ITT: authors who are red flags

ITT: authors who are red flags.

If I meet somebody who claims to like this talentless hack, I know not to value their opinion on anything else moving forward.

Other urls found in this thread:

lithub.com/the-murakami-effect/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you read his works in Japanese? It's pretty hard to translate the literary nuances of Japanese to English.

I am Japanese. I live in Japan.
Do you like this writor?
In Japan he is no person.
No one likes him.
This is means you American are bad
for buy so many his books

He's actually good, but his problem is that his style it's really repetitive.

Read Hard boiled wonderland and kafka in the shore, ignore any faggot who reccomends tokyo blues.

I am japan
you faggot
me tiny dick and kill whale

Do his plots and characters cease to be nu male wish fulfillment in Japanese?

why so much hate? if i had never read nothing by him, i'd think he is a terrible writer, judging by your comments. but actually, he is at least decent.

Really mostly overrated lads. I get into his books but find myself struggling to the finish line every time. A likable bore.

his stories cant help but feel unoriginal and boring a lot of times
but he's pretty easy to read and can be somewhat interesting

not absolutely horrible but not amazing either

Any YA
If they ONLY read genre
If they only read pomo, especially if its DFW and they can't seem to speak about his work with any degree of substance
Boycotting white men
Boycotting any group
They've read the road but not suttree or BM
They like Cormac but don't read Faulkner, Twain, Melville
They dislike poetry
Mentions the word plot
Uses pretension as a valid criticism
If they're not obviously patrician, they shouldn't be closed minded about anything
Doesn't think that literary taste is a valid form to judge a person's character

This would be my assessment as well. He's quite funny at times as well

I wish I had a gun oh boy I wish I had a gun.

Author smiles
Book about a writer (which is really a caricature of the authors shitty agenda and thoughts in an attempt to stroke his mental phallus)
Author is a woman over the age of 50 wearing glasses
Author wears T-Shirts
Author is monolingual
Author isn't right wing/traditional in some thought
Author didn't get published before the age of 20

Oh, so you're a subspecies of pseud commonly known as a "bigot," or "scoffer," in antiquarian English.

The bigger red flag is the autistic hatred of Murakami just because he's popular.

Classic. thanks.

Unoriginal stories? nah. Maybe a bit his threads are repetitive, and derivative of his previous work, but there's a lot of unique aspects to each of them.

I want to like Murakami but he's too Tumblr and quirky for my liking. He also doesn't have the restraint for magical realism, he creates this really fragile beauty and then elaborates and contextualizes until the mystique is gone and dried up.

It's just weebs being contrarian

>Author didn't get published before the age of 20
Tolstoy is a red flag?

>In Japan he is no person.
>literally the most popular writer in Japan

i've met 2 girls who read murakami and they both wanted my D while having boyfriends.

thank you for articulating why murakami doesnt work

liking him is a redflag

He is the Stephen King of Japan

Nah, he's more like the Bret Easton Ellis of Japan.

So less a hack but a hack nonetheless?

i dont mind his novels for summer beach reading, when there can be time for such frivolities.

not mutually exclusive

Explain why you feel that about Murakami? One of my friends said that 1Q84 was his favorite book; Murakami was his favorite author.

1Q84 is the problem here, really. I enjoy Murakami, but I dropped that book really quickly.

This, he has a very comfy vibe to his books.

Murakami's is okay because of speed, so you can experience quick dreamlike existential angst in a few hours.

Hesse is way better at that though.

Hesse is my favorite writer, but he is not nearly as comfycore as Murakami

>first time on Veeky Forums
>big into murakami
>see this

oh well. not sure why you call him a talentless hack op other than to get attention, the vast majority of his work is really good. he's great at evoking this sense of nostalgia.

any more comfy authors like murakami?

You should read more bro

Or bait better

as im not baiting, what makes you think i should read more?

What is most "patrician" comfycore author?

His evocation of nostalgia is good-ish, but very basic if compared to a lot of the "classics".

Even Thomas Mann does a much better job

i like him more than mann in that sense, though mann is probably a better writer. do you have any other recs?

You want nostalgia of what though? Of childhood?

kind of weird to articulate, what i like about murakami is that he makes me nostalgic for stuff that havent happened to me and im not sure why they resonate with me. it's more of a pure sense of nostalgia than anything

Nostalgia for "innocence" is such a huge theme in literature (and art in general) you can find it everywhere.

Hamlet has it, the Bible has it, Pessoa has it, Hesse has it, Nabokov has it

Murakami has a very comfy way of portraying it, but he is very average when you compare him to all the history of literature before him

Maybe nostalgia is not the word you are looking for then? I get the same dreamlike vibe off his works, if that's what you want go for surrealistic writers like Saramago, Breton, BolaƱo?

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is probably what you are looking for, have you read 100 years of solitude? That book alone is much better than all the works of Murakami, to me

Not authors only, but if anyone discriminates against others for subjective reasons, I'm usually averse to dealing with them.

>I don't like dealing with myself, either.

Read lithub.com/the-murakami-effect/

Murakami reads significantly better in English than Japanese.

None of his books are in my top ten or anything, but I really enjoy his style. Veeky Forums throws 'cozy' around, Murakami is a cozy as it gets to me. Is he a better writer than Dostoevsky? No, and he would never claim to be. But his books are chill and relateable. He's probably the most pleb author I like but I've read everything he's written and I'd proudly say he's one of my favorite authors.

>someone gives you shit for what you like

That is almost an immediate red flag for almost all people. You just enjoy the books you enjoy, someone else might like something else. Accept that people have different opinions and you will be much happier.

Murakami

>Nothing is better than anything else

>this somehow matters in the face of an average persons life

Actually, it does. Our worldviews (and thus our selves) are completely shaped by the art we consume. How can you say it doesn't matter?

>I am superior as a person to you because of what I read

He's the Japanese Stephen King. People only like him because of muh exotic literature. Maybe he's seen as impressive because there are hundreds of Sandersons in Japan

/thread

It feels like he's just compartmentalizing Kobo Abe's style for people who have had no prior knowledge about Abe before.