Kitchen sponges are nasty

>"We found 362 different species of bacteria, and locally, the density of bacteria reached up to 45 billion per square centimeter"

>there can be spots on your kitchen sponge with just as high concentrations of bacteria as in a toilet.

Turns out sponges are gross as fuck. What's your plan for keeping these nasty things clean?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2235650/The-kitchen-sponge-200-000-times-dirtier-toilet-seat--lead-PARALYSIS.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't clean mine, it gives my immune system a workout.

Hot water.

replace them. they're like 2 bucks for a fourpack

This, plus periodic bleach and rinse. It's not rocket science. And always put it in an aerated holder so it can dry out between uses.

>kids aren't allowed to play in the mud or in the rain
>they don't get exposed to beneficial gut flora from putting things in their mouths as infants
Nice going fuckers, now a whole generation of kids have debilitating food allergies and immune disorders that didn't exist 10 years ago

I've been thinking this for a while. They really just seem like a hotbed for bacteria.

Dishwasher seems like the best option.

Replace them after each use? That's expensive

Microwaving is supposed to kill a lot of bacteria. But they started making sponges you are not supposed to microwave or they melt

Throw away and buy a new pack every month.

why not just store them in a weak bleach solution?

Throwing them in with the dishwasher load every one or two days, and then microwaving them for a minute should disinfect them pretty well. Then replace them every couple of weeks.

It doesn't matter if they have bacteria on them if you're putting the dishes in the dishwasher anyway.

The detergent and hot water will sterilize your dishes.

not everyone has a dishwasher
my old alartment had a bidet, garbage compactor and a wine fridge, but not fucking dishwasher for some reason.

How many people actually get sick from using dirty sponges though?

I hand-wash my dishes with the same dingy sponge for months and it causes no issues.

In my experience dishwashing soap kills germs pretty dead. E.g., if I have a water bottle that has gotten smelly, washing it with dish soap wipes it out completely.

(OP)

bacteria is good for you. getting sick with minor shit is often good for you. it not only boosts your immune system, but introduces your body to new gut bacteria which can contribute to better digestion.

I literally cut meat on my counter (not chicken) then clean it off with a rag, and I haven't had more than a cold in 7 years (which wasn't even at my house).

The human body harbours 10x more bacterial cells than 'human' ones.

A pot of yoghurt contains millions upon billions of bacteria.

Let that sink in you germphobe moron.

>a bidet in the kitchen
a bold choice

That water bottle has non-porous surfaces, so just washing it out with hot water and soap will remove all the things that cause any nasty smells. The soap will help loosen any grease or stuff that is stuck on the surface.

A sponge is porous and water gets all through it, as does bacteria. Soap is not a disinfectant and there is no way to clean off the bacteria/oil/food particles in all corners of a sponge by just hand-washing in hot water and soap. At least use bleach.

I'd say microwave that sucker every few days, and replace it at least once a month if not every 2 weeks. You can't see the bacteria in it, and it may actually be to doing you any harm, but its better to be safe, and sponges are cheap.

why don't you go lick a dirty toilet, or are you a germophobe moron?

>I literally cut meat on my counter (not chicken) then clean it off with a rag
why not chicken?

Like many have said, I just give mine a microwaving every couple of days, and a bleaching every other day. Haven't ran into an issue yet.

My microwave started to smell like a dirty sponge after I had been doing that for a while. Had to stop.

>and replace it at least once a month if not every 2 weeks.
Yeah, I just make sure my sponge doesn't have food or anything on it after using it, and to wring all the water out and let it dry in between uses. I'll use it for 2-3 weeks then use it to clean non-food items before tossing.

Sponges aren't really the best thing to try and wash to keep around forever just because of the way they're designed. If you want something reusable that'll last longer you should use a rag that you wash in bleach and hot water regularly.

the bacteria on toilet is different than sponge bacteria; nobody’s asshole and feces goes near a sponge

because even live chickens are swarming with salmonella; chicken is not a clean meat.

doesn't all meat have nasty organisms on the surface?

If it's not a clean meat why does Allah not forbid it?

Yes. Some people just swing too hard in the other direction when they hear being overly clean causes problems too. They won't wash their hands after taking a shit or clean surfaces that come into contact with raw meat when these are both situations that call for a thorough cleaning. We just don't need to be putting triclosan in our soaps, sanitizing our hands every 10 minutes, completely covering ourselves in soap when we shower even if we aren't dirty when just rinsing with with water would be enough (except on your butthole which you should still use soap), etc.

the major villian that makes you sick with most meats is the poison the bacteria gives off, not the bacteria itself, which is why cooking spoiled meat doesn't make it edible. salmonella is an exception to this which is why I clean that shit off. otherwise, a wipe and dry with clean cloths has never done me wrong. the real concern is with people who have compromised immune systems, ie small children, the sick, and the elderly.

ironically takes it a bit too far in his cleanliness. please don't soap your asshole, it's bad for you. you can literally eat your own shit, it only makes you sick if you're already sick; a little bit on your own asshole won't do shit all and to worry about it is a bit agoraphobic.

>you can literally eat your own shit, it only makes you sick if you're already sick

>In theory, ingesting your own stool should not be harmful, as long as it "clean" (i.e., not contaminated with stool from others, as might occur by contact in a toilet bowl, etc). Furthermore, there may be a theoretical minor health benefit in doing so. Bacteria in the colon can metabolize non-absorbed food materials (fiber) and generate useful nutrients (e.g. vitamins such as biotin, or sugars and amino acids from fiber and other undigested materials) that are only partly absorbed during initial production, the rest is excreted with the stool. Re-uptake of these nutrients by ingestion of stool would give a second opportunity for absorption in the gut. In fact, coprophagy in mice (a normal behavior) helps to extract extra energy from food compared to mice that are prevented from coprophagy.

diluted bleach before drying you fucking idiot. are you brand new or what?

Dishwashing machines don't have this problem :)

>put bleach in your food goy, totally healthy for you!

You have to use a diluted caustic solution on dishes for them to be properly sanitized. Where are you even from?

>In theory
>theoretical
>in mice

>you know more than a doctor

shit transplants (shoving somebody else's shit into your asshole) are an effective treatment for a variety of digestive diseases and disorders. it's a potential cure for crohn's disease. stop being a pussy.

this is ignoring all the people in germany who eat their own shit for fun.

>Like drinking your own pee, eating your own poop is perfectly safe. Unlike pee, your poo isn't sterile, it's full of bacteria. But the bacteria is all your own stuff. It lives inside your intestines and helps you digest your food. If you eat some of your own poo that is reasonably fresh, you'll just bring the bacteria back where it came from.

>However, eating someone else's poo or licking someone else's butt can introduce new bacteria into your system. If the person is unhealthy, then eating their poo could transmit any bad bacteria into your intestines, or other things like various sorts of worms, and your health might become compromised as well.

>However, if the person has good bacteria in their intestines, there could be a health benefit to eating their poo. In fact, fecal transplants are a real thing, though when taken orally they are given in the form of a capsule rather than eating the poo directly.

get learned

If you were smart you'd realize all porous surfaces are susceptible to growing high densities of bacteria. Everything from the concrete decking you have outside, yes that has billions of bacteria living in it, to your roofing tiles to the pumice stone in your shower and the glass surface of your smartphone. None of them are clean. Bacteria are tiny. Even a narrow space can harbor more then you can dream of. Holes in an object exposed to the surface, even if they're so tiny you can't see them, are perfect little homes for spores to grow and reproduce. These spores are all around you. You breathe them in and out every single minute of every single day you will ever exist on this Earth save the times you are in a controlled facility.

Have fun cleaning.

>tfw the best solution modern medical science has figured to reestablishing the microbiome in a sterilized patient is feeding patients literal shit

>ITT we trigger agoraphobics

don't forget that non-human cellular organisms make up over 50% of the human body weight

>nobody’s asshole and feces goes near a sponge
you don't know me

>A 'reference man' (one who is 70 kilograms, 20–30 years old and 1.7 metres tall) contains on average about 30 trillion human cells and 39 trillion bacteria, say Ron Milo and Ron Sender at the (((Weizmann))) Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, and Shai Fuchs at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada.

>Those numbers are approximate — another person might have half as many or twice as many bacteria

allah is a bit of a retard

THIS

I have Ehler's Danlos Syndrome, Lupus, and get sick about 8 times a year.

Out of curiosity, how long do unrefrigerated bread and fresh fruit last in your kitchen before they start molding?

If I licked that sponge would I die?

Big whoop, everything is covered in bacteria. Your keyboard flora is probably more varied.

no you mong, when they need to be replaced.
you can smell when they start to get old. Either that or like at the end of the week

>>there can be spots on your kitchen sponge with just as high concentrations of bacteria as in a toilet.
Yes that sounds scary, just like the final point quote, but you don't get sick from it because washing dishes isn't about disinfecting them but removing the food remains the flora could prosper on.
In fact you could probably lick a sponge and be fine unless you were raised in a house where they autoclave the dishes.

>mfw I live to no regard with germs and I haven't gotten debilitating illness in the past ten years

A childhood of rolling in dirt getting pinworms and lice means an adulthood of good health.

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2235650/The-kitchen-sponge-200-000-times-dirtier-toilet-seat--lead-PARALYSIS.html
>200,000 times dirtier than a toilet seat
>you're less likely to catch something life threatening serving your food on a toilet seat

good news for every drunk whoever slept on the toilet?

Then microwave your microwave.

You could eat bacteria straight from the ground too. Hell, the Chinese -do-. They eat cyanobacteria straight from the ground. Press it into noodles. It may give them ALS, who knows? But you can still do it and gain nutrients from it in the short-term without serious communicable illness.

That same study found ZERO harmful bacteria in the sponge you deceptive jackass.

Bon appétit!

Sometimes there's no better doctor than the body itself. Bacteria don't pop out of thin air in labs, user.

This, and if your microflora and immune system are healthy you don't stand a high chance of infection anyway. The body is better at self defence than we give it credit for.

Bread lasts a month or two before molding

>Imma gonna found a company that turns used kitchen sponges into pacifiers

I loled

>tfw can't swallow pills, always have to chew them
>mfw

Only gays and women worry about germs.

The sponge part is literally useless and is the part that's holding on to most of the bacteria

Just buy scours and throw them away when you're done with a cycle

Or a dishwasher if you got dishwasher money lying around

i dunno boil em or smn haha

It would be extremely unhygenic

Having the same concentrate of bacteria as a toilet doesn't mean anything. It's the type of bacteria that matters. 99% of all species if bacteria are completely harmless. Some are even good for you. Don't buy into the fear mongering of the cleaner jews. If the sponge stinks time to replace, otherwise fuck it.

The bleach breaks down in like 24 hours and it'll still smell mildewy

>What's your plan for keeping these nasty things clean?

Dude, they're cheap. Toss the old one out, unwrap a new one. Easy.

mine that i reuse sit in a dish of weak bleach solution. in a stainer tin that surgeons usse to drop their instruments in. found it at a salvation army store

I don't use sponges. I bought a whole bunch of commerical kitchen towels. They are very cheap from a restaurant supply store. I have a special laundry basket just for those in the corner of my kitchen. I use them once, when they're dirty I stick 'em in the basket. When most of them get dirty I just wash 'em in the laundry machine with some added bleach to make sure they are sanitized. It's super easy and has no chance of contamination since I'm using a clean one every time.

We just boil it once/day. That might not be good enough for the FDA or those with OCD, but it works for us.

you're a dirty guy

I just throw out sponges when they get really greasy and slimy and dish soap no longer longer penetrates well enough to create a lather.
They're probably nasty as hell but I've never gotten sick from them.

For you

yes sponges do have bacteria on them for sure. Doesn't really make a difference if you're washing your dishes properly. The sponge is just use to apply detergent and to help scrape off any food particles on your dishes. If you rinse it thoroughly with water after this step which you should already do, then the plate should be completely bacteria free.

>then the plate should be completely bacteria free.
Wow. Why don't hospitals do that with surgical gear? Why do they use autoclaves, etc, if simple rinsing makes things "completely bacteria free"?

me neither, i take a new one ~ each month. these bacterias are a meme for weak people.

Nothing is completely bacteria free

>please don't soap your asshole, it's bad for you
Why is it bad for you? It's easier for the soap to penetrate (hehe) your rectal membrane?

My folks microwave sponges for a couple minutes when they deem it's time for a bacteria nuke

>eat some of your own poo that is reasonably fresh
>reasonably fresh

>Here's your pasta, chef Ramsay
>Why is it on a toilet seat?
>It's cleaner than our plates
>FUCK ME!

God thing God invented dishwashers

I blast it in the microwave. Survive that, fuckers

you are aware dishwashers just remove grease and you have to do the hard stuff, right?

they are swarming with salmonella in the USA where it's still legal to raise chickens compressed together with .ZIP

Actually a recent study found that increases their populations Google it.

I am aware that I do not live in 1850

That study found it killed most of the bacterial strains, but a couple of specific bacteria types lived through the microwave shoah and so their populations got stronger. The strains that lived were not found to be harmful to most people.

So I would think microwaving followed by a quick bleach rinse should probably do the job.

>Shoah
Lol. But seriously just replace it already.

>tfw you're trying to make dinner but winzip keeps asking for money

it irritates it and can damage it especially if you get it inside. you wouldn't rub soap in your eye or your mouth don't rub it in your ass.

fuck you i did this and now i have Crohns disease

Use a plastic bristle brush and soak it in bleach every so often. If I need something softer I just use a washcloth, which gets washed in the next load of laundry.

btw remeber to run your dishwasher on hight temperature

because many people want to save energy by washing at low temperature dishwashers can get contaminated to

It'll dissolve the sponge eventually.

>he seriously ate his own shit

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHA

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

thats good though, that means the bacteria are getting exterminated, just use it till the sponge falls apart