Sup Veeky Forums

sup Veeky Forums
What is some entry level poetry you would recommend?
Also general poetry thread I guess...

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Poetry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bumping

nothing?

Bump

thanks

Whitman
The Confessionalists (Plath, Sexton, Lowell, Ginsberg, ect.)
Robert Frost
Shakespeare
Longfellow
Byron
Yeats
Keats
Blake

Haikus are lit

What are the best translations of Reiner Maria Rilke?

Edward Snow.

Supposedly he's sounds quite different from the original but his translations are so elegant it doesnt matter

noted

shit men you just got greeked

objectively best greek poet

You mean Kavafis or the guy you posted? Who is that anyway?

nvm the guy I posted is a greek meme
Kavafis is great but greeks have a lot of poets so Its hard to choose. Elitis, Seferis, Ritsos and Cavafy are top tier.

Paradise Lost

prufrock
barrett browning

Auden. If you like The Tempest, read The Sea and The Mirror. One of the better long poems I've read.

Elizabeth Bishop
Larkin's really beautiful grumpycore. He's way way way better at Bukowski's game.
Frank O'Hara's comfy and fun

As a giant poetry pleb, William Blake and Catullus are the only ones I've read so far that I got any enjoyment out of

noted thanks

WORDSWORTH
KEATS

Theres an awesome art song arrangement by Ned Rorem of Elizabeth Bishop's Bedlam, if you dig her it might be worth your time to check it out

Joseph Cadora. Grab his edition of Rilke's "New Poems" and make sure to read the introduction. Cadora's a master of translation (i've read both his translation and the original) and his translation could rightfully be studied as an art of its own.

4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Poetry

μαν μου ο Μπογδανος γαμαει, ειναι σιγουρα lit.

pou na ektimisoune oi vlaxoi
thanks for the link, the translation paragraph is based, applies to all literature imo.

μαν μου give some modern greek poetry recomendetions

Ρένος Αποστολίδης that's all i will say.

who's your favorite love poet? what's your favorite love poem? i'm trying to get into writing love songs but i suck with lyrics and need some motivation

Sir Phillip Sidney if you want to dive in to doe-eyed love.

Phillip Larkin if you want a bitterer contemporary.

sidney is great, he reminds me of shakespeare's sonnet 18, which is a good thing

john donne's ecstasy is the only love poem you will ever need