17 Days Until Thanksgiving

post recipes for thanksgiving

>Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce is great, but if you want to make it a little more better, add in some cinnamon. Gives it a richer, more complex taste. If you notice your sauce is not solidifying, its probably because you didn't add in enough sugar, you used too much water, or because you're not simmering it. I've seen people add flour to cranberry sauce or gravy to make it more solid, but I personally don't like doing that for cranberry sauce -- makes sense for gravy though.

>Stuffing
Please, for the love of god, do not buy packaged shit. Just use day old bread. I personally like adding green onion and granny smith apples to my stuffing, cut about the same size as the bread cubes.

>Squash
You can do a lot of things with squash. My two personal favorite dishes are mac and cheese with butternut squash chunks and spaghetti squash cooked and served like spaghetti with turkey-tomato sauce.

deep fried turkey

My spread is fairly traditional since my family members all have their favorite dishes they want. Plus every year I throw in a new random dish to mix things up. This year we're having:
Rotisserie Turkey (rotisserie on the grill on the patio)
Gravy (made from drippings and homemade turkey stock)
Stuffing (using a mix of sourdough and french bread as the base)
Cranberry sauce (from scratch of course, it's ridiculously easy to make)
Baked mashed potatoes (these are great because you can make them ahead of timevand bake them the day of).
Green bean casserole (made from scratch, of course, I don't used canned anything to make holiday dinners, ever.)
Baked sweet potatoes stuffed with butter, caramelized onions, s&p, and parmesan cheese
Yeast rolls (which I usually make as cloverleaf rolls because they're easy)
Roasted asparagus
Creamed turnips
Relish tray (pickles, olives, cherry tomatoes, stuffed celery, pickled okra)
Escarole and Fennel Salad
Bourbon Pecan Pie
Butternut Squash Pie
Apple dumplings
Iced tea, wine, water, coffee, hot tea, beer or cocktails, etc.

why do people call it thanksgiving? the food is not given to them, they simply take it. they buy it in a fucking supermarket. should be called thanksbuying.

The people who cook the dinner certainly ARE GIVING. Do you know how much an average thanksgiving dinner costs? And, if it's a potluck style thanksgiving dinner, then everyone is giving and sharing. I'm , and while it's a labor of love for me, it's a hell of a lot of work and costs a small fortune to feed my whole family. Which I'm happy to do, but yeah, I'm definitely giving.

Oh, and I also donate turkeys and other food (as well as blankets, towels, toys, coats, and more) to shelters for thanksgiving and Christmas, so I try to help everyone have a nice holiday season. And I don't need a pat on the back, I'm just pointing out that some people enjoy spreading the love and giving to others. I was poor once, and thankfully am well off now, but I know what it's like to suffer and be dangling on the edge.

I make the best macaroni and cheese on Veeky Forums

Do tell, user! Is that what you're bringing to thanksgiving this year?

I don't like thanksgiving because none of the food has texture, its all soft mush you would feed to babies and old people

I think my family is going out to dinner this year

18 days to black friday fuk yee

It's what I bring every year. I'll post the recipe later if I have more time.

To give thanks to the guy that came up with the blanket idea

Please do, we need more quality recipes here.

Brine your turkeys. Throw in some slices of apples cantaloupes and melons.

Bet you live in a single wide trailer

Brining isn't 100% necessary, especially if you've bought a supermarket turkey that has saline solution already injected. Even if you buy a heritage bird, you can also do a 24r hr dry rub and get the same effect as a brine.

Brining with milk is fucking God mode. Breaks down the fibers just a bit.

If I were to do that, I'd use buttermilk, for the flavor and extra acids.

Can I come??? :(

Honestly sick to death of Thanksgiving foods. It is all bland to me nowadays.

How do you balance between keeping everything fresh, and not having to cook so many things at once?

Yeah that's good too.

Scheduling, scheduling, scheduling. You have to treat Thanksgiving like you're working a pro kitchen. Items that can be prepped ahead, you do it. And write down your service, your cooking times, and double and triple check your ingredients and grocery list.

Bump

So we always talk about food for thanksgiving, but what about drinks?

I call this the Family Bonding Surprise!
1 bottle gin
2 liters minutemaid lemonade
1 more bottle gin
1 cell phone
Dump into a big punch bowl and consume alone at home, making sure to turn your phone off ahead of time.