When was the last important philosophical book written?

When was the last important philosophical book written?

Other urls found in this thread:

ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/varia/Derrida_Letter.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

never yhu fuk

My next book will be the last important philosophical book of western civilization

No mine

Republic is fantastic but whats with all of that geometry stuff in Timaeus, I had no idea what was going on at that part.

It's questions like this that make it obvious you don't study philosophy at an academic institution.

life and action by Michael Thompson in like 2012. Probably other good works since then too. Lots of them.

It's important work if you're a philosopher. Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature was important across areas of study.

If you're looking for a work of philosophy that is rigorous, it likely won't be accessible enough to influence society at whole. If it's accessible enough to influence society as a whole, it likely isn't rigorous enough philosophy.

Someone like Rorty or Wittgenstein or Foucault who produce massive influence beyond their own field of study are extremely rare, more so as departments become more and more specialized.

When was the last important chemistry book written ? Your average person couldn't answer this any better than yours about philosophy.

mfw when the fantods set in

Goonan?

No idea.

Here's the last one I read though

>It's questions like this that make it obvious you don't study philosophy at an academic institution.
People study non-STEM subjects on Veeky Forums?

Perhaps both you and OP are conflating two completely different notions of importance together. Did Rorty conceive dissolution or did times of dissolution conceive Rorty's ideas? Maybe philosophical bodies of works (specially large compendiums) are only important insofar as they crystallize, internalize and constitute ambient noise into clear sound. But the noise, is what did the influencing.

Why the fuck would you study STEM unless you're dumb + poor and need all the help you can get in receiving a living wage out of undergrad ?

Interesting sophistry.

It's the only thing worth studying.

why is everyone on this board always going on about school?

Fuck school, majors, grades, uniforms, debt, stiff wooden chairs and bureaucracy. No life to be found there. Whatever this S T E M shit means is unimportant.

STEM majors require a shitload of intelligence. My friends taking business can't even look at my software engineering homework

philistine spotted

>my friends who don't know code can't even do my CS/CoE homework !!

No shit smartass. And business majors, really ? Business majors are just Econ majors who can't pass calc and do econometrics. Econ majors would be accounting majors if they were talents at math:

For most here, "there" means "here". Someone living in a shack atop of a mountain would probably have a lot of mountain analogies to everything

Name one important post-ww2 writer that hasn't gone through some years of formal education beyond high school .

Even someone "radical" or out there like Burroughs went to an Ivy League university.

Ken Kesey, father of the west coast acid movement did grad studies at Stanford.

Denis Johnson got an MFA.

We in the Program Era now bitch

If you think school is important then you might as well relinquish within yourself the ability to give weight to your opinion beyond the conventionally sanctioned apparatus that we are all inextricably drawn into like some nightmarish vortexial spiderweb. Go ahead and give weight and moral sanction to the status quo. What a people's champion. What an enigma. What a catalyst for something new and relevant. What a necessary evil. What a [insert another sarcastic thing here].

What a way to dodge a simple question

english translation when

I don't know nor care about the educational background of the authors I enjoy. If anything they all had contempt for the experiences they were forced to endure that went by the name of education.

There were these things called libraries, and any mind so inclined (inspired by the holy spirit) would naturally seek out the information and imagery that kept that flame alive, no social apparatus that dictates your life from age 7 to 17 necessary.

Not the guy you're replying to, but...
Is this actually how you speak? You sound very pretentious and not fun.

2011. On What Matters by Derek Parfit.

content: dismiss
delivery: critique

>I don't know nor care about the educational background of the authors I enjoy. If anything they all had contempt for the experiences they were forced to endure that went by the name of education.
Faulty logic there buddy. Doesn't matter what you think of it, fact is most of them were shaped by higher education. Doesn't matter what they thought of it either.

Everyone is shaped by their past to some extent. We might as well say that since everyone at some point probably experienced [X] in their past, this is now a prerequisite to genius. Nothing doing there. And it does matter what they themselves thought. Otherwise why the hell would you read their books or care what was written in them.

日本語ができないやつらは生きるべきではない

That's a bit harsh. Though I understand the sentiment. Feels good to be able to watch the raws a day or weeks before the plebian masses.

>comparing 19th and early 20th century education to modern day colleges and universities
Lol

In terms of far-reaching influence and including not just books but also papers, I think you might argue the following:
Wittgenstein - Tractatus
Quine - Two dogmas of empiricism

At this point, you might as well settle for an online degree.

>watch
Anime is too fucking boring and stunts intellectual development. Fans end up worshiping the same few anime for years (eg. Evangelion, Lain, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu) and never get better at understanding narratives (or why a complex plot is not the same as a complex narrative).

I find myself reading manga more than watching lately but I would never wholesale deny the medium.

you can't argue with this

/thread

Being Noone by Thomas Metzinger

Is this bait? You cannot possibly be that retarded?
Philosophy died together with Germany, OP. Heidegger is the last significant figure.

The Art of the Deal

Probably this because it is insight to Trump. Much like Meditations was to Aurelius.

Not even being ironic.

Anime fans need to stop caring so much about mere plot and pay more attention to the narratives of the characters.

Above post was meant for you.

And pseuds need to stop assuming that there are characters.

Sam Harris activated my almonds and showed me that philosophy is garbage.

Is this Naruto?

everything else is memeshit

The academicization of literature is why it's so shitty at the moment.

>tfw brainlet that couldn't get into uni
i'll be failure for my life i just know it.

This desu. Modern degrees in creative writing just result in mediocrities.

Ross Jeffries. Speed Seduction, 1990.

Attaining truth is simple; attaining pussy -- that's the real problem,

The academicization of philosophy has brought it to a grinding halt, people like are straight up lying to make it seem like philosophy is still vibrant, in reality contemporary philosophers are more like vultures picking at the straps left over by mathematicians and neuroscientists.

Academicization of these fields has only improved the work in these fields.

Again, almost every great thinker or writer, in any field, has studied said field at a higher institution in the post wwii era. This is not up for debate, it's a fact. I don't see how people could possibly think it's bad that writers are educated in their craft; the Program Era in literature has led to some of the most amazing works in the field, whether experimental or otherwise.

Without knowledge of literary history, critical theory, and other topics, you don't get writers like Pynchon, Kathy Acker, Jennifer Egan, etc.

This is an even dumber point to make than philosophy, especially since people have been doing things similar to doctoral theses/dissertations since Kant's time. Rigorous fields require rigorous study. This is why you will not find a single worthwhile philosopher in the past 100-200 years that did not study at a university.

yikes

by extension, I will never be relevant.

You've fell for the Veeky Forums trap of thinking the philosophy discussed here is in any way related to academic philosophy.

pic related is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest living philosophers yet receives zero discussion on Veeky Forums.

if Jennifer Egan is your prime example of a great Program Era writer, then the program should be destroyed. Pynchon doesn't even fit - all he has is a BA in engineering and then traveled around working different jobs like writers used to. If anything, Pynch shows that you can write without a degree

>has a degree
>you can write without a degree

Thank God you'll never write it.

>You've fell for the Veeky Forums trap of thinking the philosophy discussed here is in any way related to academic philosophy
user gets his education not from books but from a forum about books.

>Again, almost every great thinker or writer, in any field, has studied said field at a higher institution in the post wwii era.
>said field
That post you responded to was dumb, but but so was the one he responded to. The program era has resulted in nothing other than literary sterility, and the academicization of all the arts has helped to spawn cultural nihilism among the general population.

Cool. Got anything to back that up? Figured.

>>pic related is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest living philosophers
only according to autists in academia

>cultural nihilism

Every time.

>Kripke
>Searle
>Chomsky
>Sloterdijk
>Habermas
>Fukuyama
>Nussbaum
>Badiou
>Zizek

>not important contemporary philisophers who wrote important works
>constanza.jpg

>Chomsky
>Zizek
>important philisophers

Chomsky is a retard. Zizek is important though.

For me, Philosophy as it truly mattered all ended with Wittgenstein.

Why are these people not discussed on Veeky Forums?

Witty was pretty good, but it was all downhill from this.

>When was the last important philosophical book written?
i don't know

Please don't reply to my posts anymore unless you can contribute to this hub of intellectualism. Thanks for understanding! :)

Because people here would rather dawdle in the ambiguous mesh of language that is continental philosophy, than to bother trying to learn about the more precise branch of analytic philosophy, which they dismiss as "autist", simply because they're scared to be exposed as idiotic.

whenever I complete the last volume of my diary desu

>Please don't reply to my posts anymore unless you can contribute to
ok

>pic related is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest living philosopher
the guy is a literal autist who writes mostly minutia about logic and math. there's nothing to talk about because he says nothing that matters to anyone

>the guy is a literal autist who writes mostly minutia about logic and math

That's called philosophy. Pro-tip: the shit you call "philosophy" would get laughed out of the philosophy department harder than Derrida was in the 90's.

Derrida entered the department and everyone instantly sucked his dick friend.

>That's called philosophy.
*Analytical philosophy

Continental philosophy is a thing, Anglo.

ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/varia/Derrida_Letter.htm

Literally
Laughed
Out

>Continental philosophy is a thing
Barely, Continental Europe is producing next to zero humanities research.

>Anglo
Sadly no.

pro-tip I graduated from an anglo department retard

read more before you stake your whole identity on being "anti-derrida"

On What Matters is literally having its last volume edited for publication as we write this, and it's already considered a monumental work from the first two volumes and privately circulated manuscripts of the third

>implying you can teach yourself more than professors who have dedicated their life to rigorous study, have multiple published books, and can read ancient languages.

As my philosophy professor said, beat them at their own game. The institution may be flawed but it gives you access to a conversation that has been transpiring for over 2000 years. Take what's valuable to you and forget the rest.

It hasn't been written yet

>M. Derrida's career had its roots in the heady days of the 1960s and his writings continue to reveal their origins in that period. Many of them seem to consist in no small part of elaborate jokes and puns (‘logical phallusies’ and the like), and M. Derrida seems to us to have come close to making a career out of what we regard as translating into the academic sphere tricks and gimmicks similar to those of the Dadaists or of the concrete poets.
>Many French philosophers see in M. Derrida only cause for silent embarrassment, his antics having contributed significantly to the widespread impression that contemporary French philosophy is little more than an object of ridicule.
lel

An engineering degree barely teaches you how to write

The last essay I wrote before I dropped out of 10th grade.

ray bradbury fahrenheit 451
is this considered as a philosophical book?

2011. This will be remembered in centuries, intelectuals from spain and europe have been masturbating to this book for 5 years now

Whatever's the last thing Zizek or Rushdie wrote.

care to summarize it?

>it's not about plato

dang

philosophy is obsolete

Well, it's about two concepts:

-A positive definition of a Republic, instead of defining it as the opposite of a monarchy. In the last part of the book he describes the structure of what is probably the best concept of a constitutional republic to date

-"Collective political freedom" (and this is the most important discovery of this book) as the base of a real democracy and of all rights and liberties of a nation.

It's a bit dense but is one of the best political science book i've ever read, it also critizices what he calls the "parties states", so if you live in europe is a must read.

He's right, though many texts have been written that fire the neurons into loops that carry more weight that a Higgs boson could ever give.

ty user

If it could be named ITT it would still be too important.