Nihilism is...

Nihilism is . . . not only the belief that everything deserves to perish; but one actually puts one's shoulder to the plough; one destroys" (Will to Power)
Some of the edgiest text I've ever read
What the FUCK did Nietzsche mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnqzu.com/library/Philosophy/neoreaction/Friedrich Nietzsche/Friedrich_Nietzsche - Philosophy_in_the_Tragic_Age_of_the_Greeks_(tr._Marianne_Cowan_1996).pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=1Bix44C1EzY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's not meant to be edgy

He was writing against Christianity and to a lesser extent Buddhism

Did you read Will to Power or did you take that quote out of context?

Im on page 13 right now
Not really digging the Nazi vibe im getting off this book tbwh

Nietzsche also wrote at length against anti-Semites. The Nazis took parts of his philosophy that they liked and used it to their own ends.

Also, Will to Power isn't the best place to start with Nietzsche. Why not get a collected anthology of his work first?

I don't know if it's well known here, but The Will to Power is largely apocryphal. The major part of it is other Nietzsche's books drafts reorganized and rewritten by his sister.
It becomes hard to know what comes from where, it really isn't the best book to start Nietzsche with.

Why do people view philosophy like this?
>start with the greeks
What if you aren't interested in reading every stupid idea under the sun.

Nihilism for example is a fucking stupid belief. It's disproven by the human experience.

Can someone post some quotes of the belief of will to power?

>Not really digging the Nazi vibe im getting off this book tbwh
Please consider becoming a nihilist and live it to its ultimate finality.

Because if you don't give yourself a decent grounding and understanding of philosophy (typically done by starting with the greeks), then you end up believing stupid shit.

Exactly like you.

suck my dick you faggot nerd
Reading anything written before the 16th century(with few exceptions) is a waste of time because at that point philosophy already included and had built upon the "greeks"

You're going to assume I don't know what I'm talking about?

Then debate me. Give me an argument for nihilism, I'll give you one against it and we'll see which one of us believes stupid shit.

I think i know her? Or is this someone famous.

give name then my friend
This is just a pic I ripped from some post somewhere
I use it to start ">tfw no occult gf" or ">thanks for agreeing to be a donor for my ritual, the blood of a virgin is hard to find these days" threads pretty frequently

nevermind, not her. The tattoos are wrong.

>What if you aren't interested in reading every stupid idea under the sun.
Well, that's why I recommended a collection of his works that gives a general overview of his ideas.

>Can someone post some quotes of the belief of will to power?
No -- look what happened to OP!

I'm saying I don't give a shit about his ideas other than Will to Power. I want to read about a specific set of ideas, not a person's different ideas over time.

Nietzsche didn't subscribe to nihilism. He was set to obliterate it in that book.

I thought he fell into the nihilistic trap for a while.

Post some actual Will to Power quotes, mang. Make it esoteric and lets discuss the meaning

yeah, but he failed to do so and only strengthened it

>not really digging the nazi vibe

U fuk wit Hitler adopted übermensch from Nietzsche. Get your shit together and actually read a book.

>Nihilism is . . . not only the belief that everything deserves to perish; but one actually puts one's shoulder to the plough; one destroys" (Will to Power)
>Nietzsche utterly refuted by a generic tumblr image
BTFO

how will continental crybabies ever recover?

And you refuted yourself by posting the pic. Happiness is better than sadness, right? That's not nihilistic

Nihilism doesn't doesn't equate to sadness. That's the point.

>how will continental crybabies ever recover?

they cant and never will

But but sadness is worse than happiness. Something you agree with. This means happiness, and all things that bring happiness have some intrinsic value.

Nihilism is a practice in self delusion

Nice sophistry.

Different things make different people sad or happy. What is better for one is worse for another, what causes one happiness causes another sadness. The fact that everything is subjective is the very definition of nihilism. It's an objection against objective truth/meaning, not subjective truth/meaning. The fact that happiness is preferable is not a contradiction to the individual.

w2c that led zeppelin poster?

>Different things make people sad or happy
It doesn't matter what makes them happy. It's the fact that happiness - or more to the point, pleasure - exists, and that it's better than sadness (ie pain).
This gives weight to everything.

Then there's the fact the the only way to ensure maximal pleasure is maximal power. Meaning the point of life to find pleasure in becoming powerful.

This takes for granted that I think we can train ourselves to find pleasure in different things. If it's possible to find pleasure in eating healthy for example, it's possible for anyone to do it

you've clearly never met a masochist

and again the fact that happiness exists isn't counter to nihilism in any fucking way

If the point of life is to be happy then then that would mean there is meaning to life.

But happiness can mean anything you dumb faggot, so no action is intrinsically valuable. You're struggling with a very simple idea.

and the point of one life is pointless to another

very weighty indeed

You refuted yourself with your pic. The fag on the right doesn't give a shit about anything, he absolutely does contribute to the destruction of things due to his worldly negligence.

>worldly negligence
if you move those goal posts any further they'll be out in space

Do you have any recommendation with what to start with? I'm currently reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra but I feel it's not the best idea to start with it.

Nihilism, like every other consequence of choice, relied on the competition of two or more desires.

It is, of course, the wrong choice not only by its own accord, but those of others. Surely the belief that nothing can be wrong would lend ear to the doubt that perhaps that very thought is wrong? They have doubted things from their world. Why stop there?
Alas, they have become the cruel mockery of blind faith themselves.

>worldly negligence.
>implying I owe anything to this world or anyone who inhabits it
Spooked as fuck senpai.

Spooks are defined by the narrative one holds. To thank people, to desire to help people... it is no different from the desire to eat. One can manage without the other for longer, but you do eat. So why not help others? I do believe that you eat to maintain yourself, or to prevent pain. So why not help others?
You harm yourself in not helping others. Karmic as fuck.

>So why not help others?
Because I'm not spooked by some facile ideology like karma or christendom. To help others comes at a personal cost, this is unnatural, the result of social conditioning infringing upon your better senses and interests.

>Because I'm not spooked by some facile ideology like karma or christendom.
It is a desire to help others, not merely in a system. "The system" is more of a structure, like your parents told you when to eat or how to eat with the tools, they probably didn't need to teach you to eat.
To me it seems that you are spooked by the atavistic hatred or opposition to ideologies and their structures and weights they put on things, their priorities and their hierarchies.

>freedom is slavery

>Calendar is bondage

GRAVITY IS OPPRESSING ME HELP HELP

>And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and He will teach us of His ways, and we will walk in His paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And He shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

The whole point is to destroy and rebuild. You do not just wreck everything and then rest content with how edgy you just were.

I think HATH's working title was the ploughshare, but it was too heavyhanded. Nietzshe is not a nihilist by modern standards. He wants people to be free from, but it is not a negative conception of freedom: people are definitely meant to be free within a framework of ubermorals (or something).

>>Then there's the fact the the only way to ensure maximal pleasure is maximal power. Meaning the point of life to find pleasure in becoming powerful.
this is what betas believe

>freedom is clinging to spooks like ''society''

Oh my god....

NIETZSCHE WASN'T A NIHILIST YOU CUNTS!!!

A nihilist arguing, is basically just an arrogant prick saying "nothint is valuable except what I have to say."

Yer duh sofis', dawg.

This is the average Veeky Forums poster everybody

>Im 13 right now
>Not digging the Nazi vibe
You will grow up in a way that lets you not reduce things. Perhaps you will learn to use ' as well.

tfw no qt occult gf

Start with the Greeks instead

So long as no tats and no cuts you should be able to bring one back to sanity.

Zarathustra is a terrible place to start. I would recommend starting with Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks, his second written book which he never actually finished making it a short read on his thoughts about some of the Pre-Socratics. Reading link here:

cnqzu.com/library/Philosophy/neoreaction/Friedrich Nietzsche/Friedrich_Nietzsche - Philosophy_in_the_Tragic_Age_of_the_Greeks_(tr._Marianne_Cowan_1996).pdf

After that, keep going in chronological order. Untimely Meditations, Human All Too Human, The Dawn, The Gay Science, etc. Thus Spoke Zarathustra is a major turning point in Nietzsche and is when he finally begins to express all of his core ideas at once, but the book is in the form of allegory intended to mimic the structure of the bible and in the original German is written heavily in a lyrical sense (the whole thing is like a song). All of his books after Zarathustra expand on what is said in that book. So, you can skip over it and read everything else, and then go back to Zarathustra, or read it twice — once in chronological order and again at the end.

Nihilism . . . total rejection of established laws and institutions . . . an extreme form of skepticism: the denial of all real existence or the possibility of an objective basis for truth (Oxford English Dictionary)
Some of the edgiest text I've ever read
What the FUCK did the Oxford University Press mean by this?

We can't know for sure.

nihilist dubs win

>I won against falsehood
>t. nihilist
youtube.com/watch?v=1Bix44C1EzY

Something very strange happened to me today. I ended up in an existential crisis for half and hour and felt very sad. I'm 24 and I've never felt sad in my life. I always had problems feeling angry or frustrated but never have I felt sad. I only felt sad in high school when having love problems, but that was not existential crisis type of sadness.

I ended up in this due to a new contemplation that I've did last night. I contemplated something in the lines of things are futile in the idea that it might reduce craving. Or something about existence meaning suffering in itself, something different than the normal way of "perceiving suffering in impermanence". I really don't know exactly how I contemplated last night but it was something new and I didn't realize I was contemplating in exactly the way that would get me in an existential crisis.

During this half an hour of feeling sad, I had some bad ideas coming into my mind. Ideas that are normal for existential depression.
Depression and narcissism speaking for me: This is actually how things are in reality and I've been deluded so far. Maybe I reached a new level of advancement as a buddhist and realized how things really are.

Then I said "wait a minute, I am feeling sad right now and I am not supposed to be feeling sad. Buddha path is said to be joyfull". Then I remembered that sutta where some monks comited suicide due to contemplating wrongly. And then I remembered that half the memes when googling "existentialist meme" were about depression when I searched for memes about postmodernism criticism. And I realized I have contemplated the day before exactly in this wrong way and ended up in an existential crisis the day after.

It might look funny to me right now but it was very bad just a couple of hours ago. I do not wish anyone to get in such a terrible state. Sadness is worse than angriness or frustration that people normally experience. It's not like melancholy witch is a relatively joyful state, it's simply sadness. And it's such a stupid way to suffer. I saw there is even a meme about this being the most stupid way of suffering. You don't suffer due to job problems or some serious reason, you suffer out of simple stupidity of attending in a wrong way. And people who spend too much time in this develop this tendency and then suffer a long time. And they can't even get out of it cause of all the wrong views that appear while you are in that state. It's such a useless and stupid suffering.

My question is about weather existential philosophy generally causes existential crisis since so many memes when googling "existentialism meme" are about that. Are existentialist basically forced by their philosophy to contemplate things in this wrong way, or can they just hold these views without contemplating like that ? I assume this is a big problem for atheist too. I've never been an atheist so I don't know. Many people in the west are atheist and these futility of existence ideas and way of attending to things is normal for an atheist, it's the natural logical conclusion. So they eventually might end up contemplating in this wrong way.

In case you've been an atheist or existentialist, is this a common problem or people simply hold some views but never attend in this way ?

Reason is a tool. Never make it the master. Reason serves you when you do or plan to do, not on being. Reason can be a tool to eradicate or displace obstacles, so it is often confused as the solution to everything. This is not so.
Think of your reason as your most highly sophisticated piece of technology.

Sadness is not wrong. It is not an obstacle.

Happiness itself is intrinsic, you stupid FUCK

I agree with that, but that doesn't prove nihilism if that's what you're saying

>Nietzsche also wrote at length against anti-Semites.
fucking dropped

Bitch please. Nietzsche was an autistic sperg who shat himself from eating too much fruit and went mad over looking at a fucking horse. Nobody should take him seriously.

>but muh master morality
That was just Nietzsche's way of saying waaah i don't wanna play by the rules mommy

>Nihilism for example is a fucking stupid belief. It's disproven by the human experience.
>my subjective meanings prove the existence of objective meaning

chill bro

So weird he was like this when he referred to Dostovsky as one of the greatest psychologicists of all time.

You experience life through your own consciousness, therefore the rest of the universe only matters insofar as it affects you. Your significance to the universe wouldn't logically matter to you. Your happiness does. It's an intrinsic and immutable part of existence. Finding ultimate happiness is the point of life.

>Nihilism for example is a fucking stupid belief. It's disproven by the human experience.
You don't under Nihilism at all if you genuinely believe this.

You are conflating concepts that can't be conflated. This thread is dumb and so are you.