Homemade garum

Has anyone tried this? I want to sprinkle this on game and salads as to pretend I'm an ancient Roman.

>1. Small fish are covered with salt, spread out in the sun and turned from time to time. When they have been completely fermented they are scooped into a fine-meshed basket that is hanging in a vase. The liquid that seeps into the vase is liquamen.
>2. This is the method that I'll call the Method Wunderlich (see below). Fish (anchovy, mackerel, tuna) is mixed with salt in a ratio of 9:1, then left in a pot in the sun for several months, and stirred occasionally.
>3. For each half liter of fish a whole liter of old wine is added.

I don't have an amphora so I figure a fermentation crock that normally use for sauerkraut fitted with some cheesecloth would be sufficient.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Three-Crabs-Fish-Sauce-Ounce/dp/B0000CNU54
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well shit, that's ambitious. Report back if you survive.

>Has anyone tried this?
Yes. It's called Nước mắm.

Not the same. Different fish are used and fish eggs are also added to make it patrician.

How much of a difference do you there is between one kind of fermented fish sauce from the next?

As a person who has had garum, two-crab, and three-crab; there's a lot of difference. Especially if you're going to use it to season a bowl of rice.

>Old wine
So vinegar? Or oxidized red wine?

That Vietnamese stuff uses a higher ratio of salt to fish. Garum is even stinkier and less salty. Also, the good quality garum apparently uses more tuna than anchovy.

Real garum is long gone. The fish garum was made from was driven to extinction.

>As a person who has had garum
>lying on a Bruneian skinny dipping forum

>two-crab, and three-crab
Not fish.

>That Vietnamese stuff
Pretty much the same shit, dude.

Source?

>amazon.com/Three-Crabs-Fish-Sauce-Ounce/dp/B0000CNU54
I'm pretty sure anchovies are a fish. 3 crabs are just a type and strength, it's not actually crab-sauce.

Fair enough.

This.
You can approximate it, but much like Latin, you'll never know what it was really like.

;(

I am a classical antiquity buff too and I just use red boat

God I want to make out with a giraffe

Same here, actually.

I'm fairly certain you're thinking of Silphium, garum was probably made with any suitably sized fish, most of which still exist today.

Just buy fish sauce, it's basically the same thing. A guy on Youtube tried to make his own and it was terrible.

go buy colartura di alici, it's a medieval version of the recipe and it's top tier stuff. just salt and anchovy. they use barrels rather than pottery

this
I live in Vietnam and tried making some roman dishes with this
tasted good, but idk how accurate it is
also Worcestershire sauce works too

This is where ketchup (fish sauce) came from. What we have now is pretty much nothing like it. Tomatoes took the place of the fish for the savory/umami flavor, but the salt and vinegar(old wine) is still there. Of course, some ketchups have sugar and other stuff added. Keep in mind that lots of cultures developed this type of fish sauce.

I say give it a go, but also research other culture's fermented fish sauces and how those were made. If this is your first fermented item, research what to look for when things go bad (mold, bitter flavor, etc.) There's a big difference between something that if merely strong and overpowering in flavor and something that is bitter and nasty you can't keep in your mouth.

>buy a fancy wine
>don't like the taste, grape drink should be sweet
>dilute it with water and put syrup in it
>mfw
The Romans did it. It's good to be cultured.

The Romans never put syrup in their wine. Resin, herbs, even chalk but never syrup. Hell, the only sweetener they had was honey.

colatura di alici is great, just don't use too much

They sweetened wine with lead

Bagna cauda is similar but without the wine.