What's your reading speed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute#Reading_and_comprehension
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

varies between 20-40 pages per hour
but i do really long sessions (3 hours)

100Mph

C

I can read up to 1,000 pages per day, but not more, because I'm bored after reading so much.

It takes me 20 seconds to read one page of 36-40 lines (standard paperbacks), which means I read two lines in one second. Technically, I read 180 pages per hour and thus could read more than 2,000 pages per day, but I want to quit and digest it all after 5 or 6 hours of reading. (Actually I often quit after one hour because I'm always disturbed by other things.)

I have no special technique, my eyes just read and do the job. I can't really explain it.

(This is also my answer for in a previous thread.)

Slow as hell.
My wife was in a tanning bed for 20 minutes today and I hardly finished four pages.

Four fucking pages.

It varies by a huge amount. Typically between 100-250 words per minute.
(And the average for most people here is probably 200-250.)

A lot of books I like to pause and think about while I read.
Some I just glance casually, until I find something worth reading.

(Words per page can vary a lot so not using that measurement.)

30-40 pages per hour if reading in my mother tongue

20-30 in English, though it really depends on how sophisticated the text is

It's slower than reading it with a loud voice, what's your trick to be that slow?

1 page/2min
I read exceedingly slow, but my retention is almost 100%.
I don't trust anyone who claims to "speed read"

Insanely slow, like slow. What's wrong with us? I just have such fucking ABYSMAL reading speed. I drift off thinking in my mind so much while reading... how can I improve? I finish one book per 2 months.

Dyslexia and mild retardation.

speed reading is a meme

My retention is very high, and I'm the fast lad here: .

It is true that I'm significantly slower for textbooks that I have to learn for exams, but I'm still fast: it takes between 45 and 60 seconds per page (60 for the most hostile textbooks) at the first read, but barely 10-15 seconds for a second reading.

>be me a few days ago
>it's 1 AM and I have a public finance exam the same day at 1 PM
>problem.jpg: I know absolutely nothing about public finance
>take my 300-page textbook (never opened it once before)
>read it entirely until 6 PM
>go to bed
>wake up at 11 PM
>take shower, eat, re-read the whole book in one hour in the bus
>now it's 1 PM
>succeed, because I have acquired decent enough knowledge (can quote precise sums, examples, laws, technical terms, etc.)
>could have been much better though, with just another hour to read the book a third time

I always do this and always succeed, I'm a fraud.

Oops, obviously I mean:

>read it entirely until 6 AM
>...
>wake up at 11 AM

(We don't use AM and PM here!)

620-750 words per minute.

Pages per minute isn't really accurate. For example, an article.

I'd gladly do an online test to say how many words per minute I'm reading, but these are all English-based and English is not the tongue I'm using to read.

what the hell she is going to get cancer!!!!!

Brainlet here. How the FUCK do I condition myself to read faster? I constantly trail off and start thinking about other things mid-sentence too.

I have read books in an airplane, so my highest reading speed was probably ~500 mph.

Slow as fuck, it takes me a long time to read 20 pages.

I have a masters degree, and went to Oxford but I'm still not sure I'm not retarded desu.

Hello, Will Hunting LARPers!

Don't transition from your phone or computer to reading immediately. Give yourself time to decompress.
In fact, just reduce your computer use in general.

I never thought about it that particular way actually, thanks m8. I can understand how internet usage and the constant desire for novelty as a result of the former (especially with useless things such as social media) can reduce the attention span, our lives are plagued with addictions such as this. It is good advice for all that frequent this board, in fact.

Currently reading Ulysses, so probably five pages an hour or so, interspersed with bitter weeping

300wpm

so speedy opee faster of the board faster than all the neighborhood i was endowed very good hands and connected to those hands are my fingers and connected to my fingers are my fingernails and that's when i get to the typing uh oh gotta go class is starting ill be thinking about my post long after i've left c ya!

Don't sound out the words in your head, read a few sentences past parts you're stuck on then come back to them, stop being a massive faggot and struggling to passively consume something, shift your body position around

quality post

I'm not sure. I feel like I have two reading speeds. One where it feels slow and I'm basically reading every word in my head and the other is faster without the subvocalization. I don't retain shit when I read the second way, but I breeze through it and I know my eyes hit every word.

I feel like this is also a dumb question because of the content of what you are reading. Compare a legal opinion from a supreme court justice to pulp fiction to prose poetry with no coherent structure to things written hundreds of years ago. Each of these is processed slightly differently and some are meant for quick consumption.

I can go equally fast for these four categories of texts. In my experience, speed depends on the author more than on the genre.

>take like 3 minutes a page typically
>sometimes think I finally figured out how to read faster
>it goes away the next day
>a lot of it's a feeling that I didn't "really" read something, this happens even with comics/manga

Needless to say, that how long to read this site makes me feel terrible.

If you didn't have access to the Internet and cheap and easy human interaction, you would have no problems reading a book. When I had no Internet connection for a few months, I had zero "difficulty" reading.

Whatever the speed of the average 4th grader is.

one letter per hundred milliseconds

How do you read fiction at Veeky Forums post skimming pace?

Does your comprehension change for each of the four?

Also I just timed myself on 20 pages of a legal casebook, 1.6 minutes a page. I remember the general ideas from it, but no detail. I just don't think I have a good working memory for reading. Even when I go slower and take notes, retention is low.

>Reading fast with high accuracy.
Many things influence how fast you can read. Like how the mind interprets entire words as a unique symbol (and not a combination of letters).
It's possible that fast readers may combine word-pairs for the brain to be interpreted as a single symbol.
One study I read concluded that they guess a lot of words from what is most likely or natural choice.

What I'm curious about is if you have checked your vision? Young teenagers often have 1.4 to 1.6 even if 1.0 is considered normal.
I don't know if it's possible to measure how small/large that "focused" part of your vision is. But I'm wondering if people who read fast, also have bigger area with "sharp vision" in order to learn to treat word-combos as one pattern.

>Also I just timed myself on 20 pages of a legal casebook, 1.6 minutes a page
How many words per page?

>Does your comprehension change for each of the four?

Not really if you're familiar with the genre, because you know what you can safely ignore (especially in legal texts). Of course, if you're a freshman reading your first decisions, that's going to be much slower.

Depends on the book. It took me 3 minutes per page when reading The Gulag Archipelago, but about one minute per page when reading Don Quixote.

Use your first three fingers to underline the sentences that you read and pull your eyes along faster.

I am somewhat of a literary prodigy, a lightning fast reader; blink and I've probably turned the page – twice. I feel as though I am finally in my prime, churning through approximately 1,000 pages an hour... Yes, I can read Jane Eyre during my lunch break and still have time to chew through half of Ulysses before returning to work. I don't know about you, but I find most readers to be slow, slack-jawed simians with malformed frontal-lobes. And here's the kicker: I memorize almost everything I read so don't talk to me about "comprehension".

Imagine scanning over a picture assiduously with a magnifying glass and trying to piece together the whole work at the end. Meanwhile I'm sitting 4 feet back in a state of sublime transcendence taking it all in at once.

I don't think it's related to vision. It's more that I think fast in general: my "inner speech" is extremely fast (visual more than vocal), I understand new things fast, I make fast decisions, etc.

Yeah, but do you have a 9 inch cock like I do?

Actually, using a magnifying glass when viewing plastic art is a good thing.

Does adderall increase reading speed? I feel like my ability to hold attention is my bottleneck

I have a 9.5" cock and read books from 10 feet away in a state of sublime transcendence taking it all in at once.

Something like 30-40 pages in an hour or two. Retention is almost perfect so I've never complained. I can probably blow through a whole book pretty quickly with like 400wpm but I would just forget everything which defeats the purpose

>I don't think it's related to vision.
I used to agree with you.
I didn't think that "great vision" was required to read fast until my vision got worse. My reading speed has dropped a lot since then. Part of it has to do with eye-muscles and it can't be adjusted with glasses or surgery.

That's why I'm wondering if you tested your vision? Even with good vision it might been tested in order to get a pilot's license. A friend of mine had "good vision" but with glasses he approached 2.0 which is extremely rare.

No, and I wouldn't want one. Believe it or not even literary prodigies such as myself go through odd non-literary, or even anti-literary phases. I would read anywhere between 8-12 erotica novels every day for 2 months until I went through severe adrenal exhaustion. Anyway, I learned in these books that 9 inch dicks are in fact not desirable whatsoever. One story I read, based on a true story, spoke of the magical penis of a small Indian man. He had a 4 inch penis that curved upward "like a scimitar" that would orgasmically tickle the g-spot of every woman he made love with.

I believed I learned more about women during those two months than I could in a lifetime of relationships. The sexual fantasies of women are something you'd expect from "furries" or gamer kids...Werewolves, vampires, humanoid aliens with great bodies, etc.

400 wpm is actually average speed. It's neither fast nor slow.

Incredible

>400 wpm is actually average speed.
Not according to pretty much every survey I've seen.

Most claim values between 200 and 250 and Wikipedia link cites a study that claims 228±30.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute#Reading_and_comprehension

For comparison it also mentions: "Audiobooks are recommended to be 150–160 words per minute"

Any good software to measure reading speed?

Same here, 2 minutes per page

I only add and subtract, but I'm really good at it.

I don't trust anyone who multiplies.

Do you gentlemen actually read at the same speed for all books? You fellas boast about reading 1000pgs/day, but with what type of book?

I can read 100 pages of Salinger in the same amount of time it takes me to read 20 pages of Parerga and Paralipomena. It took me an hour just to get through three pages of Spinoza.

I tend to read about 25-40 on light fiction and 20ish for philosophy and other dense texts, though when I was without internet for a week, my speed trebled.

>because you know what you can safely ignore

That's the key for every text tqbh. To know what you can dismiss.

Spinoza is light reading, specially if Ethics. Shame you, dear user.