Pickling

Ok Veeky Forums so I’m planning on making some Vietnamese pickled vegetables for making Bahn Mi’s. I’m following a basic recipe but wondering if anyone has a good recipe for extra flavor.

Also pickling thread.

Not sure how authentic it is, but I make vinegared onions for homemade noodle soup. I understand the pickles for banh mi are made the same way.
YMMV, but I think it would be:
Finely shredded veg, 200g (a little under a half pound)
>when I do the vinegared onion, I use one only and that weighs around 200g
Salt and sugar, a strong pinch each
Rice vinegar (NOT rice wine vinegar as that's a different thing), 80ml (about a third US cup) or less*
>cane vinegar is a decent sub in

Toss veg with the salt and sugar in a non-reactive bowl (or, do as I do, and use a sandwich baggy) and allow to macerate.
>* if using the sandwich baggy, you'll need far less vinegar
Add vinegar to cover and set aside to marinate a while; if using the baggy, squeeze out as much air as you can and twist shut.
Drain and use.

Also, I'm actually fermenting some kimchi at the moment. Green tomato kimchi made from thinly sliced green tomatoes leftover from this years stragglers. The recipe is the same as typical kimchi, just with green tomato slices in place of Korean cabbage.

*pickling and fermenting intensifies*

Sounds tasty user. When I lived in South Korea one of the highlights was real deal kimchi. Mainly because Kimchi can either be really good or god fucking awful.

I think adding garlic cloves and red pepper flakes to anything pickling almost never hurts it.

I like that idea because a little spice is nice to balance out the sweet and tart.

Always used whole peppers and never red pepper flakes...why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the tip.

what did you use for your pickling mixture user?

Vinegar is used to make a non-fermented pickle. Ferments need only salt and water.

OP, if you are female, I find that touching my cooch before I work with the vegetables is sufficient to get a lacto starter culture going. Otherwise you may have to backslop, though it's not recommended to do too often.

Also if you're using water from a chlorinated tap, then dispense the water and let it sit for a while. The chlorine will evaporate out, leaving a more hospitable climate for your little microbiotes.

>I find that touching my cooch before I work with the vegetables is sufficient to get a lacto starter culture
Oh my goodness

not sticking cucumbers up cooch
waiting a week and wa la pickle time

Monitoring this thread

Pickling is the best. I pickled a lot of, well, pickles and also several kgs of atjar tjampoer, which is very similar to what you're making.

Tips: use mustard seeds and koenjit/turmeric or whatever it's called outside of the Netherlands for extra flavour. Consider chopping a chili pepper and adding it, but don't overdo it because the spiciness is exacerbated by the long pickling time. Leave to pickle for at least 6 weeks, preferably. Oh and djinten/cumin is also worth trying.

Bought a jar of my favorite pickles, after I ate them all I added salt and vinegar to the left over brine, and used that to pickle these spears

What basic recipe do you use

>OP, if you are female, I find that touching my cooch before I work with the vegetables is sufficient to get a lacto starter culture going.

>tomato kimchi
What's the texture like? Is it just pickled mush? Sounds pretty tasty

Ingredients
24 pickling cucumbers (3 to 4 inches each)
Sweet red pepper 1 To taste, sliced
2 heads of fresh dill plant
Garlic 4 Clove (5gm)
Pickling Spices 2 Teaspoon
Alum 1/8 Teaspoon

Brine
Vinegar 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Water 2 Cup (16 tbs)
Pickling salt 1/4 Cup (16 tbs)

*personal addendum 2TBSp of white sugar
Hot Pickled pepper for sweet red.
double the garlic
Don’t use a freaking microwave.

Directions
1 Wash cucumbers; cut off flower end. Cover with ice water, let stand 2 hours.
2 Divide red pepper, dill, garlic, pickling spices and alum between two 1-quart jars. Pack cucumbers into jars.
3 Combine Brine ingredients in 4-cup glass measure.
4 Microwave 10 to 15 minutes on HIGH, or until boiling (about 200° F). Fill jars with hot brine mixture. Cool; cover, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Pickles will keep up to 3 months in refrigerator. 2 Quarts Pickles

>I find that touching my cooch before I work with the vegetables is sufficient to get a lacto starter culture going
Where can I buy these pickles

Nothing like pasta to reveal newfriends

just made this following a basic recipe, gonna see how it turns out then adjust it

>non-reactive bowl
fuck you I can use cesium if I want to you aren't the boss of meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

OP here. I don’t even know what to say to that. Thanks?

(user who is making those pickles rn)

Just found some recipe. Salt and water to make the brine, dill, garlic, mustard seeds, bay leaf. Added chili flakes which is why it looks red.

The jar is an old bulk VLASIC jar.

how do I make pickled Ricks?

Well you get a jar, fill it with Ricks, then you pour in salt, water, and let it fermented.

The screaming is how you know it's working.

>OP, if you are female, I find that touching my cooch before I work with the vegetables is sufficient to get a lacto starter culture going.

When i saw that pic i thought you were pickling ciggerets

That's because you're a retard.

I make the real (IE baechu kimchi) stuff, too, only because it costs $20 for a 1 gallon bucket here when I can make the same amount myself for ~$7 worth of stuff. Also, I just enjoy the process of making it and it's kinda relaxing massaging the salt into the cabbage.

It's green IE unripe tomato kimchi. It's quite firm. Firmer than the cabbage one. It's fucking delicious, as green tomato is a bit more tart to begin with and the tartness lends itself well to the kimchi-making process. At the end of the growing season, I typically end up with enough stragglers for a half gallon worth of green tomato kimchi.

Giggle giggle squeak.

>backslop

To be fair, the pasta is only a year and a half old. And it's mostly limited to pickle threads.

wow, the ferment/pickle threads have stale pasta now

I was as surprised as you are. This is my OC. Small world.

>This is my OC
Why did you do this terrible thing.

speaking of OC here is my latest hot sauce ferment, a month in, as well as my 2 latest finished hot sauces.

the bottle with red in is a 'not' sauce; fermented aji dolce peppers with tomato and basil. the orange colored sauce is habanero carrot and tumeric.

Currently fermenting in the jar is a pound of scotch bonnet along with a toe of ginger and a bunch of green onion.

That looks like diarrhea.
How does it taste?

Like diarrhea

on the red one there's mostly a basil and mild tomato flavor that comes across. kinda makes me want to try a fermented sauce that is just tomato and basil.

the habanero sauce is very intense in heat but the carrot mostly comes through as a dominant flavor

clever girl

It's not stale
It's been lovingly preserved

I looked online and most people say you should NEVER do this, I was wondering if it's really OK to do it?
I mean, you boil the brine before you do can it, and if you add vinegar and salt to the old brine then it should really be fine,.. right?

if you boil the brine before reusing it i guess it should be fine? but it seems like a bad idea if you don't

It's only a bad idea if you think that you can re-use brine and then have shelf-stable pickles (or in other words, be able to store them without refrigeration).

Re-using brine is perfectly fine as long as you keep your new pickles in the fridge.