Overnight Oats

Anyone else noticed the massive trend of overnight oats?

I've yet to try them myself but the look damn good.

Anyone got any good tried and tested recipes?

What kind of yogurt is best?

Typical Americans. Take something like Bircher muesli, rename it to something stupid, put it in a mason jar and whore out the upvotes on instagram.

I think it's weird that this is considered a trend, when people have been doing this for years. I first was introduced to it way back in the 90s when I was an apprentice to a german chef, and we'd have that for breakfast before we started baking (at 4 am). He called it muesli, and we'd throw it together at the end of the shift, and eat it the next morning. Oats, plain yogurt, fresh fruit (ususally berries or stone fruit) and chopped nuts (either walnuts or almonds most of the time). Then top it with a bit of honey before eating. I still eat this frequently for breakfast, it's delicious and super satiating.

what in hellfire is overnight oats and muesli. amerifag here, amerifagging you with my ignorance.

See

time to buy some muelsei

Not bad. I prefer my oats hot though and it only takes an extra minute to make.

So what's a good recipe? This seems useful

Just mix oats and yogurt, add whatever you want for flavor

My immigrant father has been doing this for decades. What an absolute trendsetter.

I've heard using thinner yogurts (such as muller light) produces a soft flapjack-like texture while thicker yogurts (onken) produce a stodgier texture

True. I prefer a thick texture, especially if I add fruits, because they'll macerate overnight and thin it out a bit.

Germanfag here. I make this with low fat quark and add milk to make it softer. I flavour it with honey, lemon and orange zest. I normally put bananas, apples and in the summer berrys in there and if i have some sunflower seeds or flax seeds.

Using quark sounds like a great idea I hadn't even considered it, I'll have to try your recipe sometime

Immigrant from where?

You have to remember that in America we've now had three successive generations raised on commercially produced convenience foods, so young people rediscovering old ideas seems like a new trend because neither their parents or grandparents taught it to them.

that's an interesting and depressing point. I'm 21yo britbong and I'd never heard of overnight oats untill recent months

Taiwan

obsessed

>Muhh bankistan original recipes
Fuck off. Our name is better and there's nothing wrong with using mason jars.

Sometimes, when i'm in a hurry, i make a shake from 250gr of low fat quark, one ripe banana (and any fruits you like), 50gr of oats and some flaxseed and put water to make it drinkable. Fast and high protein breakfast

that's exactly the kind of recipe I've been looking for thanks.
all the people irl I see eating overnight oats/shakes have them smothered in sugary jam or peanut butter etc

Lol wtf

Not that guy, but I'd much rather use the name "muesli" than " overnight oats", which sounds like what trailer trash would call muesli. You have no pride or self improvement goals. And yes, I'm American, and from a half southern/half southwest state as well. Stop being an embarrassment.

I've always thought of muesli as a type of cereal as that's what it's sold as in the UK (not sure if applicable elsewhere) but now that I think about it I guess it's simply a dehydrated version of "overnight oats". I've never known anyone to prepare boxed muesli in such a way though, it's just eaten as cereal

Sometimes I use a peach flavored Greek yogurt or otherwise just plain
Crushed almonds and/or walnuts
Raisins
Apple or banana

So true. Despite researching this kind of stuff, overnight oats is new to me.

I am more of a fan of fermented oats:
Soak oats (steelcut or Irish is best) in generally a 1:3 ratio of oats to water, in a covered, but not sealed vessel. Leave at room temp for anywhere from a day or two to over a week, stiring or shaking the vessel daily just to keep the surface from growing stuff and to oxidize it. After that, cook as you would normal oats.

It's safe to conclude that the entire civilized world has been eating muesli with yoghurt since ever
I also add either cinnamon or some kind of cherry jam if I want it sweeter but the fact that this basic shit is considered a "trend" for some is downright sad

For some reason, I'm always scared of fermenting my own food. But, I guess if it's been fully cooked, it would be safe anyway.

i don't believe the combination of oats/muesli with yogurt alone is the "trend" it seems to be the overnight aspect of the recipe and the texture achieved

Started doing it last year after reading a book by Sandor Katz. As a noob, you will run into a few bad batches (of other stuff, fermented oats are too simple to mess up) always sucks to throw those out. But I never made myself sick.

Well, letting it sit overnight is the crux of the issue. Meusli calls for that. If you try to eat the mixture without letting it sit, you'll have a bad time.

>entire generations
bs just because your family gave up on learning the basics of living doesn’t mean all did

A significant percentage did. Americans tossed out a lot of cooking tradition in the 20th century in favor of commercially produced products. Enough to create monolithic food corporations and enough that using older recipes and techniques is now labeled as "trendy" and "meme."
It was a combination of economic and social factors, not just "lol ur lazy" but things started turning around in the late 90s when the older members of Gen X started getting interested in cooking again and things have been steadily improving.

Oatmeal makes me fart a lot. Would soaking it overnight change that?

I bet you are an active participant in the ‘50s era canning company ads because you think that represents what people were really cooking.

Hmmm idk.
I don't fart much when I eat oatmeal, but I will say I don't remember farting at all after eating meusli, while I can remember a few occasions after eating hot, freshly cooked oatmeal.
It could be because cooking breaks it down more than just soaking overnight in yogurt.
But my opinion is just that, so let me see what i can find out. I like checking this kind of stuff out.

I was thinking that soaking it overnight breaks it down more than just cooking it quickly. That would make it easier for the body to digest, resulting in less farts.

Well, I'll be damned, that didn't take long. It's the saponins in oatmeal that give you gas, and it does create a more dramatic effect from cooked oatmeal, which releases the saponins when ccoking. Welp. There ya go.

Interesting

once you enter Veeky Forums, leave your wannabe edge behind, little fagglet. this isn't /v/, /tv/ or /b/. there is also always the option to FOBTR and never to return.

Looks like I hit the nail in the head.

Sure showed me there, Cletus. Better hitch your house to the back of your crappy pickup and GTFO, I think I hear a tornado coming.

>1 cup whole oats
>1 cup almond milk
>1 scoop protein powder
>1 tsp whole hemp hearts
>1 tsp ground flax seed
>1 tsp chia seeds
>5 tsp peanut butter
> 1 whole banana
>1/4 cup of greek yogurt
>pinch of salt

workout fuel

So mad. Are the muzzies invading tonight?

O B S E S S E D
B B
S S
E E
S S
S S
E E
D D

ugh, fuck Veeky Forums's formatting

I make steel cut oats every morning while I take a shower. Eat em with yogurt, a lil maple syrup, walnuts, and fruit.

I tried this out because of this thread.

2:1 ratio of yogurt to oats by weight
Crushed walnuts
red/blackcurrant on top, and mixed some in before leaving it overnight too. It tastes kind of like a fruit crumble, will eat again

what does this even mean, you leave the burner on low while you are in the shower? steel cut needs tons of stirring

This is not a trend. It's been propagated on media for "likes" but my family has been doing this for decades. Southerners use a lot of mason jars for honey, canning, leftover gravy, tea, you name it. I've done those oats for years, and cheese grits too. They microwave great. I like the oats with some walnuts and honey.

Not him, but I have never stirred oats while cooking, am I missing something?

What does this do? I usually eat oats with fruits and quark without leaving them for a set amount of time or make oatmeal with milk instead of quark.

Just because your family did something pre-trend doesn't make the thing not a trend