Why is self destruction so romantic?

Why is self destruction so romantic?

Because you're 15.

LOL anyone else imagining the cat saying this?

It goes against the norms and got a flair of rebellion about it.

It's not

yes it is.

Once you have actually seen several of your childhood friends go down that path to the point of no return and been close to it yourself you know it's nothing but hell.

Doesn't mean its not appealing in some way

Raping children is appealing to some people as well

That's what I call my furious masturbation sessions.

Becuase trauma and traumatic expierences seem to be the most tangible, vicsceral, and indelible

And what is more empowering than to take your life into your own hands, and in so doing establish its value through the trauma produced.

Also consider that death is an inevitable trauma we must all face.
And that death while affecting every living thing, is still a very personal expierence.
I mean we have grief counselors at school if a student dies.

it's only if you're an edgy teen. after that all you can feel for self destruction is pitty for the immaturity.

You're a failure that likes to pretend you meant to fail.

It's not that all self-destructive actions are romantic. It's that all self-destructive people must view their actions as romantic or else they wouldn't do them.

If you had someone who was perfectly rational then they wouldn't do something like self-destruct. One you give them some value-based reason to override their rationality, they're happy to do it.

Maybe some people try self-destruction once or twice but don't bother with it afterward, and only the people who view it romantically for whatever reason keep with it.

The romanticism seems like a self-perpetuation tool for me.

pro-tip: it's not

Destruction itself is romantic.

self-destruction adds intimacy.

Also, in regards to suicide, there is a difference between killing yourself in a suicide pact by snakebite as you were losing your empire after putting up the fight of your life, and an heroing because you lost your ipod in terms of romance.

One is romantic, one is you just throwing a temper tantrum and deciding to off yourself and soil your pants.

*suicide pact with your LOVER

Fight Club is probably one of the better examples of self-destruction that wasn't suicide being "romantic", in a way. I think destruction itself is more romantic than self-destruction though.

Especially destruction in the form of fire.

yes it is

self destruction is a dysfunctional reaction to feeling helpless. As in, medically. It's a symptom of a lot of mental illnesses. Like a lot of symptoms of mental illness, it's romanticized by people who don't actually have to deal with it because it's "quirky" or "tragic".

this is a tautological question. Romanticism IS entropy, dissolution, aesthetic decay, punk, the picturesque, etc.

It's like asking 'Why is personal freedom so libertarian?" Self-destruction is simply an integral part of romanticism and what defines the term.

humans arent rational

This desu senpaitachi

Underrated post.

I smiled