Wine Thread

What is Veeky Forums drinking this evening?

Post your current/most recent bottle, or just your general preferences, and recommend new wines for others to try based on their tastes.

I'm finishing off a bottle of pic related for dinner tonight, and I like malbec and cab sauv. My next bottle will probably be a zinfandel, any recs would be appreciated.

Pic related, going to open one in a bit. Waiting till 5PM to curb the hangover.

I'm a big fan of targeting $8-$12 bottles for most nights and seeing what cheaper brands are the most enjoyable. I save corks for a friend that uses them for arts and crafts, but they also help me remember ones I've gone back for multiple times.

I drink this every day with lunch

I save corks as well, but I recently discovered an app called Vivino, where you can take a photo of a bottle and it will bring up all kinds of information, peoples' reviews, and recommendations based on your tastes.
The most I've spend on a bottle was $22, and the cheapest bottle I've bought was $6.

I'd have thrown the menage a trois cork away; had some of that stuff at an in-law's place, and it was sickly sweet. Might just be my limited tastes, though; I only care for dry wines, particularly reds.

i love chiliean cab/sauvs
sucker for malbecs too

I bought that to try last week. Didn't strike me as particularly sweet, but it was definitely brighter and less deep than I typically like. like a snare drum compared to a timpani

This was pretty damn good for a shot in the dark cab sav, bit more tannin but solid. Would recommend for a with dinner wine thats not one of the big name brands

reposting an photo to warn yall about the cab on the left. tasted like it was aged for 1000 years in a living oak tree
would have been quite nice if it wasn't so overpowered by oak.
The malbec on the right I don't really remember, so take that as you will.

I've been drinking white wines at what I would normally consider red wine temperature recently, and it's amazing how much flavor some whites have. Yeah some of it is like shit beer and only drinkable when its cold but I've had $10 bottles with a really nice fruitiness I was never able to taste before. I thought I only liked reds but I'm really enjoying trying out whites now.

Am I off base here or is white wine usually served too cold?

Bought it while it was on sale and I've fallen head over heels in love. Best chard I've ever had.

I usually enjoy some fruitieness but I generally do not enjoy wines that are super fruity but I think I just found a new favorite that completely breaks that rule. (Pic related)

Current favorites:

Riesling
Künstler, Rheingau (2012)
Gustave Lorentz, Alsace (2016)

Chardonnay
Petit Chablis Domaine Sainte Claire, Chablis (2015)

Shiraz/Syrah
Penfold's Kalimna Bin 28, South Eastern Australia (2014)

Grenache
Xavier[Châteauneuf-du-Pape], Côtes du Rhônes (2012)

Pinot Noir
Bollinger Special Cuvée[brut], Champagne (n/a)

Will check out. Thanks for the great tip. I recently moved to the states and I'm having a tough time navigating the wines.

If you like chilean wine and cab sauvs... I would highly recommend a rare blend from the emiliana vineyard peeps.

It's Called Gê and is 40% Syrah, 30% Cab sauv and 30% Carmenere. The grapes are from the Colchagua valley and Rapel valley(Carmenere) respectively.

It is absolutely stunningly good. I tried the 2011 and 2013 vintages and both were superb.
It's pretty fruity - dark fruits. It also has some tobacco notes and cedar. it's very rich which I love and the tannins are not extreme like in some other rich reds from there.

Sounds great.
I'm unfamiliar with this wine.
What makes it so great? Can you describe it a bit?

Not my pic but crazy good wine.
A little pricey but worth it.

tequila with ginger ale on ice. didn't see the shit had caramel color in it(the ale) but i already paid for it so fucx it

That is some funky looking wine you've got there OP. How would you describe it?

Don't treat wine by its color. Treat it based on all its characteristics, of which color should not be your primary concern. Plenty of red wines go well with smoked fish. Plenty of white wines go well with hearty beef dishes. What I mean to say, the temperature you set your wine to should be decided by the wine's flavor profile - not its color.

but the general norm (being mostly true if you don't know the wine or it's something special) it's 15ªC for reds, 8ºC for whites.
I personally take red warmer because it only tastes acid to me if it's too cold

I like goon

Not sure if you're the same guy I wrote to or not but if you are, you have clearly noticed that this rule of thumb is insufficient; besides, drinking wine is a very personal experience too.

Anyways, as another rule of thumb the fruitier the wine the colder you can serve it. There are many exceptions to this rule - in both directions.

Have fun experimenting. Just make sure you remember to write down which temperatures you enjoy most for which wines.

Addendum:
In general I would avoid ever serving the vast majority of wine warmer than 16C but how low you want your wines chilled is a little less set in stone in my experience.

R U GAY?

That cab sav was such a steal here in uk, could get 2 for £9

Now they're £6-7 ea, fucking brexit cunts