Improving your spoken vocabulary

Bit of an unusual topic here.

How do I improve the quality of my speech? I still refer to things as awesome and say dude all the time. Sometimes I get frustrated when I can't express what I mean with my words. And also I want to stop using swears as a general intensifier.

Does anyone have any advice? I want my speech to reflect the things that I really think and feel.

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@immeasurablematt/dr-jordan-b-petersons-10-step-guide-to-clearer-thinking-through-essay-writing-1ab79a94937
youtube.com/watch?v=zH4WHE0HZe8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hate to be the one to tell you this but your speech does reflect the things that you really think. Surrounding yourself with articulate people and reading often can have a positive effect on your vocabulary. Since becoming part of a new group isn't always easy you could in the meantime listen to lectures and podcasts by well-spoken people.

Well I agree with you and I will admit that I don't read as often as I should. I'm a former /v/irgin and I'm sure you know how uneducated that paints me as. I just have recently noticed that I'm 23 and talk like a 13 year old.

>I just have recently noticed that I'm 23 and talk like a 13 year old.

Most people do, using complex vocabulary on random conversations is extremely autistic.

I'm glad I'm not part of your social circle.

I'm in the same boat OP. I even considered making a similar thread.

My problem is slightly worse however. My grasp of idioms is terrible and I constantly forget simple words. For example, I'll try to explain something semi complex to a friend but just give up after a while because I can't put it into words. Then an hour/day/week/month later I'll come across a basic idiom/figure of speech that perfectly encapsulated what I was trying to say, the kind of phrase that comes naturally to the average person on the spot.

It's so frustrating, and the worst thing is that the more I overthink things the more the problem is aggravated. To the point now that I can barely communicate in person, let alone in writing (i.e. online).

>inb4 what did he meme by this

use your brain as much as you can, numb yourself with Veeky Forums, vidya and yt as little as you can. active vocabulary (in opposition to passive vocabulary, which is being able to tell word's meaning upon seeing it) reflects your brain's processing speed. How fast it can reach the resource it needs, the word you know, but just can't recall. To get that speed up read. If you watch a movie, think about it for a while. If you listen to music, don't do anything else. Talk a lot to people. Walk a lot (you'll think a lot then). That's it.

try to pause a second before you say something

seriously

just stay away from nigger colloquials

medium.com/@immeasurablematt/dr-jordan-b-petersons-10-step-guide-to-clearer-thinking-through-essay-writing-1ab79a94937

>sed on thinking is likely to be far less painful and more productive than action based upon ignorance. So, if you want to have a life characterized by competence, productivity, security, originality and engagement rather than one that is nasty, brutish and short, you need to think carefully about important issues. There is no better way to do so than to write. This is because writing extends your memory, facilitates editing and clarifies your thinking.
Tell me what do you guys think about this

Very silly.

you might actually just be autistic desu

I've had people tell me that following what I say is incredibly complicated/difficult. People often say "wait, what?" and I'm starting to get self conscious, and try to keep things as simple as possible. Is it the 'tism, schizo or just plain low iq?

You might just have anxiety and become inarticulate without realizing it. No biggie.

Start a let's play channel and just practice talking, even if you get no viewers what so ever. Just uploading an hour long video of you talking about something every day is a lot of practice, don't try to sound patrician, because only tryhards do that. Watch Northernlion and just see how good he is about just rambling about something, something like that takes a lot of skill and practice.

>there are at least 15 of the 50 Veeky Forums users RIGHT NOW using nigger babble

I think some people are just born to express better with writing.

So you're not one of them?

Honestly I'm constantly using new vocab. I don't feel like I really understand a word until I apply it.

Doctor P some some serious pathologies he needs to sort out.

he does make dank brostep tho

youtube.com/watch?v=zH4WHE0HZe8

I am, but English isn't my native. Plus I don't tryhard much when I say something anonymously.

You should never use a word that has a simpler synonym. Deliberately being verbose is just embarrassing.

>Trying to be wordy is just embarrassing.
FTFY

Synonyms don't real. No two words have identical meanings.

Flammable and Inflammable

like most anons said, reading will help. It doesn't even need to be "highbrow" books- just books with a broad vocab. I have a pretty large vocabulary (not to toot my own horn) but I also read the dictionary when I was young. It really is just consuming the words. If you have an e-book, do what I do and look up every word you don't know. (I save them, so I have a history of words I've looked up) It's my favorite function and I do it when I'm online too.

Honestly user it's not worth it. No one will understand you or make fun of you

Not worth it, I find myself using archaic language all the time and hate myself for it, so does everyone else

My case is worse. Not only I'm bad at English, but I also became worse in my native language somehow by knowing more than 1 language.

My experiences have been that the less I care about the particular words I use and the better I feel about myself mentally and physically the better my quality of speech in all thinkable categories, from spontaneous, casual use of spicy idioms in my language (German) to stronk rhetoric to more extensive vocabulary.

I believe for this reason speech is a matter of attitude and inclination, and ultimately your world/self view. You speak not only as you think but as you feel.

Remember like jordy/dawkins said it's all a meme/myth and your brain is prone to that. When I was younger I remember imitating the speech patterns of some fitness guy on youtube because lifting was my biggest hobby and I perceived him as really charismatic at the time.

keep it simple moron.
unless you're in some discussion that requires context-specific buzzwords you never need to use big words.

>spontaneous, casual use of spicy idioms

How do I improve this?

>but I also became worse in my native language somehow by knowing more than 1 language.

I'm not even fluent in the other language I'm learning, but jesus christ I've noticed this too. What's up with that? Even basic concepts are very troublesome to articulate verbally now, and often times I just stop midsentence because I can't think of how to continue
>tfw actually became retarded

Read more. There is no other possible method. The vast majority of people you will meet have less vocabulary than the nearest book.

sesquipedalianism obfuscates pellucidity

Kek. I hope that was intentional.

Be that way. Easier said than done of course but make a routine out of imagining yourself as the guy who is good at those things and find a role model to watch on yt or something, not in order to mimic what he says directly but to observe what you really admire in him, his style of wit and attitude towards himself and the world (and read, obviously). As you think so shall you become. That's my best guess, because I don't think there exists a mechanical way to improve that sort of thing, really, I've tried rote learning with little success personally.

tldr; holistic approach or nothing Sorry for the late reply.

Best advice in thread

>big words confuse me

You're either 13 or a manbaby. Either way, leave and don't come back.

Pure thinking makes things worse. I'm constantly having pretend conversations in my head and all it leads to is me consolidating the words I'm familiar with (because they come to mind repeatedly) at the expense of other words. You essentially get stuck in a formula.

i had the same problem and recently i was diagnosed with undifferentiated schizophrenia

He never said it was confusing. He said it was autistic, which it is. Work on your reading comprehension next time.

I was blessed with a strong so I feel it doesn't matter too much what I say, although I do get complimented on my speaking a lot which I always find funny. It is really loud though. I have a lot of trouble speaking softly because my habbit is always to project so I can be heard over the wind.