Biggest books

What's the thickest book on your shelf?

an early 20th century dictionary

The Complte Works of Shakespeare. The runner up is a tie between Gibbons, and a sexy copy of the Iliad and the Odyssey.

>The Complte Works of Shakespeare.
Same for me. Otherwise probably 2666 or Against the Day

What edition of 2666 is that?

Do anthologies count?

you're all fucking children

Not sure this is an insult or implications of pedo prowling ground

Leopardi's Zibaldone.

hahahah

She told me she was 18!

3v. St. Simon, 3v. Proust, 3v. American Language (Mencken), 4v. Macaulay (England), 6v. Gibbon, 3v. Hegel's Encyclopedia, 3v. Hegel's History of Philosophy. These are the longest, I believe.

infinite jest but i dropped that about 150 pages in. six four by hideo yokoyama would be the next one at around close to 600 i think. it was good

A Drifting Life is a great manga, and though unfortunately Tastumi's surrealist short stories aren't nearly as good, he's probably the closest to a Veeky Forums mangaka we can get

Metro 2033

Basic Works of Aristotle. 1487 pages.

I've only read about 3/4 of it, though

The fact that you're hear speaks more volumes than those books.

Against the day, by the Pynch

Middlemarch

I hate it

A Drifting Life is amazing but why do you have two copies of it? My largest book is either House of Leaves(UK version is massive), or A Week of Kindness, both of them dwarf every other book on my shelf.

My diary desu.

Second place is Clarissa. She was T H I C C

In pure width the thiccest is a collection of Steinbeck novels, but it is only 950 pages. By page numbers, Count of Monte Cristo is the biggest

Hardcover: Atlas Shrugged

Paperback: The source (Michener on Israel)

War and Peace

this

Probably The Instructions, but that's because the pages are thicker than usual so they could market it for its size. It's hard to tell. The Anatomy of Melancholy is practically a cube.

Good Night Moon

Are you the ones that argue that The Crying of Lot 49 is Pynchon's best novel and call books you've never read too long-winded and pretentious? Get over it. Long books aren't inherently better, but I'd rather read a 1,000 page story written by a master than a novella any day.

>all those damn books
>none of them have a single crease in their spine
pseud. nice collection though.

you're a boy in your teens or early twenties who wants to feel like he has a big penis. you don't. read a 300 page book

My list of bitches I've totally banged

Count of Monte Cristo

what edition of hegel's philosophy of history do you have?

not that user but i make it a point not to crease the shit out of the spines because that renders them pretty fragile for subsequent readings.

Pretty Sure Don Quixote's thicker than IJ after half-assed comparison so that

is there any reason to read the unabridged version? i have one from modern library thats like 800 pages

Are there really adults who think you have to ruin your books to prove you've read them? I'll tell you what, if you can guess which books are read and which are unread, I'll send you any book you want in that picture.

that's a fine fucking shelf of books, my man. top notch taste.

Oh, I have another place for those, friend. Also, my penis is likely right around average, if not a bit smaller, and I'm okay with that. It makes me sad that there's anons on here that have to convince themselves that people who read the books they won't touch are doing so only to seem smart. On an anonymous board....

>illustrated by john tenniel
>that cover art :(

This and i think my penguin dumas oddly

Bison Books, '96 printing. Old Haldane translation, however-- first text with Hegel's name on it I ever read.

Thanks user. I like it, and I've loved the novels I've read so far on that shelf (only about 60% of them, to be honest, I buy them much faster than I read them). It's not like anyone else couldn't have it if they spent all their extra cash on books like I do, I have a problem.

same

I have an edition with proper formatting and actual readable text and it's enormous

Got the picture of google but this

I had to throw it away in order to make room for other books.
But I had a 68000 reference manual with info about circuits and mnemonics for the 68k and some of the variants. It was pretty huge as it wasn't just thick but also had height and depth to make all those big schematics, diagrams and flowcharts readable.

Die Sieben Säulen der Weisheit by TE Lawrence

IJ might be thicker but this thing is the longest and with tiny text

I think Clarissa wins this one for me. It really should be several volumes. I'm not sure which version I have, but it looks like they downsized it for the black penguin classic.

One of Peter F. Hamiltons Nights Dawn trilogy books. I dont even know why i have them, found them cheap from antiquarian and only ever finished the first book, they are like 1200++ pages a piece.

>three copies of women and men

why

wait fuck never mind

probably m&d for me, since I usually buy paperbacks but I have a hardcover of M&D since it was $5 and a first edition. That book is so big

yeah yeah, it's a matter of childishness to break a spine.
in reality, where real adults live, people don't have time to strain their eyes with pages slanted inwards. i fucking open my books with elation, knowing that if i desire another book after its foundation has been strained, i can go buy another one. i don't purchase first editions or signed copies because therein lay the childishness. and to try to turn it around, as though creasing spines were nearly so vain as to display a shelf of unread books that will be sure to get (you)s.

Yockey's Imperium

Top three are:
>Catholic translation of the Bible
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Hegel's lectures of the philosophy of world history

Three volume paperback set. It's neat.

besides complete works, probably city of god. its ~1.2k pages as a penguin classic

None of those look read, at all.

gentlemen don't crease

What's your favourite book on your shelf?

It's probably between Dom Quixote and The History of Western Philosophy

Scratch that, it's the fucking Harrison's Internal Med, at least 2000+ pages. But I don't think that counts

The Norton Shakespeare, but the Riverside Chaucer gives it a good challenge

the courtly lover, as opposed to the carnal lover

>1k page paperback
>not creasing or slight wear

You havent read any of those. And barring any other shelf, you have zero original taste.

Gravity's Rainbow, for sure. I'd like to say something original, but that's the only one up there I've read more than once, and it's the one that's most often in my thoughts. Obviously, the other Pynchons are up there as well, as is Women and Men, 2666, The Recognitions, White Noise, Wittgenstein's Mistress, The Third Policeman. I honestly tend to like the tomes more, though, but that seems to trigger the plebs when I say that.

You're honestly retarded beyond hope if you can't keep your spines nice. It's not even difficult. Also, you responded to a different person. Again, anyone who can point out which are read and which aren't can pick any book up there for themselves, I'm not even kidding. The covers are bent, sure, but I want my books to last, so they will. Also, that's about 1/4 of what I own, I have a problem when it comes to buying books.

This is a sad comment. You're literally trying to justify not being able to keep your belongings nice. I've never had to strain my eyes while reading, it's always comfy as fuck, so I'm having a really hard time understanding just what the fuck you're talking about. Also, a lot of those were second copies anyway, as I find nicer editions at Goodwill or used bookstores and sub them in. I do like first editions, though, but I also sell books too. Seems like a petty thing to be so butthurt about, friend, and it comes across as defensiveness because you're probably 12 and can't keep your shit nice. The best part is that I just know, as does everyone else, that you don't read, and I guarantee you haven't read a single book on the shelf I posted. Just get over it. Go to a different thread. You're getting laughed at bud

I agree with you.
I have a "few" books I consider memorabilia for one reason or another, but besides those I rather save time than books.
Why keep tons of neatly stacked well-preserved books that nobody will ever read again?

After I die, it will all be thrown in a dumpster anyway. No matter how much I claim them to have some sort of value.

What if you plan on rereading them for the rest of your life? Also, how the hell does it save time to fuck up the spines?

Yes, sometimes I do read them again and it's not a problem at all. If it's a lower quality binding a few pages can become lose but it's not very common.
For some people, the gentle treatment of everyday objects comes naturally. Comparable to how some people carefully checking each garments instruction before laundry. If your mind is somewhere else, you just toss it in, and let the natural selection weed out the clothes incapable of your rough treatment. The same can be said for mant of my books. I don't waste focus on being careful with the wrapping and it leaves me free to think about the words.

Fair enough. It honestly doesn't take up even a fraction of my thought. In my opinion, I'd have to actively try to be fucking up the spine, because the way I hold books doesn't bend it at all, and it seems like the most comfy way to hold them. Also, quite a few in that pic have been opened flat on my bed so I could use my hands for other things, and that still didn't break the spines. I guess I just don't understand how it happens.

xD

It's in two separate volumes, but probably Romance Of The Three Kingdoms.

Those collectors edition books from Barnes & Noble. I have John Carter of Mars, H.P. Lovecraft collection, Complete works of William Shakespeare and the Story of King Aruthur and his Knights. I have yet to read any of them.

m&d
against the day
infinite jest

How do you even make that mistake?

Against the Day