About to read this. Thoughts on it?

About to read this. Thoughts on it?

Hope you enjoy poo and farts jokes

This is what happens when you read it in translation. Not that the historical or philosophical subtleties are all lost if you can find them to begin with, but the book gets a more superficial tone.

>that typo

Wow how could you get 'E' instead of 'And' fucking morons.

lol

It's the kind of thing children write on bathroom stalls.

by being italian

I don't think it's about the translation, but rather about being a somewhat erudite reader

funniest shit you'll ever read.
really made me re-think Gravity's Rainbow and Pynchon's work all around.
Bakhtin's book on FR is an amazing read.

a wall made of pussies around paris that has a guy with a brush that goes around and whisks away the flies.

why pynchon's work?

Outstanding, you won't regret it.
Also everybody who read this rate the parts
III > I > II > IV > V

plebs

Any recommendations on an english translation for this? Found an early 20thC modern library edition for cheap at a used bookstore, but the recent (post-90s) penguin edition is supposed to be solid, and in general I mistrust older translations, especially of books with crude content.

Any advice?

Carnivalesque

>how do i into a fucking book i should just read
kill yourself

Translation threads are the Brot and Beurre of this board.

Judge for yourself

How difficult is this to read in the original French? I've been wanting to, but the fact that it was written in the 16th century is rather intimidating.

i don't suggest the screech. really had nothing but pain from it. so dense with notes and errata that it really puts the book on an imbalanced spin. i grabbed the cohen, seems much much better.

Very hard to read for low-brow native French readers and many words no longer exist in modern french, which could as easily make things worse for you as put you on equal or better footing if you're not too bad with latin/greek and etymology.

Screech also directly translates obscure references into clear understandable text, which misses the point stylistically and I find is going too far despite the already heavy annotation. Other than that they're both faithful modern translations so the texts shouldn't be radically different.

surprisingly, they have a different style. screech is a little tone deaf, m'fraid.

Let's be frank : pretty hard. Most french readers actually reads him in a modern translation, which is perfectly fine. The Quarto collection, by Gallimard, offers, if i'm not mistaken, a bilingual (old/modern french) edition.

made me laugh. Have a >You

go fuck yourself

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to find!

Raffel's looks amazing. That Screech is awful, like a dissected frog.

Raffel's translations are always very readable but in this passage it's also very inaccurate