Who is the great American literary character?

Who is the great American literary character?

My vote is Ignatius Reilly.

I should really get to reading that book someday.

Fuark why is there no Confederacy of Dunces movie starring Nick Offerman???? Better than John Candy would've been imo.

does anyone know what the original ending was?

frank castle

Comics are not literature.

Why is this even coming up here? You have your own board.

its a joke you autist

I see you've give up already and conceded to my argument. You lot truly are a detestible bunch.

>I see you've given up already
>conceded to my argument
>you lot
>detestable bunch

lol nonce fag

I started out thinking he was a piece of shit and it wasn't until after I finished that I realized he was legitimately a genius that was surrounded by pieces of shit. Then the title made sense to me. His mom is the worst. She gets in trouble as a result of her drinking and driving and constantly blames Ignatius for it and then she whores herself out to the old man simply because he has money. Then she has the nerve to accuse him of communism, which results in that officer trailing him which results in the incident that was covered by the newspaper which she then circles back around and blames Ignatius for and tries to have him committed over.

I do love this book.

Hal Incandenza

Emerson's Giant Floating Eyeball

Bit Von Rheingold

The tiger

The whale

I think the communist themes are brilliant. Ignatius ignorantly leads a proletariat revolution under the guise of a crusade out of selfishness. It has more depth than people give it credit for.

augie march is underrated

ahab, tom saywer, gatsby, the judge
all pretty basic but they'd be on any list of your topic I think

>Tom Sawyer
>Not Huck Finn
I think Huck Finn is a better manifestation of America than that douchebag Sawyer. Plus he has more depth and growth as a character.

Tom Joad

Linus from Peanuts.

>implying america is not a douchebag

I think you're reading communist themes into the text when it's just not there. Ignatius had no communist motivation, he was simply trying to improve working conditions and pay in the factory to spite Myrna. These motivations are not unique to Communism. You can be a Capitalist and want to improve working conditions and recognize the progress negros made from picking cotton to tailoring it.

I think he's too old for the role and wouldn't be the most suitable Ignatius. The actor I really want to play Ignatius is Jerry Messing. If you ever saw the show Freaks and Geeks you'll recognize him as Gordon Crisp. He's also the fedora meme guy. His voice is ideal for expressing Ignatius's pedantry.

Very easily Tyrone Slothrop. He is actually the man, has the chillest hombre this side of The Zone (obviously on the other side as well, but that was to be implied); slothrop is the perfect archetypal American.

Ignatius is constantly framed as communist by the other characters while he personally staunchly denies it. I'm not saying he is one, he just acts like one accidentally. Plus he takes upon the persona of a "working boy" in his writings and the bourgeois owner of the factory is the stereotypical lazy capitalist owner feeding off the workers. I don't think the book is about communism but I do think there's a very good joke about the failure of communist ideology in America.

Captain Ahab

Eugene Gant

Ignatius is a genius but he's still kind of a piece of shit, he's bright enough that he should be able to look above and beyond the shitty little life he's built for himself but he doesn't because he's a selfish coward. Yeah he was coddled by his mother and bullied as a kid but he's in his 30's and still lives like he's 15. If Myrna hasn't come for him he'd have happily lived the rest of his life in the asylum, yelling at the TV, jacking off in his room, and lecturing the other lunatics on Boethius.

You can read it in a sitting

Bigger Thomas :^)

Ignatius isn't a genius he's just overeducated.

He's both. He's obviously superior to his peers but he's overeducated to the point of social autism. If he never went to school he'd be as hyperbolic and independent from his society.

Holden Caulfield

Came to post this.

tom sawyer how is this even a question