QTDDTOT, Literary Edition

I'm thinking about the next book I'm going to read.
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Crime and Punishment
War and Peace
Heart of Darkness
Are these considered literary fiction or genre fiction?

Well I can tell you that you should start the first one or the last one because those two are shorter reads

Read Conrad last; Literary Fiction

They are all good, read in whatever order you want

>in Barnes & Noble
>all Barnes & Noble classics are $5
>impulse buy 8 books
>realize that they're probably horrible translations
Should I return them?

Take a little time to research what translations they are, research whether they are good translations. If not, return them

What's a psued?

What are the best places to publish a chapbook?

Want to get my foot in the door of poetry but I know I need some smaller works before I publish larger collections

Pseudonym. It's a name an author will write and publish under rather than using their given name

How do I write things that are funny?

how do i expand my vocabulary? ive noticed, especially with older books, it can take me ages to read a single page because of looking up words. are there any good websites for this or should i just go through the dictionary and write down words

Do you guys take the dust cover off your hard cover books? mine dust cover was somewhat damaged during an incident and was considering to just take them all off

what is the point of reading

How do you do one of this charts? I want to do 2017 version

Set up an expectation and then subvert that expectation in an unexpected way.

Read books that have a wide vocabulary, but not so wide so that you have to constantly be looking up words (try Dickens). Write down the words while reading and look them up afterwards.

Paradise Lost isn't a translation

I toss all of mine

Femanon vocaroo ‘At Last’ by Elizabeth Akers Allen pls

Return all but Les Mis, Siddhartha, and Paradise Lost. From experience those Barnes and Noble Russian ones probably use Garnett which is highly Anglicized, Smollett for Don Quixote is a translation from the 1700's, and the chances of it being a good Metamorphoses translation are next to none and is especially important because Ovid is a poet

Someone who tries to express an opinion that they didn't personally come to or tries to be someone they're not, usually to give the impression of being more intelligent than they are

Best secondary lit that explains and analyses Plato - partularly The Republic or trial and death of Socrates dialogues?

What's a good Pynchon for a non native English speaker? Im reading GR with a little difficulty and since Ill be ordering a bunch o books in a few says I might as well get another one by him. I find the story really engaging, just a little over my head at times.

Also, Im gonna order The Man In the High Castel cause I liked the show, is it worth it? Are any other books by PKD good?

Im all eyes.

pseud is short for psuedo meaning false/fake
basically a poseur

C'mon

>all that pleb
>no Raymond Carver
shiggity diggity cheeki breeki

Short for pseudo-intellectual
etymologically

if i want to learn spanish, italian, and german, which is best to start with? do any of them act as a sort of gateway to the others

German first, because you already know English, dumb idiot. And after that one pick whichever cause youre not gonna make it anyway

are there any significant works that deal with the origin of preference/inclination to make certain choices

I'm about to read Crime and Punishment, translated by Constance Garnett. Is this an OK translation? It's the only version my local library had

holy shit

Garnett's fine, as long as you can get accustomed to her Victorian style

Bartelby the Scrivener, by Melville

The reason those editions are so cheap is that the texts and translations they use are public domain. The Russian titles are okay as long as the Dostos aren't Whishaw (which they probably aren't). If the Tolstoy is the Maude translation, then that's actually very good

didn't say it, but I was hoping for non-fiction. still going to read this, thank you

I stared learning german by reading children's books. I then slowly built off of that.

Garnett is perfectly fine for Dostoevsky. She's really the standard that every translator has to go up against in regards to those books.