Soups On!

Making French Onion Meme, the right way. Tell me i cook like shit, i'm open for improvements.
First I'm gonna start off with roughly 5 pound of yellow cooking onions sliced fairly thin. i used about a 1/2 cup of fat, mostly coconut oil and a little marg. Letting it cook for about 10 to make sure the onions are all coated evenly with the oil.

I'm using a fairly large stockpot to help stir the onions. Unfortunately the pan is thin so I'm going to have to baby the thing in order to not burn the fond coming up.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M
youtu.be/FayGQYszBJY?t=841
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>marg
Well, that's first class fail right there. Margarine has no place in any kitchen.

>> Letting it cook for about 10
I hope you plan on cooking for longer than 10 min; it easily takes 40 min to a hour to properly carmelize onions for french onion soup.

I like to add my flour at this point. for this amount of onions i'm using enough so that every onion is very lightly dusted. It really helps build a rich, flavorful fond. Just make sure you're cooking on medium-low.
now we just sit and stir, this pan is a piece of shit so i'm gonna be busy for the next hour or so.

>Coconut oil and Marg
Did you mean high quality olive oil?

Also make sure you use a homemade beef stock.

Fond? There's not supposed to be any fucking fond. No flour. Just onions. You're caramelizing onions, not making a fucking roux.

>marg
maybe a Tbsp but i feel you.
im out of olive oil.
theres gonna be a fond fucker so strap in.

4 hrs to caramelize onions properly.
not stock, just water. or a very very light stock.
season with sherry vinegar before serving.

i don't know what the fuck op i talking about with his flour, but my onions create fond when i caramelize them. i don't know if any fond is supposed to be created to begin with, but i deglaze it before it gets too dark. it's easier than stirring every 10 seconds.

You fucked up. Cook the onions on low heat for an hour, adding liquid slowly when they start browning next time.

>but my onions create fond when i caramelize them
because you are sauteing them.

>4hrs

that's nuts

you can definitely do it in an hour or even 30 min if you are willing to stir constantly and add liquid to make sure it doesn't burn.

>you can definitely do it in an hour
no, I have volumes that says you're wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M

What's wrong with those onions?

fast forward!
after about 2-1/2 hours here's the final result, onions properly caramelized. the fond is nice and brown.
to this I'm going to deglaze with Shaoxing wine, which is just a dry rice sherry.

your fond is black, dude.

>What's wrong with those onions?
He doesn't know he's sauteing and deglazing.
The centers of the onions will be white, ie not caramelized.

Should I quote Thomas Keller or gordon ramsay first on how to properly caramelize onion

Yes, please, I don't have access to their literature. I had never considered the insides of the onions being caramelized.

its a very bad picture, its not burned though. like i said the pan was too fucking thin and i fucked up cooking with it, i hope i remember next time but i prob wont as i drink way too much. normally fond is not this dark. it did not affect the taste of the soup adversely.

Soup's deglazed and ready for stock. You're going to find one billion reciped for what stocks to use in what comibination, but for me it's 1 veg stock to 3 beef stock.

Broth's in and 2 bay leaves. boil and simmer...i like to try to get down to a 50% reduction but anywhere between 70-50 is fine. I also like to simmer a min of 2 hours no matter what soup im making unless its a cream soup.

sure user. Here is Thomas Kellers onion soup from Bouchon. It'll going to be long. He even goes into detail on how to slice/core the onion.

throw it to the trash bc it's black and good luck to scrap the dark out of the bottom

Monitoring
I've been meaning to make this for a while but always forget
>tfw I'll cry my eyes out when I attempt it
>tfw I can finally cry

I don't care what your volume say. You can use liquid to soften the onions in an hour, like a risotto. Fucking rice cooks in 30 min max that way why would onions take 4 hours?

Meanwhile time to prepare me some fuckin crootuns. I happen to have a two day batard that should work wonderfully for this. bake em on a wire rack 10 min flip then another 5 if not sufficiently hard.
ok, sage advice.
watch good eats where alton makes onion soup, he gives some tips for you eyefags. i wear contacts and it never really bothers me.

Softening the onions isn't the point. Caramelizing the natural sugars within the onions is. That has to be done low-and-slow otherwise you simply end up browning the outside of the onion while there is still moisture inside the middle. You cook the onions slow so the moisture can cook out allowing the sugar to concentrate and caramelize.

checked.
agreed that caramelizing onions takes well over an hour. speedfags don't know how to romance the flavor from an onion.

wow that 2 hours really flew by.
soups done and ready. i feel theres an excellent onion to broth ratio, barely skimming the top of the soup results in a spoonful of onions.
a pinch of salt and it's ready for the bowl.

Thank you! Honestly, I'd never considered the size of the cut onion an important when serving, but I guess I wouldn't want stringy melted onions.

LOL. YOUR ONIONS ARE RAWWWWWW

youtu.be/FayGQYszBJY?t=841

Follow link for proper time.

closeup

crouton is a decent size. i like a thinner crouton then you get a decent size piece of bread once the broth soaks into it. wife likes a normal size crouton.

Alls i had was provolone so that's what i used. no need to brown or burn the cheese, just a perfect melting will do.

hmm user.
It's too dark from the burnt "fond".
You can just tell it's going to be bitter.

its the same color as this: = flash
= no flash

Nah bad cheese and you definitely need a bit of brown skin. Imho

Shouldn't of bothered with the cheese, user.
Provolone combined with those bitter onions isn't going to work very well at all.

interesting take.