
John Green puts teenagers as thinkers of "deep ideas", making his books very attractive for this age group.

Exactly. He's trying consciously to make great literature and culture accessable to YA/Tumblrites/Normies which invalidates and cheapens his work. All his literary references are shoehorned in and surface level. He's wants to write a masterpiece which is immediately accessable to the masses and it automatically fails.

If prose were rain I was dribble and he was hurricane.

Thanks for reminding me that I have to read LFA because of that names thread

Don't bother. I fell for the meme and thought Green books weren't as bad as they were said to be and read The Fault In Our Stars and Looking For Alaska. TFIOS had the alcoholic writer as an interesting character and sick teens in love wasn't too overdone back then but LFA has absolutely no merit or talent. Characters are flat, moronically named and have such poor dialogue. The 'twist' is meaningless. Alaska is grating. Don't waste your time.

John Green literally worships DFW. Read his blogs about it

Green basically lifted DFW's style about erudite youthfulness in a post-modern society and turned it into a bunch of cutesy bullshit