>trying to analyze any kind of novel social phenomena while it's happening

heh

she doesn't differentiate between idpol and liberal idpol

she's one of those who views class and identity as mutually exclusive

so it's kind of shit

it's current year

>tfw Angela pushes her book AGAIN.

is she the tao lin of the alt-right?

contemporary accounts are generally better and more to the point than intellectual wankers analysing things in retrospect desu

My main problem with Nagle is that she grossly oversimplifies and/or glosses over many important phenomena (the etymology of "trolling," for example, deserves at least 3-5 pages, but she refuses to discuss it at all). Many of her examples are lazily chosen and reflect a lack of thought beneath the surface level.

Equally disheartening is Nagle's failure to present her ideas in any kind of logical structure — as opposed to covering things chronologically or as influences on each other, she writes each chapter in what's more or less a vacuum.

Nagle rarely cites sources for her claims. Much of the information here reads like a paraphrased Wikipedia article. On one occasion, Nagle explicitly mentions referring to Wikipedia rather than to primary sources.

Perhaps most damningly, Nagle commits the cardinal sin of prescriptivism in anthropology. She elevates certain online subcultures over others, and often speaks of the people she studies in dismissive and/or otherwise unkind terms.

All in all, "Kill All Normies" fails to say anything new or worthwhile, save a brief (and only somewhat novel) comparison between Yiannopoulos and Buchanan.

>tl;dr It's bad, and it may even misinform.

its actually pretty good despite the occasional misfire. its definitely not as stereotypical as some people here think. it's far from the kind of books written by old people pondering online culture, she actually manages to get it like 80% right.

>etymology of "trolling"... deserves at least 3-5 pages

Yeah, you couldn't even get away with that statement if it was a purely academic paper. Thank god you're not a publisher or you'd probably publish more books like Infinite Jest

Kantbot's review of this book was pretty good.

>implying that this term doesn't deserve a chapter and/or book of its own

I understand the need to simplify for a mass audience, but tons of people are going to come into this book with totally different conceptions of many of the terms Nagle uses. Even if she doesn't address some of the more common pre-conceptions, the least she could do is lay out a concrete definition of her own.

None of this gets at the real problem, which is a near-total lack of insight on the part of the author, but the text might at least approach competence if it were more carefully written.

It's true though.

The screeching queers and diversity admissions on universities are just pitiful, its obvious they are being manipulated by leftists and the liberal managerial state. Sometimes I feel like it would be better to put them to sleep. These people are obviously in pain, they are mentally ill, they will never be happy. If left to their own devices they will destroy all that the West has achieved, reduce our civilisation to a Cult of Victimhood. Where the weakest and most pathetic members of society are wheeled out for the masochistic satisfaction of a gaping crowd obsessed with the image of its own tolerance. Just look at your facebook feed if you don't believe me. You can guarantee they are a net negative for the taxpayer, ie. diversity trainining, affirmative action, lawsuits, welfare, AIDS, sex change

link?

thermidormag.com/angela-nagles-wild-ride/

Noone cares. Fuck off and read global rule 7.

Angela stop pushing this book on us
Just
Stop

this must be the fifth time you've made this thread now, OP. nobody cares.

Go away, Angela.

desu do you guys think we could write a better book about Veeky Forums?

Writing books about Veeky Forums, memes, and internet culture is so 2013.

Veeky Forums - Goonan and Nagle

Angela, your book is shit and you suck at interviews.

Hideous style.

Is kantbot also Girardfag?

Opportunistic dribble written by a social studies PhD who can't find a job.

0/10

Absolutely. Anons would write theses/aphorisms which then get collected/edited and sorted into topics.

One or two anons with a webcrawler could hop around each board and gather key images/words/phrases. These would be organized by board and presented as raw data in an appendix. Likewise, demographic information for each board could be collected and laid out alongside the more linguistic stuff.

After the theses/aphorisms and appendix, a handful of essayists could get together and elaborate on the philosophy and culture that we see firsthand. To strike the right balance, we'd need essayists from multiple boards, political backgrounds, and demographics.

Finally, the user who wants to take responsibility for organizing all this should write an introduction, index, acknowledgements, etc. Contributors who want names or pseudonyms listed would be included as authors.

It'd be the most ambitious project to come out of the site, but I honestly think it's doable.

There was a very perspicacious 'ethnography' of chan culture written by a self-identified user like 10 years ago. It will be pretty dated now, but it does it's possible.

I would contribute desu. I always miss out on the colabs like Hypersohere and am disappointed I didn't participate.

This was better than the introductory paragraphs made it out to be.

Let's do this! You start!

54epill

kantbot tends to make his first paragraphs needlessly dense for some reason. Maybe it's a filter, I don't really know