Cookbooks

So Veeky Forums what's your go to cook book?

What are some cookbooks to become a great cook with?

Pic related is a one I use along with America's test kitchen and an instant pot book.

I mostly use Youtube nowadays since cookbooks are stingy with pictures.

Allrecipes.com

You are probably an imbecile overwhelmed with thick datastream from books

youtube.com

can't imagine why you'd buy a cook "Book" in the 2010s

Damn, Mom.

I got a bunch, both physical and digital but the one I always bust out is an old one from my elementary school that the PTA put together with parents and teachers back in the 80's, my parents and grandparents submitted a bunch and i always make my parents/grandparents's recipes

That cook book is a solid memory of childhood.

I was given a bunch of Jamie Oliver books when i first started cooking and they are great for someone without much experience to make home cook dishes with easy to follow recipes and suggestions on changing the dish to make something completely different.
I'd reccomend them to someone who has just started cooking.

My mom used to spank me with that cook book as a kid.

my go to for italian is marcella hazan's essentials of classic italian cooking.
pic related is pretty good too.

We have quite a few regional cook books here in Croatia because cuisines are pretty damn different north and south, but I'd love to get my hands on something foreign yet with recipes I can actually cook without going bankrupt. Perhaps something more continental?

CookingComically.com

that sounds hot. tell me more, user. i like to think about children getting beaten when i jerk off

Lean in 15, the recipes take longer than 15 minutes though

Try Italian/Greeks/Spanish themed books since you've a similar climate I imagine similar ingredients might be easy to come by

General/Fundamentals:
La Methode and La Technique - Jacques Pepin (or the later compilation "Complete Techniques")
Mastering the Art of French Cooking - Julia Child
Modernist Cuisine
Joy of Cooking (especially the 1960-1970s editions)
Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
The Professional Chef (current edition is expensive, previous editions very economical)
Ethnic/Speciality:
Charcuterie - Ruhlman (sausages, cured meats)
Bread Baker's Apprentice
Pok Pok - Andy Ricker (Thai)
Thai Street Food - David Thompson (Thai)
Land of Plenty - Fuchsia Dunlop (Sichuan Chinese)
Mastering the Art of Japanese Home cooking - Moriomoto
Iron Chef Chen's Knockout Chinese - Chen Kenichi
Mrs. Beeton's - British
Heritage - Sean Brock (US Southern)
Into the Vietnamese Kitchen - Andrea Nguyen
Anything by Steven Raichlen (grilling and BBQ)
Franklin Barbecue - Aaron Franklin (BBQ, especially brisket)
Various books by Gordon Ramsay (Excellent if the topic is British/French; other cuisines hit-and-miss)
On Food and Cooking - Harold McGee (science, background, theory)

The internet is my go to but I have a few specific books I've been into lately. Pic related, plus CookingInRussia youtube companion books and a few ice cream books (hello my name is ice cream, and ample hills creamery)

Usually I just bust out some of my grandmas old recipes, but I saved the recipe book from an old restaurant I used to work at. My boss had a large laminated list of sauces and meal recipes that I took when I left. Most of it is basic shit you can find on the internet, but it’s a great starting point for some nice southern cooking.

I usually use youtube but I laso read Escoffier every once in a while

I went to the Habitat for Humanity store and picked up a Betty Crocker cookbook from the early 70s.

Tried their chili and it was kino

>Mastering the Art of Japanese Home cooking - Moriomoto

Is there any cookbook that gives an overview of all the asian cuisines or should I just buy books for each like this one?

I got me a pocket version of ops book. Bought it for a quarter at a book sale. Hate America's test kitchen, sorry.
You don't buy cook books for specific recipes you already know about but don't know how to cook. You buy them because it's curated knowledge about specific genres of cooking. By reading the books I learn about recipes I didn't even know to ask about or Google. Pic related is a chunk of my collection, I've loaned a few out.

>Is there any cookbook that gives an overview of all the asian cuisines

yeah cause there's only 50,000
youtube. don't buy cook books, there is no reason to buy cook books. use youtube.

>use youtube
meme cooks with no qualifications whatsoever

get one cookbook for $20 from an author who is a renowned chef and be done with it

This. Can get them used for even cheaper and you get a wealth of recipes and knowledge including history and cultural context. Only the poorest of poorfag plebs think books are a bad investment.

>yeah cause there's only 50,000
I'm aware, that's why I said overview
I'm mainly interested into regional chinese, korean and japanese

And most people on youtube are so clueless I don't trust them

You do realize that there are actual chefs on Youtube, right? Pepin is an example.

My go to book. Haven't tried all the recipes but what I have tried is good. His turkey recipe is on point, my family loves it.

You do realize pepin has a book with far more information than could ever be fit into a cooking segment, right?

And what does that have to do with people saying there are no one qualified on Youtube? Yes, books have more info than videos. News at 11.

So you admit books are superior to YouTube videos.

Nope. It would depend on who wrote it. I would rather watch a 30 minute video from Pepin than to read a cookbook by Rachael Ray. People watch the videos for ease of use, price, and the visual aspect of it.

You're straying from the argument. All things being equal books are superior to videos unless you are illiterate. If it takes you longer to read a recipe than watch a video you are borderline illiterate.

You're the ones who's straying. The other person said there was no one qualified. I said there was. Book and video quality depends on the person making it.

>meme cooks with no qualifications whatsoever

yeah people like Bruno Albouze are "meme cooks" and can't teach you real recipes

better read it out of a book instead where if you're confused about any single thing because it was written hastily/badly (as they all are) you will fuck it up becuase you can't SEE what was done

being able to SEE what was done is 100000000x more important than anything else. SEE how the food is supposed to cook SEE how done it's supposed to be HEAR what it's supposed to sound like cooking

The real truth is that you buy books to pretend to know how to cook and people who use youtube really learn how to cook

>All things being equal books are superior to videos unless you are illiterate

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I disagree. A video can convey better visual information than photos in a book can. It also can convey sound. Both of those can help you learn things that might not be obvious from a print recipe, even with pics.

While I do agree with you in general, this is just plain bunk:
>> if you're confused about any single thing because it was written hastily/badly (as they all are)
When that happens you can simply consult alternate sources or look up the information in question. If the recipe tells you to "saute the peppers and onions" and you have no idea what that means, what heat to use, etc, then you can simply use a dictionary or google to learn what "saute" means and how to do it.

>Is there any cookbook that gives an overview of all the asian cuisines
Not that I have found. Or let me rephrase that: I have seen some that are generically "Asian" but they are awful.

Good Asian cookbooks are surprisingly difficult to find in English. There are lots of them out there but most of them are highly dumbed down. Legit ones are few and far between.

I love youtube, and the internet in general, for cooking research. But the problem with the internet and youtube is that the barrier to entry is so low. There are 50 crap recipes for every 1 good one. Same for youtube videos. Once you're experienced and you can tell the shit recipes from the good ones that's not much of a problem. But for a noob I think books have a major advantage: Someone had to pay a lot of $$ to have them printed. There is an editorial process, approval, etc. That filters out a lot of the BS you see online.

>There are lots of them out there but most of them are highly dumbed down
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, on youtube this is even more true

I appreciate your post but I would recommend On Food and Cooking much higher on that list for people who are serious about learning

I have one cookbook.

The trick to researching "foreign" recipes online is not to search for them in your native language, but to set the language preferences in google to the native language of the recipe, and then using tools to translate them for you.

If it's videos you are after you can do something similar. Instead of looking for a youtube cook who does the recipe in your language, find videos of the dishes being made by native cooks. Even if you can't understand what is being said you can probably figure out the recipe by watching what they are doing. I've learned a lot of Thai and Indian cooking by watching people's vacation videos of street vendors, etc.

will try, thanks user

The Institut Paul Bocuse cookbook is by far the best cookbook around if you're looking to learn European/French/real high-level essentials. This is coming from a guy who has bought hundreds of cookbooks. I really cannot emphasize enough how concise, pretty, and easy to follow this thing is. And it's pretty much authoritative when it comes to French cooking.

For the scientific side of cooking, buy On Food and Cooking. Keep it close for reference, don't try to read it from cover to cover at first.

Modernist is a pretty sweet book but you have to understand that it's really the compiled notes of a rich eccentric guy's food project, which was commissioning a bunch of food scientists to research topics and develop recipes in a multi-million dollar kitchen. If you've got the disposable income, Modernist is a must-have, but it's not nearly as concise or objective as On Food and Cooking. It does, however, delve into more arcane topics. And the photography is second to none.

For beginner bakers, I've gotta suggest Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day.

There are a lot of great cookbooks from great restaurants around the world sharing all of their secrets, but whether or not you're interested in those is going to come down to the type of food you're trying to cook.

Can you photocopy that shit, perchance? I love Grandparent/parent recipes.

bump