Overrated food thread

Overrated food thread

Pic related. Tried a few the classic way, fresh with a squirt of lemon, but I cannot see all the hype about it.

It just tastes like stale and sour saltwater.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprese_salad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How fresh was it?

people die eating raw oysters

Try them smoked.

Tfw kilpatrick connisuer

Oysters are better when you saute them in white wine and some butter.

I got them from a shop for delicacies. I was told that they are fresh, and from previous experiences with that shop I know that they sell good quality stuff.
Not an online shop of course...

How close are you to the coast? Like I only eat oysters when I'm in Florida and I'm near the beach, they serve fresh ones on big trays of ice. Taste amazingly flavorful, the lemon just adds some zest to it.

The saltwater will give you diarrhea.

Low test

something like 400 miles air distance

Didn't get any diarrhea though

That's a lot for fresh oysters pham

thats why you cook it dumbass, even if you just got a lighter

Pizza.

Cooking oysters is a sin.

How are these overrated? I have never met anyone who didn't hate them.

It's literally cheese with slices of tomato.

Literally fucking nothing, why does it even have a name

only eat oysters right off the boat. vinegar > lemon I think too.

one of my all time greatest meals ever was snarfing down a bucket of oysters on the Normandy coast

>I tried something I didn’t like
>therefore it’s overrated

Everyone else must just be wrong and following some kind of weird mob mentality. Thank you for shining your bright beacon of truth light on the huddled masses. If it wasn’t for your generous thread posting, we would be forever stuck in our meme-eating ways.

Pretty tasty though.

>Literally fucking nothing
Try using real tomatoes

>400 miles air distance
So you haven't had real raw oysters? fuck off you retard, come down to New Orleans, sit your ass in Drago's(not the downtown one) and order you a dozen, dab that shit with the horseradish sauce(even if you don't like it) and eat that shit

It's like you are shitting on steak in general because you got a bad steak from walmart

>you haven't had REAL (food) until you take time out of your life to drive hundreds of miles to (shithole) and visit THIS SPECIFIC PLACE (NOT this other place in the same area with the same name I don't like that one)

Every time.

>acting like the food in New Orleans isn't the best in the world
>Acting like a local would eat at the same shitty tourist spots in the French Quarter
>Acting like eating oysters caught a couple miles away is not fucking great

Anything beef.

This.
Best salad I ever had was out one night at an italian joint and it was just vine ripened tomatoes with minced onion and a beef fat vinagrette, i still think about it, tried making it home but I cant buy tomatoes that good, gotta grow them yourself.

Sushi

>>acting like the food in New Orleans isn't the best in the world

Hahahahahaha

To be fair, 650km is a long way for seafood to travel. You need to eat that shit right out of the ocean.

This
I don't know shit about USA but I know New Orleans has some of Americas best food

Flash-frozen is fine.
Perhaps even better, as it kills parasites.

Can honestly say I've had oysters in new Orleans, nothing all that great. Also didn't see the point in crawfish. Beniets we're good though but that's really all I liked in the week I was there

Also, for all the praise it gets, can't stand left over pasta

>gulf oysters

Warm water oysters are far below the quality of cold water like you find in the PNW or NE. And given the fact the gulf is literally the septic field of the toxic US agri/industrial wastes, I'd avoid at all cost.

I unironically love this. It has a name?

truffle. smells like a mixture of wet dog, rancid socks, topped with fresh moss. tastes like dirt

Like you said, you don't know shit about USA. There is no such thing as one place having the "best" food. Every area has their specialty's and most of the time it's damn good. Pork chops from iowa, bbq from Kansas and Texas, sea food from both coasts, venison from the north and it just keeps going like that. To be honest I've found New Orleans to be pretty over rated. Hit up other places in Louisiana and you can get amazing Creole cooking. Someone who says only one area in a huge country has the "best" anything is just a fucking moron.

Caprese is a common name for it. It covers basically any type of mozzarella and tomato salad/pairing. Plus it gives restaurants an excuse to up charge the hell out of it and try to sound more Gourmet.

With farmers markets becoming more and more popular you can get some great veggies in lots of places you weren't able to. Google your area and most have one now even if it's just one day a week.

stale + sour = not fresh
I'm not a big fan of oysters but I've eaten enough of them over the years to know you got some old oysters bub. I ran a raw bar for about ten years and we got several different kinds of ousters fro different areas of the country. Stale and sour were never considered a good thing

No, it's the perfect food.

if they taste stale, they're probably not that fresh.
anyways, oysters are overrated and so is foie gras and lobster.

Freezing kills the oyster which then starts to taste sour/bitter. That's usually the sign that oysters have been frozen.

no

>thats why you cook it dumbass, even if you just got a lighter
This. Also ingesting it through the mouth has been known to cause illness, so after heating it with a lighter I usually inject it between my toes.

Nigga, you need to do them in a shooter

>oyster
>vodka
>cocktail sauce

You fucking pleb, its like you don't want to get drunk while eating delicious shit. Ever been to cantlers? Yeah, i have and me and fucking Jimmy Buffett ate oyster shooters all day there and then I crashed on his boat. Next morning we went to the renaissance festival and ate fucking turkey legs while eating more oyster shots

>2014
>not eating oysters with Jimmy Buffett while wearing knight armor

Fuck you

My thoughts exactly.
> have a bag in my fridge gathered two miles from my house yesterday.

You only eat oysters in cold months down here, they are more salty and flavorful that way

Also crawfish is only good when it is boiled by a real cajun, not in a restaurant, or maybe it's too spicy and delicious for your yankee taste

Dude what you need to try is some good chargrilled oysters. One thing they do very right down here in New Orleans is these little bastards, they're so damn good. A little garlic butter and some Parmesan, maybe some bread to soak up the juices. Just fantastic.

When I say New Orleans I don't mean the French Quarter, I mean that whole section, Ofc when you go to the French Quarter for "authentic" cajun food you won't get shit or it will be very hard to find if you are not a local.

New Orleans is fucking huge, and spending a week in the quarter or downtown is not spending time in New Orleans, don't get me wrong, I love going there, but I know most of the great hole in the wall fucked up looking joints that have really good food.

Also Cajun food is in fact the best American food because it is the only one with culture behind it that doesn't taste like ass, there's a good reason why the Top 5 happiest cities are in Louisiana and why we are so fucking fat

Also Canes originated in Baton Rouge so the only real rival I see with Southern LA is NYC

I honestly just got slimy, everyone else said there were good so I don't think they were out of season or anything. And the crawfish were kinda bland and chewy

Yeah crawfish is best when families do it imo, like my pawpaw makes 2 batches, one kinda spicy for the women and children and one super fucking spicy and flavorful for the men, After 20 years of living here i've found that crawfish varies from family to family, i've even seen an irish twist on it that wasn't bad.

As for oysters, for a non seafood lover it takes a really good oyster for someone to appreciate it, kinda like eating raw fish for the first time, but oysters are opposite of crawfish, you find the best oysters in restaurants

lol if chargrilled was as cheap as raw, I would never touch another raw one, in BR they have places that put bacon and cheddar on them and my fucking god it's almost too good

>muh secret restaurants
>muh culture

Stop being a faggot

>result to calling someone a faggot when they have no further argument
Lol okay buddy

Also the restaurants aren't secret, they're in the open, but people are too touristy to want to go to a trashy place, also Cajun is arguably the only real culture in America that is noticeably different than any other culture in America

if you think oysters are over rated quite frankly I'll suck the dick off your pelvis, bud

I'm calling bullshit

Raw oyster suck, Chicago style or oysters Rockefeller are infinitely superior

You sound like the faggots from philly.
>Oh that's not a REAL philly cheesesteak, you gotta go HERE for that!
>Oh you went THERE? That's not where the REAL philly food is! You gotta go HERE!
>Oh you went there TOO? Well that's not the BEST! It's really over HERE!
Cajun food is good but its massively fucking overrated. It's a bunch of cayenne dumped on shitty swamp varmints.

spice. any type of spice is overrated and just some globalist plot to get me to accept shitskins.

just salt for me thanks spicejew.

Cajun culture is identical to nigger culture except gayer because of french influence

Fun fact no one eats that shit except Cajuns and niggers so it can't be any good

>Cajun food is gross! It's a nigger food! Cajuns are niggers!

Didn't say that. Just said it's overrated. Because it is.

Mostly directed towards the other faggot, and I probably have a bias since my last name was one of those on the boats that came here, and half of my family are basically professional chefs, like my uncle made a stir-fry pastalaya tonight, and it came out awesome, it's not overrated because you have never tried Cajun food. We barely use Cayenne, the only spice we use when we use it is Tony's, but other than that we get most of the flavor from gratin and other grease type shit, like when making a jambalaya we'll brown the pork, then take it out then brown the sausage, then take that out, then put the onions in that grease that the pork and sausage was is and mix it all together, sad a lot of people will never try this shit

>It's not overrated cause you've never had REAL cajun food!
Refer to my first post, faggot. Just cause you have some weird identity tie to swamp food doesn't make it some magically god-tier cuisine.
It's swamp food. It's pretty tasty swamp food. But it's still fucking swamp food.

Nice fallacy faggot, forgot that pigs live in the swamp, also forgot that chickens live in a swamp, the reason that it is so much better is because of salty faggots like you who reject anything that isn't bland and tasteless

underrated post

>Cajun food is primarily pork and chicken, not swamp fish and roadkill
>Bringing up fallacies while literally pulling the "That's not REAL [type of cuisine]!" card
You're pretty pathetic desu

>cherry picking and guessing what cajun food is, then trying to sound like you know what the fuck you're talking about
>That's not REAL [type of cuisine] is fucking true and you know it
>says desu

>cherry picking
I'm not. Crawfish, frog, and other swamp critters are very common in traditional cajun, pig and chicken only got popular when economics and transport allowed them to be cheap enough.
>But that's not REAL cajun!!!@!!@! My family is REAL cajun cooks and we make REAL cajuns!@
Enjoy your swamp soup.

>Pig and chicken are not traditional Cajun food
What? Are you fucking stupid? My great great grandfather was literally a chicken farmer, most cajuns had cows, and pigs and shit, have you been down here? There's more farm land than swamps

>enjoy your swamp soup
I will faggot, it's better than anything you've made

>pig and chicken ONLY GOT POPULAR
there I emphasized it for you since you're retarded.

>ARE YOU RETARDED
There I emphasized it for you, Cajuns ate everything, my great great grandfather didn't farm chickens to fuck them, pork and chicken have always been apart of Cajun culture

>only got POPULAR
>POPULAR
>EXTREMELY COMMON AND EASY TO OBTAIN
there does that make it easier
if you think those animals were regularly used for meat until recently then you're a lot stupider than you've already shown yourself to be, especially considering you seem to think you're some lord of southern cuisine.

>tfw my oppressive religion means i am unable to eat Bat

Pretty sure these are just a test to see if you can swallow a load of cum.

Ive had ostrich and cocodrile burgers, where the must delicious shit i ever tasted

Purple Mangosteen is fucking god tier fruit

>senpai
ftfy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprese_salad
It's actually really good

was meant for

>got them from a shop
you mean you didn't gather them fresh from the sea by yourself? FUCK ME

Pancakes.

Everybody seems to like them but they're just bland as fuck.

This is a good example of the type of food that can be good with top quality ingredients - like fresh cheese and actually good tomatoes instead of the flavorless crossbred shit that supermarkets sell.

Store cheese and tomatoes is inevitably going to be pretty poor.

They don't sell cheese in stores where you live? Do you buy roadside cheese or make your own?

>They don't sell cheese in stores where you live?

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I think is point is that the average cheese you'd find in a store is going to be of low quality and thus won't taste all that great. For example, any US supermarket will have "mozzarella". But it will be a bland, boring, industrial version. Genuine Mozz de Bufo? Good luck finding that at a normal market.

He's right though. The French quarter is for tourists. Most of the places in the FQ stay open because of the tourists. In the rest of NOLA, the food competition is so strong that only the good places stay open.

This. The quarter is only good for touristy crap and Verdi mart.

Candy in general

Also chips

Basically all sweet stuff

It is the best way to have seafood though, when you can literally wade in and grab some and eat it on the shore like it was some kind of fruit