Where to start with Baudrillard? I've been trying to read him more but I can't seem to find a good introduction...

Where to start with Baudrillard? I've been trying to read him more but I can't seem to find a good introduction. Should I be reading other Frenchies alongside him?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S9645423#p9645729
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In last nights baudrillard thread, I posted the following suggestions for starting places.
--------------------
I suggest starting with America or the Transparency of Evil. Both are essentialy collections of aphorisms. It'll give you a good feel for him.

If you want to get into his theory on simulation, then Simulation and Simulacra, followed by The Perfect Crime are what you want.

Impossible Exchange is a good half-way point between simulation arguments and aphorism.

IF you want commentary on current events, then The Spirit of Terrorism, The Gulf War Did Not Take Place are good.

Passwords is a short book that functions as a Baudrillard Glossary of sorts. It's not a bad place to start and is really brief.

I never watched this and I never will lol

Before you dive into his books, I recommend The Jean Baudrillard Reader, edited by Steve Redhead. Baudrillard's views appeared to evolve during his career, and he wrote on a diverse range of topics; with the reader, you can find what most interests you and follow that.

No need to read too many other guys unless you want to, but in the event that you do, this isn't a terrible list. McLuhan should be on it tho.

Is right. I have mad love for System of Objects, The Consumer Society and Symbolic Exchange & Death but it kind of depends on what you're interested in too. He writes on all kinds of stuff.

gonna dump some baudrillard excerpts. This one on the heresy of denying reality is really nice.

Micheal Jackson as a Child Prosthesis to reconcile all differences of race, sex and gender.

I think Baudrillard read this too at some point, not sure. Anyways.

Oh, damn! You guys were actually very helpful. I must confess I had very low expectations for actual serious answers to be provided by Veeky Forums. Glad I was mistaken!

I will follow your advice. I had started reading America but it was so fragmented and sparse that I was having doubts about the validity of the book. I should get back to it. [These are from America, right?]

Interesting. But wouldn't reading a third party before the actual material cloud my judgement?

Are we in the middle of an ARG? all this Baudrillard posting then this girl's video surfaces.

I'm skeptical.

and especially appropriate for a philosopher whose major themes include simulation...

There was a thread about Baudrillard yesterday that 404'd, you can read more there too.

warosu.org/lit/thread/S9645423#p9645729

Oh, thank you! I will read the log.

Who's this girl again?

>[These (You)
> (You) are from America, right?]

no, the first on the heresy of denying reality is from Exiles of Dialogue. The second on Michael Jackson is Transparency of Evil.

ontologicool

How OP found pic related:

>1. See Baudrillard thread
>2. YouTube Baudrillard
>3. Find Pic related
>4. Determine he must share qt stoner philosopher girl with online friends
>5. forget he doesn't get karma
>6. get sad when lit destroys her channel

i kek'd

More?

Nothing quite as good as that one. ontologicool is a qt tho

Seems an idiot. Typical. Her voice is alright to listen to though.

>Interesting. But wouldn't reading a third party before the actual material cloud my judgement?

It's not a secondary source, it's a collection of essays and excerpts from Baudrillard's books, so you will actually be reading Baudrillard. Unless you're worried that Steve Redhead's editorial judgment of what to include and what not to include will cloud your judgment, but then you wouldn't be here asking anons for Baudrillard recommendations if you were worried about that.

>tfw the version on libgen says it's the 2nd edition but it's the 1st