Is there such thing as a secular philosophy that encourages isolation?

is there such thing as a secular philosophy that encourages isolation?

Other urls found in this thread:

hermitary.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes.

Duh.

Nietzsche

Potentially Egoism

Uncle Ted

Isolating as an atheist is a waste of time. Why would you deny the only world you got?

nope. I don't think so

nope

I'll look into it, but it's probably deranged

that's why I'm askin m8

>I'll look into it, but it's probably deranged
you can't judge a book by it's cover and you can't judge a person for sending a dozen mail bombs. We all have bad days

>nope. I don't think so
Well you're wrong. In Thus Spoke Zarathustra he encourages you to spend time alone in nature.

Walden Lake?

okay but Nietzsche's philosophy does not hold spending time alone in nature as the highest achievement we should aim for. Pretty much every person and worldview is probably going to make room for spending time alone in nature, but very few if any make being alone central

True, but his secular philosophy still "encourages isolation"

bump

No such thing as a secular philosophy

Schopenhauerian asceticism

Yoga tradition is ascetic and not bound to religion. And if anyone thinks "but Hinduism", they don't know.

When your right wing views are so well-founded and stated that your domestic terrorism doesn't dissuade the academic left from applauding your work

I think Nietzsche views isolation in the same way monastic societies did, as a means but not the end (of course, the two had different ends). I don't think any developed thought strives for isolation purely for isolation's sake, because that's shallow.

Also, atheists have an IQ range of 90-110 and often only seek truth in so far as it's the most popular and readily available trend. Christian IQs range from low 50s but cap out in the 200s, and come from all different kinds of approaches to truth, from the most vile (protestantism) to philosophical and theological inquiry. So you get a range of people who are willing to isolate themselves in communities to better themselves.

>still taking IQ seriously in 2017

found the undergrad

It doesn't really encourages isolation though. Seclusion is viewed as something conductive to the practice, but so is action towards others. It's just that Patanjali was such a fucking genius that he knew to include every single facet of the spiritual life in Ashtanga.

This right here.

>I'll look into it, but it's probably deranged
No it's great.

Ted was pretty much right about everything.

Check this out OP:

hermitary.com/

best online source on everything hermit

I think there is an in our time podcast on isolation you might be into user

alternatively you could talk to people

link it friend

>I don't think any developed thought strives for isolation purely for isolation's sake
it wouldn't be "for isolation's sake," it would be because isolation was the best course of action