Is anyone into Persian literature? It's one of the great civilizations that tends to be ignored...

Is anyone into Persian literature? It's one of the great civilizations that tends to be ignored. I find its poetry to be otherworldly and its mythology quite enchanting.

I haven't read any persian poetry per se, but Goethe was also fascinated by Oriental poetry, escapially the persian poet Hafis, so he made his own persian-inspired poetry, the west-east divan

If you are a german reader I recommend thus reading the w.-ö. diven
If you read persian, or are interested in persian poetry you might wanna check out Hafis

what Persian poets do you recommend? And what do Persian's write in? Arabic?

the big names are hafez, saadi, and maulana (rumi)

underrated poets include khayyam, attar of nishapur, and ganjavi

modern poets, I'd recommend ahmad shamlu and sohrab sepehri

for mythology, ferdowsi's shahnameh

persians write in the perso-arabic script. pretty much arabic with some tweaks

awesome thanks for the recs

there is a lot more magic and surprise in arabic and persian poetry. you can see their tradition and how vastly it varies from the Anglo-American tradition in poetry. For the Persians, words were acts of magic, very powerful things. In America, I think words used more as tools.

>and its mythology quite enchanting.
Isn't there nothing left of it besides the book of kings? I thought all the pre-islam poetry had been destroyed

As far as I know Hafez is apparently Shakespeare-tier amazing but has no even marginally decent translation in English.

>It's one of the great civilizations
This is true fair enough

>perso-arabic script
No, that is not persia anymore. Islamic conquest was the end of persia, the rise of sand nigger hegemony.

>Islamic conquest was the end of persia, the rise of sand nigger hegemony.

And yet it was Persians who gave us "Arabic numerals" and the Islamic Golden Age.

They also beat Arabs at cooking.

1001 nights is pretty good, if you like stories in the vein of Aesop's fables, but with oriental basis

>be sand niggers ravaging through middle east conquering and converting by force
>finally kill everyone who opposes you in the immediate area
>find ancient greek and ancient persian texts
>start up the bon fire
>read some
>"hey this is actually pretty interesting stuff"
>burn everything isnt so interesting

Muh sand nigger golden age

Persians didn't do that. Arabs did. That's why Iranians hate them.
Iranians are the same as ancient Persians, just Shia. Not Sunni, which most Muslims are, exactly because it's seen as too Arab.

>arabic lettering
>arabic interbreeding
>arabic religion
>arabic overlords
>arabic Hajj
Yeah okay Jafar

>might wanna check out Hafis

Hafez is debatably the most famous of Persian poets, there is no way that someone could be Iranian and not heard of him

Other famous Iranian poets: Attar, Khayyam, Saadi, Rumi (called Molana by Iranians), Rudaki Ferdowsi (the national poet, preserved the Persian language), Nima Yushij (father of modern Persian poetry)

Most Iranians are famous with all of the above (at least they know their names). The poetry is much, much richer in Persian though. Persian is without a doubt in my mind the best language in the world for poetry.

>Muh sand nigger golden age

Except it was literally Muslim Aryans who made the Islamic golden age.

there is supposed to be a comma between Rudaki and Ferdowsi... two different people

>Persian is without a doubt in my mind the best language in the world for poetry.

That polyglot Tim Doner (who is Jewish btw - not that should matter) says of all the languages he knows, Persian is his favorite.

There is indeed something alluring about the Persian language.

There's also the Bundahishn and Denkard.

>Islamic conquest was the end of persia

But it wasn't.

Yes, there are probably more than 10 words for love, all with like varying levels of intensity. There are probably tens if not a hundred metaphors for love.

I mean just talking about words, off the top of my head (and I am not fully fluent), there is:

-dooset daram = i like you (but does extend to love as well)

-asheqetam = i love you (pretty much the same meaning as english "i love you")

-sheydatam = i love you (almost obsessive though, like I can't stop thinking about you, almost to the being of being demented)

-atasheh delam = the fire of my heart

-majnoonetam = i love you (but this is based on the myth of the lovers leili and majnoon, majnoon was said to be driven insane by his love for leili who he couldn't be with in life), i think the eric clapton song "leila" is based on this myth

azizami = you are my beloved (or maybe dear one)

There are probably a hundred others. So it has a rich vocabulary for the senses and spiritual stuff. In addition, it is slow and sounds nice, kind of like French. Additionally, it is very easy to make words rhyme together.

I've heard some expressions would be the equivalent of:

I'm getting tired = Sleep is carrying me away

Plug in the power (electricity) = Strike lighting into it

It does seem like a highly poetic language.

>I must pay tribute to Zarathustra, a Persian, for Persians were the first who thought of history in its full entirety.

>It was much more fortunate if Persians became masters (Herr) of the Greeks, than the very Romans.

Was he right?

Germans are the biggest Persia-boos.

>Persian literature
i know persian literature well but im not really into it

>underrated poets include khayyam
how the fuck hayyam is underrated user. you mean overrated. he's literally pleb filter

>mythology, ferdowsi's shahnameh
how the fuck it is mythology. its a unnetural destan. a fake odessey

When people think of Khayyam, they think of his mathematical and scientific contributions. In truth, his poetry was pretty damn good.

>a fake odessey

No. Shahnameh is the accumulation of thousands of years of Zoroastrian mythology and Iranian folklore and oral traditions, with sprinkles of history here and there.

negro do you even know what a destan means?

>his poetry was pretty damn good
i was talking about his poetry.

Is Persian top tier hard to learn?

not really if you are western. i mean turks learned persian and its nothing like turkish. so it should be easier to an english speaker. persian is a germanic language too

>persian is a germanic language too

I don't know a lot of Farsi, yet reading the Mathnawi out loud can be very soothing

I'm very much a fan of the language - hoping to learn it sometime soon

>persian is a germanic language too
u wot m8

There is literally no word for "I love you in Parsi"

عاشقتم- is literally I am your lover.
عشق-the only word for love

نمى دونستم كه يكس بتونه آنقدر احمق باشه

Farsi and Dari have heap loads of English cognates, and they use Arab roots better then Arabic itself, which makes it very easy. Plus the majority of verbs use the same conjugation for most active and passive verbs. So, unlike English, most verbs you just need to know how to conjugate "shodan" "kardan" "daadan" "zadan"..etc. very easy to learn. It is also prepositional, similar to English.

Nope.
Persians write in Persian aka Urdu or Pashto but they use the Arabic script.