Hegel General

Having never read Hegel, is Stephen Houlgate's introduction the best way to proceed?

What would be the prerequisite reading in order to comprehend Phenomenology, or Science of Logic (the texts I'm primarily interested in)? Are there any good lectures on youtube to help understand his philosophy and works?

According to Hegel, the only thing you need to read the Phenomenology is desire to think clearly. It's designed as a didactic text, to take the reader through the history of the self-consciousness of consciousness to the present moment of Hegel's attainment of the System, or Absolute Knowledge.

That said I like Findlay's commentary, Hegel: A Re-Examination for a read-along

Start with his lectures.

>mfw Trump is literally the incarnation of the World Spirit
What do?

Every individual is the incarnation of the world Spirit.

He is psycho babble. Obfuscation.

Wrong, we all take part in the world spirit as it is the totality, the rationality of history. But only very few individuals truly embody the world spirit.

Hegel called Napoleon "the world spirit on horseback". Trump is "the world spirit on twitter".

but Trump is bringing the United States DOWN in the world, that's kinda his whole schtick, dude. Stick your head out of the Anglosphere groupthink once in a while

Kojève's 'Introduction to the reading of Hegel' is pretty good, he's probably one of the more prominent readers of Hegel.

I disagree, his lectures are actually (relatively) easy and enjoyable to read.

Nietzsche said he was a fraud so I don't bother.

Napoleon brought France DOWN in the end. What's your point? It's like your measurement is off. I didn't say it was good for the US that Trump is the incarnation of the World Spirit. I simply said that he is the incarnation. I'm not even a dirty anglo.

>a fraud called somebody else a fraud
lmao how about you eat some fruits and shart all over yourself, you fucking ubermensch

Don't be a faggot, Napoleon achieved true greatness, Trump can't even pass a bill.

He didn't say he was necessarily wrong though, and he actually maintains a lot of similar ideas to Hegel.

the fact that Trump is where he is against all odds proves you wrong

i guess we see it differently. i see the election of trump the united states bowing out of the world stage, and not in a noble fashion, but farce

lol have you read Götzendämmerung (Twilight of the Idols)? this book might as well be called everyone who ever wrote/made music sucks - except Goethe, Heine and Bizet.

Nietzsche (espacially in his late work) called everyone a fraud (going as far back as Plato and Socrates) so if you would only read what Nietzsche told you, you'd better learn some german and read Goethe and Heine all day while listening to some Bizet

>Bowing out of the world stage.
That was literally Obama. Obama was too pussy to cross his own red line he draw in the sand in Syria, Trump was not. Trump also made Saudi Arabia and neighbors chimpout against Qatar, Obama did not. Trump shat on Paris agreement and now other nations are considering dumping it too.

Shut the fuck up, both of you. Take your trumptalk back to plebbit.
We are here to discuss philosophy, not normie politics.

Hegel was extremely influential to politics.
You can go fuck yourself over at your subreddits with strict rules and moderation.

Yes, but simple "NO YOU!!!" arguments do not enhance this thread. The politics you are discussing have little to do with Hegel; they just help to derail the thinking that should be implemented to understand his philosophy.
Now kill yourself.