“An alcoholic is someone you don't like, who drinks as much as you do.”

“An alcoholic is someone you don't like, who drinks as much as you do.”

i'm dumb and need this explained to me. thanks in advance you fucking losers.

It's a joke.

Some people like to drink a lot, but keep themselves under wraps such that you wouldn't think of calling them an alcoholic.

However, if someone acts like an asshole or eccentric in general (you don't like them) and they happen to drink, you'll angrily call them an alcoholic.

I'm no analytical linguist but I think it's trying to say people just attribute alcoholism to people they don't like when it is likely the have similar drinking habits, because it's an easy thing to call someone who drinks a sizeable amount an alcoholic rather than properly assess their alcohol intake

you guys are proper gents. Thanks for explaining.

But I'm a teetotaler.

Wrong and fucking wrong.

That's a very literal way to appreciate the statement.

As human beings, the way we all tend to cope with the reality that never meets our childlike expectations, verily raped in the ass with all its teddy-bear glory, is through addiction. Addiction comes in many forms, beyond drugs and alchohol. You can be addicted to just about anything that gives your inner-child a respot from having to face the daily reality of what has become your life in contrast to what you once held as possible and important for yourself.

The internet, video games, etc. An achoholic in this sentences is simply an addict. In admonishing the alchoholic for the reasons of being an achoholic, you deny the fact that you have the same propensity towards escapism and addiction although yours might simply not take on the overt complications that a bodily addiction to alchohol conveys.

That's my take anyways, I mean why would the quote simply be "you're probably just an alchoholic (literally) and not admitting it!"

If thats the real message of the quote then what a meaningless platitude.

OP is bindweller

i like your interpretation. Hate your diction. thanks for the reply m80, super helpful as i drink and think.

It wouldn't say that for the same reason you don't get the joke. You're fucking autistic and don't understand the social interaction at play.

It's been a shock to me that not has your post revealed to me that I am autistic, but hyperbolically so. This is why I come to Veeky Forums, to have my testicles rumbled by such insightful responses.

but it's simpler than that; you're over thinking it. It's just a funny (poignant?) way to point out the hypocrisy inherent in day-to-day life. In effect, we judge others more harshly than ourselves.

Alternatively; we tend to dislike in others the habits we see (or, in this case, avoid seeing) reflected in ourselves. Another example might be disliking someone for their annoying laugh because you subconsciously fear that your laught is annoying.

Your testicles rumbling represents an addiction to shitposting senpai

Whoever wrote that is an alcoholic.

think everybody is interpreting it the same way, just the autistic fellow is extrapolating and allegedly can't see the connection to the root. Thus he's calling out the root identifiers as 'wrong' and 'fucking wrong'.

>Alternatively; we tend to dislike in others the habits we see (or, in this case, avoid seeing) reflected in ourselves.

Yes. That's a simpler way of stating what I stated. The difference simply being the object of addiction.

as peraren't we all?

Apologies for the repetition, then. I just figured that since doing homework for a middle-schooler, we should make our explanations age-appropriate.

I was agreeing with your simplification. I tends toward more unnecessarily complex means of expression.

*since we're doing

As long as you're aware of yours!

I remember when I overthought and was unable to communicate properly.

I bet you don't like the those garish first letters in illuminated manuscripts

Since we've pretty much covered that one; can someone tell me if the following is an example of the same principle:

"Having seen how lucidly and logically certain madmen justify their lunatic ideas to themselves and to others, I can never again be sure of the lucidness of my lucidity."

Unrelated bonus:

"Notes for a Rule of Life:

To need to dominate others is to need others. The commander is dependent.

Enlarge your personality without including anything from the outside - asking nothing from others and imposing nothing on others, but /being/ others when you need them.

Reduce your necessities to a minimum, so as not to depend on anyone for anything.

It's true thst such a life is impossible in the absolute. But it's not impossible relatively.

Let's consider the man who owns and runs an office. He should be able to do without his employees; he should be able to type, to balance the books, to sweep the office. He should depend on others because it saves him time, not because he's incompetent. Let him tell the office boy to put a letter in the post because he doesn't want to lose time going to the post office, not because he doesn't know where the post office is. Let him tell a clerk to take care of a certain matter because he doesn't want to waste time on it, bot because he doesn't know how to take care of it."

Fernando Pessoa (Tr. Richard Zenith)

does anyone? what a shitty way to mix art with art.

>"Having seen how lucidly and logically certain madmen justify their lunatic ideas to themselves and to others, I can never again be sure of the lucidness of my lucidity."

Logic is a tool. It is not truth itself, it has can be directed towards whatever ends the user wishes. Distortions that occur in the psyche of the individual can be given a sense of 'common sense' through the tools of logic and rational thinking by any so eloquent and verbally equipped an individual. Skill and madness need not be inconsistent with each other. The real means by which we can estimate the 'lucidity' of our inwardly cherished values is something beyond logic.

This is where religion comes in to play, or "spirituality", or insight, etc. It is a direct apperception of the value of a given way or propensity or ...aesthetic preference toward life.

but why

this is just over intellectualism.

It's the opposite, actually. I am denying the tools of intellectualism regarding "what matters" in favor of insight, which is non-logical, non-rational, ...the bane of intellectualism.

Why is that comma there? It's not necessary and just seems awkward. There is an implied conjunction in the place of the comma, but the comma is only natural when used with the conjunction.
Did a stinky Kraut write this?

>truth
bugger off m8

>denying synonyms are synonyms
> but not overthinking

on the fucking nose, considering this is from a book that "advocates" dreaming to the exclusion of all other actions.

Not that I am in possession of it, but to deny its import as a reality in our lives is nothing but demoralized semantic rabble whose foundations crumble upon even the mildest of philosophical inquiries.

What book might this be?

>reality
m8
>inquiry
m8

Written by a portugese man who spent his formative years speaking english in South Africa, and translated to english by a Portugese-American.

okay man i get it you're too cool for school and everything is absurd and nothing is real
can't you just say the title I don't know who that is

"Book of Disquiet"

I highly recommend it for Veeky Forums posters (and lurkers).

Not much better.
'reality' and 'inquiry' both presuppose truth, so of course they support the notion. Damn Platonists.

"The love of absurdity and paradox is the animal happiness of the sad. Just aas the normal man talks nonsense and slaps others on the back out of zest and vitality, so those incapable of joy and enthusiasm do somersaults in their minds and perform, in their own cold way, the warm gestures of life."

"...and everything is an incurable sickness.

The indolence of feeling, the frustration of never knowing how to do anything, the inability to take action..."

"To wrap the world around our fingers, like a thread or ribbon which a woman twiddles while daydreaming at the window...

Everything comes down to our trying to feel tedium in such a way that it doesn't hurt.

It would be interesting to be two kings at the same time: not the soul of them both, but two distinct, kingly souls."

The eschaton is inevitable, user

Yes to this, many times over.

"Elijah is coming washed in the Blood of the Lamb. Come on, you winefizzling ginsizzling booseguzzling existences! Come on, you dog-gone, bullnecked, beetlebrowed, hogjowled, peanutbrained, weaseleyed four flushers, false alarms and excess baggage! Come on, you triple extract of infamy! Alexander J. Christ Dowie, that's yanked to glory most half this planet from 'Frisco Beach to Vladivostok. The Deity ain't no nickel dime bumshow. I put it to you that he's on the square and a corking fine business proposition. He's the grandest thing yet and don't you forget it. Shout salvation in King Jesus. You'll need to rise precious early, you sinner there, if you want to diddle the Almighty God. Pflaaaap! Not half. He's got a coughmixture with a punch in it for you, my friend, In his backpocket. Just you try it on."

3DPD back in the 1930s!

"Imaginary figures have more depth and truth than real ones.

My imaginary world has always been the only true world for me. I've never had loves so real and so full of verve and blood and life as the ones I've had with characters I myself created. What madness! I miss them because, like all loves, these kind also come and go..."

Pessoa on objectivism etc.:

"Every day things happen in the world that can't be explained by any law of things we know. Every day they're mentioned and forgotten, and the same mystery that brought them takes them away, transforming their secret into oblivion. Such is the law by which things that can't be explained must be forgotten. the visible world goes on as usual in the broad daylight. Otherness watches us from the shadows."

I haven't read Pessoa but I will now.

You might like Dumaul's pataphysics. I've been reading the Red Book, Dumaul, and Bucky Fuller and certain themes about absurdity, darkness, chaos, and entropy seem to be consistent within them all, as polarly united with light, syntropy, order, and harmony.

I'm glad to hear it. Thank you for the suggestions, kind soul.

"After a bad night’s sleep, nobody likes us. The sleep which deserted us took with it something that made us human. We feel a latent irritation that even seems to imbue the inorganic air around us. It’s we, after all, who deserted ourselves; it’s between us and us that the silent battle of diplomacy is fought.
Today I’ve dragged my feet and heavy fatigue through the streets. My soul has been reduced to a tied-up ball of thread, and what I am and have been, which is me, forgot its name. I don’t know if I’ll have a tomorrow. All I know is that I didn’t sleep, and the confusion I feel at certain moments imposes long silences on my internal speech.
Ah, the huge parks enjoyed by others, the gardens familiar to so many, the tree-lined paths where people who will never know me walk! I stagnate between sleepless nights, as one who never dared to be superficial, and my meditation is startled awake like a dream when it ends.
I’m a widowed house, cloistered in itself, haunted by shy and furtive ghosts. I’m always in the next room, or they are, and trees loudly rustle all around me. I wander and find; I find because I wander. Ah, it’s you, my childhood days, dressed up in pinafores!
And during all of this I walk down the street, a wandering sleepyhead, a stray leaf. Some slow wind has swept me off the ground and I drift, like the end of twilight, among the details of the landscape. My eyelids weigh heavy on my dragging feet. Because I’m walking I feel like sleeping. My mouth is shut as if to seal my lips. I walk the way a ship sinks.
No, I didn’t sleep, but I’m more myself when I haven’t slept and still can’t sleep. I’m truly I in the incidental and symbolic eternity of this half-souled state in which I delude myself. One or two people look at me as if they knew me and found me strange. I’m vaguely aware of looking back at them, with eyes I can feel under the eyelids that rub against their surface, but I’d rather not know about the world’s existence.
I’m sleepy, very sleepy, totally sleepy!"

Elevating the subjective condition of sleep deprivation to metaphysical truth speaks to me on many levels heh

what the fucking fuck is this from.

/s ?

nvm, fucking losers.

You might interpret it as something an 'enlightened' alcoholic might say; aware of general biases but not aware of his own affliction.