What is real Chinese food like?

So I keep hearing how you can't judge Chinese food based on American Chinese restaurants. tfw I'll probably never eat real Chinese food. What is it like?

In NYC and southern california there's plenty of "authentic Chinese" it's mostly just popular Cantonese food. Large cities in other places usually have at least 1 place that serves dim sum on weekends but it tends to be overpriced, crowded, and not the best. Still loads better than standard American Chinese though.

dim sum (the stuff your pic is based on) is pretty great. Lots of different dumplings and buns + endless tea. You can get it in America but probably only in metropolitan areas.

Is this really what Chinese food in America looks like

go to chinatown

The thing is American Chinese restaurants generally are "tastier" than real Chinese food as their food uses a lot of MSG, which real Chinese food doesn't use

I had really good chinese food in el cerrito, california, cook was a chef from a high end hotel/restaurant in i believe shanghai. it was just like chinese food, only subtler and better.

rice porridge and cream-filled sponge cakes for breakfast. The main meal was always fish and vegetables served family-style. A lot of times, the fish was skin-on, but not a fish with edible skin. What they'd do is, take a bite, suck the meat out from under the skin, and spit the skins out like watermelon seeds. Speaking of, shitloads of watermelon when it's in season. I don't know why black people got the watermelon stereotype, it should be Chinese people.

Source: worked in a Chinese restaurant for two years.

Simply drown noodles in chili oil.

OHHHHHHH TAI HAO LA

mhhmhmmhmhhm wooooooooooooooooow tai hao le

Dandan is fucking amazing

Varied as fuck and we only get bastardized versions of the most well known dishes. Only way to really experience Chinese food is to go on a month long trip across China.

Chicken feet and meat full of bone fragments. And hot dog pastries.

But really, China is a huge country with a lof of diversity in food.

We make much better Chinese food in the U.S.

Chairman Mao basically murdered anyone who knew how to cook back in the 1950s-1970s because fancy cooking was an effete "four olds" thing that only the elites did. Good workers ate millet gruel and fish balls and were happy with that.

No, I'm not joking.

Hello Kitty is Japanese.

>Only way to really experience Chinese food is to go on a month long trip across China.
It's also a great way to experience kidney failure, food poisoning, and plain old poisoning poisoning. Those mongoloids substitute all sorts of industrial chemicals for food-grade products because they can make ten cents more per day off their sales that way.

Did you (or one of your friends) actually experienced all this? Or are you performing the good ol' pulling out of ass trick?

>What is real Chinese food like
like a shittier version of american chinese food

lots of weird cabbage/bok choi dishes, pickles and other fermented foods, spices and bird flu

Go to your local China town, you'll know when you're there when you see all the Chinese characters and stuff. Then go into any good looking restaurant and try their dumplings, tea, soups, and basically anything. It's real damn good, I'd recommend trying the vegetable steamed dumplings. They're amazing

>t. buttblasted kmt

Eh, that mostly applies to highly processed factory-made foodstuffs (though it's not uncommon for restaurants to use 'recycled' cooking oil to cut costs). Eat as fresh as you can in sanitary eateries with good reputation, and you shouldn't have any real problems. Worst comes to worst, have plenty of RMB at hand for medical treatment. Medical treatment in China is almost never free.