Introducing Little Brother to Literature

My 10-year-old brother's school teacher has assigned him a book to read over the summer. It looks pretty lame and he didn't seem interested in it at all so I gave him the Hobbit instead. He's really excited about it but he's struggling to get through it as he is a very weak reader.

Aside from the obvious tips like telling him to use context clues to figure the meanings of words and re-reading a difficult sentence many times, how do you help a kid develop reading skills? Is the Hobbit even ideal for his age group? I haven't read it myself. How old were you guys when you read it?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/22402972-fish-in-a-tree
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

Animorphs + ritalin. Then move him onto Yohanne Greene. Thank me later.

regarding the state of modern education, one must assume that you have severely stunted your brother, and overestimated him by giving him an unforgiving and nigh impossible task. he will likely forever hold regret and anger over literature. you have pushed him into a position where he wishes to impress and to enjoy, when in reality he had been tossed to the sharks of incomprehension. you are a dimwitted and damaging big brother and have served him poorly. a ten year old. my god, the boy couldn't read his way out of a wet paper sack and you give him the hobbit.

Ignore this tard op. He sounds mean and uses too many big words. Do my Johannes Green idea.

Try giving him the Narnia books. They're good for kids and a little easier than the Hobbit I think.

You have to accommodate his reading ability, not his age. Just becuase Nabakov was reading Anna Karenina at 13 doesn't mean you should.

I don't know, man. I think I read Tintin when I was ten.

Pic unrelated.

by all means, show him a simpleton book. you've ruined the boy by now.
you should have read something WITH him. you mong. to help guide his reading practices and to help you regain a passion for literature through his eyes. alas, you fool, you destroy everything in which you intervene. do be so kind as to not involve yourself in your brothers affairs from now on. it is likely he will be sharper than you ever will without your fraternal soapstone ill used.

>by all means
Only part I need to hear. Thanks user. Op you heard him.

I haven't pushed him into anything. We were reading together and he didn't seem interested in his book so I asked him if he'd heard of the Hobbit, told him a little about it, and when he seemed interested I said he can have my copy.

I think there is value in reading outside of your comfort level. When I was an edgy pretentious middle schooler I would read the likes of Nietzsche and Jung and even though 99% went over my head I was miles ahead of the other kids in highschool English.

>defending the destruction of your own brother
know you no shame? you modern Cain? fie. i am done with you.

These posts are the funniest I've read in a while. Thanks for the hearty chuckles user.

I'll keep an eye out for Narnia. Very true about the reading level vs age. Unfortunately public education in the US is continuing to decline and with the rise of technology less kids are developing necessary reading skills.

Are you the one who wrote that story to accompany that obscure painting of two pigs?

never let school get in the way of your education

the fratricidal menace accepts the medicine mingled with honey. never will be able to swallow the bitter pill alone. let us hope the best traits skipped over you in this family, mayhaps even a mother ashamed sought new blood to fill the veins of your brother. no wonder your resentment bares its teeth in juvenile sabotage. a modern Cain indeed.

no, but in a way i envy it. a clever little meme.

I never actually read animorphs. Is it unironically a good children's series?

Yeah, just do it

the only sincere advice you're going to get

plebs

What book did the teacher give him to read over summer?

Good post 10/10

Fish In a Tree by Lynda Hunt

goodreads.com/book/show/22402972-fish-in-a-tree

So I read the plot synopsis and the protagonist is a 6th grader who can't read...

Did my brother just get BTFO by his 4th grade teacher?

as i said earlier, you are interfering in the learning process of your little brother. fuck sake, i was right, you'll never swallow the bitter pill.

Why give him the Hobbit? Make him start with the Greeks

Is you brother mentally challenged? Why can't a 10 year old read The Hobbit?

If he's having that much trouble maybe try reading to him?

Yeah I gave him Herodotus but for some reason he didn't seem very into it.

I'm sure he's capable but it's a challenge for him. He's a bright kid but he hasn't any positive influences to actively encourage him to read. That's what I'm trying to change.

Have you tried giving him Thucydides? Might get along better with that

Well look where relying on the state has gotten him so far

what a piece of shit you are. so self righteous. you're going to look back on this day in deep regret and realize how right i am. you should get the fuck out of your brother's reading habits. you suggest to him a book you've never read, don't even understand what the teacher assigned him or even question WHY, you abuse your brother's clear desire to please you, his big brother who probably is a superman to him, and you reward him with nothing. not a damn thing, you may even damage him, turning him off from literature and reading in general out of frustration and shame. and there you sit, as though you're doing a good deed. fuck you, man. i feel sorry for your brother. i bet he's a great kid. shame he has such a dipshit for a brother.
the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

Eh I feel like the silly fables of Herodotus would be better suited for children

I can't even tell if I'm getting memed on anymore but I'm not ashamed to admit that one got to me a little.

i mean, the sheer idiocy.
have you ever once considered that your brother may have a learning disability that he's ashamed of and could probably never tell you because he would be afraid of being alienated from you and your obvious literary hobby? no, of course not, no possible way you could consider your brother, because you're projecting yourself onto him, you think he's you in your teen years, reading nietzsche and being miles ahead, you're unintentionally and stupidly impressing upon him your desires, and you can't even see the harm. what a fool.

look, just give him hatchet, or the giver, or a wrinkle in time. ok? those are 10 year old accessible books that are short and entertaining and will give him a sense ofmaccomplishment without straining him too hard. that's my suggestion since you insist on interfering. i'd say you should really spend some time reading WITH him, to see his strengths and issues, but we both know you're not willing to spend that kind of time with the boy. good luck to him. god bless.

I had read the entire Lord of The Rings trilogy by 8-9, and only had surface level issues like not understanding some words.

From the sounds of it, The Hobbit is indeed challenging for your brother, but recommend that he push through it.

Also consider reading a chapter to him before he goes to bed each night -- it will keep him so interested in the plot that he'll want to read it, even when you're not around.

Here are some books your brother might enjoy OP;

White Fang by Jack London
Call of the Wild by Jack London
Treasure Island by R.L. Stevenson
Kim by Rudyard Kipling
Robinson Crusoe

My teacher gave them to me between the ages of 9-12 when I was just starting to get into reading, and I loved them. They shouldn't be too difficult from what I remember.

give him something you enjoyed when you were 10, or if you were ahead of him, a book you enjoyed when at his reading level and tell him you read it at age 10. he will think its cool that he gets to read what his older brother read, and you will be able to talk about the book with him a lot more