Try and tell parents about books I read

>try and tell parents about books I read
>"too complicated for me haha :)"
>"not really into old dusty books like that, but thanks"
>"does it help get a job?"
>"academics doesn't help in the real world, user. you have to be hard working and industrious, not with your head in books"

What's it like having parents who enjoy literature?

What's it like having parents at all user?

They don't exist, yet they love blaming the younger generation for their "ignorance".

>my son read "On the Road"
>ask him how the job search is going
>can hear him typing on his mechanical keyboard as I am trying to sleep in the next room

>>"academics doesn't help in the real world, user. you have to be hard working and industrious, not with your head in books"
true

The ones who read absolute garbage, and think they're smarter than you are worse. Those people drag down the entire concept of literature, while the non-reading parent just slightly annoys angsty teenagers. I had parents like that, so I understand the frustration; but don't be so quick to denigrate hard work and industriousness. If you can't communicate about anything other than books, you're probably not as much of an intellectual as you fancy yourself.

Warren Buffett reads 500 pages a day. What an idiot.

yeah and those are all financial reports from businesses he owns

He has people to do most of that grunt work.
Google some of his recommend book lists.

ten bucks says it's faggy shit like "good to great" and "confessions of a stock operator" and maybe some pop history crap about the founding fathers

Well yeah, no one was expecting Flaubert.

>'The Essays of Warren Buffett' by Warren Buffett

so he has his own essays on his own reading list? lmao

My parents literally want me to major on philosophy just because I understand it pretty easily
They dont't understand that I'm actually retarded

yeah, it's easy to impress your parents with some philosophy memes you picked up on Veeky Forums, but it's much harder to actually do a degree in it, when you try to submit a paper of /pol/tier misreadings of something your professor isn't going to play along like your mom does

>"too complicated for me haha :)"
I fucking hate this and everything related to it. Nothing makes me reee internally harder than when people decide they're incapable of something before even attempting it, even more so when they bring it up again upon their first misstep going "whoops, told you, cant do it"
Random tangent but whatever.

Unless your proff is Jordan Peterson

but he's a psychologist not a philosophy prof

I'm the same way. Whenever I hear someone say that something is too hard or too difficult before they've even tried I always think lesser of them afterwards.This applies to everything, not just literature.

Then why does he go bitching about pomo philosophy if he probably hasn't even studied it

because he's a fucking pseud cashing in on the alt-right wave for some quick bux

How can someone be such a pseud after so many years of being an academic

Derrida does seem like a resentful philosophy super villain tho desu

you realise it's a polite dismissal because they believe something is irrelevant and useless?

>work in a used book store
>it's one of the best things to happen in my life
>tfw parents are making me quit and get an office job because "standing around talking about books isn't a real work"

yeah well they're probably hoping you'll move out of their basement and stop being such a beta

This

My father is a pseud. He once downloaded a Dostoevsky audiobook. He never actually listened to it but he likes to brag about having it.

I am a pseud and for the life of me I can't understand anything when my parents talk about Lacan. surely nobody can comprehend his ridiculous pseudo-mathematics and it's not just me?

Derrida is more humanist than JBP.

uhh no

sounds comfy bro, try to keep that job