>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:

first for sabriel

Second for reminder that in 14 days, two weeks, The Unholy Consult will be released. Please be sure to buy my latest book when it comes out!

Huh that was fast.

Tfw you just want everyone to hurry up and die so they can party in hell

I hope that 1 talent whore is dead

pretty fucking excited tbqh desu

Michael, one of the more prominent names in the greatest fantasy book, the Holy Bible.

>tfw bakker is the king of samefags

We're all bakker samefagging, you filthy baseborn nigger

I just read this today. I don't get the hype around it. Just felt like a totally ripped off, shoddily written BladeRunner. I'm new to this whole science fiction thing, but I really thought Hyperion did a much better job in the very small amount of cyber punk it had.

>anytime bakker is mentioned it's always one person

Cyber punk you want? Altered Carbon is your next choice.

Added to my list. Thank you, user.

Thanks to whoever recommended Jemisin. Read it and hated the first two pages so much that I've moved on to the Arabian Nights - the translator's intro, which is usually very dry and boring, is already more captivating and has more literary merit than anything Jemisin could ever shit out.

I hope you read the blurb and a few non spoiler reviews to see if it's what you wanted.
You also might enjoy Metro 2033 and Roadside picnic.
If you want wacky modern pulp, try The undying mercenaries.
You want mystery and discovery, tey Library at mount char.
It goes without saying. Check the blurbs to see if it's what you like.

>literary merit
Hmmm

Looks like you're too dumb to communicate like a normal person and must resort to memes, but I'll bite. So I shit on Jemisin and say I find the Arabian Nights has more literary merit and your rebuttal is that genre has no literary merit although I never implied so in the first place? If anything, I did just the opposite.

Yeah, thanks for that enlightened critic.

i read the magicians guild when i was like thirteen and remember almost none of it

im on a streak of reading the longest fantasy series' i can find. Im thinking Inda and the rest of those books is my next target but maybe not.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

I have already read these: malazan, riftwar cycle, wheel of time, game of thrones, deathgate cycle and some others i may remember if said.

Again thanks and I literally don't care about quality.

Actualy he's implying you're a snob from "outer Veeky Forums" who only reads antique books. The next meme will be calling you a "dinosaur" or something with a bunch of WordArt... just ignore it.

Arabian Nights is a retarded pajeet fairy tale for children.

Actually I was saying take your spook filled ass out our general.

Relax, he just needs an easier to digest book about moral stories written by literal subhumans.

So you're retarded as well as autistic.

>Nursery rhymes have literary merit
This is the state of this general.

So... fantasy?

>"literal subhumans"
Ah, right. No prizes for guessing where you stumbled in from.

Nice damage control retard.

>Actualy he's implying you're a snob from "outer Veeky Forums" who only reads antique books. The next meme will be calling you a "dinosaur" or something with a bunch of WordArt... just ignore it.

Ah, right, I just saw Stirner and 'literary merit' in greentext and thought his angle was criticizing sf.

I think those Xanthax or w/e books, and Discworld.
Anita Blake has 26 books and counting (they're trash after book 8).
Dresden Files has 14?
Black Company has 10.
Kim Harrison's Hollows has 13 books.

>literal subhumans.

So arabs are subhumans but black people aren't? /pol/ is so progressive these days.

>he hasn't read the fourth bear

Xanth, not Xanthax.

Amber Chronicles
The Belgariad and The Malloreon
Dragonlance
Earthsea
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
Redwall
Riyria Revelations and Riyria Chronicles
The Last Kingdom Series (Historical fiction but reminiscent of fantasy)

> >Nursery rhymes have literary merit
This is the state of this general.

Holy shit the ignorance. This is how I know I'm in the containment thread: the idiots think Arabian Nights is a nursery rhyme. How many fucking nursery rhymes do you know that have a queen that orders a slave to bang her while his slave mates have an orgy around them?

Biography of the Life of Manuel

You said you didn't care about quality, does the idea of a huge series that's exceptionally good sound off-putting to you?

>Biography of the Life of Manuel

That's shit based solely on the title. A biography is by default the written record of someone's life. Someone with such a poor grasp of words and their meaning has no business being an author.

>Well first off, you should know that I don’t write fantasy – only hacks write fantasy. My books are about the triumph of the human spirit which just happen to have everything you would find in The Wheel of Time

Jemisin alongside Wolfe?

One of these is not like the other.

James Cabell's life's work eternally BTFO

Arabs are subhumans for oppressing blacks and stealing Egypt, where they had been kings.

Catherynne Valente confirmed T H I C C

>neilgaimanfanpanel.jpg

Looks like a coalburner

>People on Veeky Forums
'I read great fantasy books by respectable authors like Steven Erikson and William Gibson'
>Me

Could you stop pretending as if there's more people bakkerposting than just you, Bakker?

I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the great fantasy / sci-fi there is already, and I'm not sure where to start or if I even have the time to immerse myself into all this as much as I want to.

Where should I start?

(So far, I've only read Asimov's Foundation series, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit, The first 4 books from ASOIAF, The Gunslinger, Stranger in a Strange Land, Citizen of the Galaxy, and the Holy Bible. Also, a few short stories like "I have no mouth and I must scream".)

Howard is for real niggas

Mistborn
The Name of the WIND
Prince of ThOrNs

That's not thicc. That's construction worker mode.

thanks for the recs guys

Does the Book of the new Sun have shitty prose like The prince of nothing series?

No. Its not all flowery but it does what it needs to do, quite excelent at times.

I'll bite the meme then. I hope I'm not disappointed.

just read blindsight my dude

the only thing Blindsight was missing was obnoxiously immature "future speak".
though that's excused in the passage where siri explains they're all speaking like 5 languages

I'm trying to find a download of the Suicide Squad novelization but LibGen doesn't seem to have it. Anyone have any idea where else I can look?

No invites required
Mobilism → Libgen → Irchighway #ebooks → Undernet → TPB → VK

Nonfic
Libgen → TPB

Audiobooks
Audiobooksbay

Ideal process with invites
Myanonamouse → Bibliotik (hard to source invite) → Mobilism → Libgen → Irchighway #ebooks → Undernet → TPB → VK

Thank you very much for the help. Found it on IRC.

As you see, I am no longer silent, Maya Toivovna.I have spoken.
Everything that I could any and everything that I knew how to say.
Good fucking god, the ending of the Time Wanderers by the Strugatskys, guys! FUCKING HELL

that is a good meme format
preferable to wordart
don't expect him to pick up on it though, he can't do subtle

A lot of it won't make sense at first, you really need all four parts before the big picture makes any sense. And even then most people don't get much at all until the second reading. Keep in mind that until you've read 2800 pages worth of Book of the New Sun you haven't really experienced it. Shitters complaining halfway through Claw of the Conciliator are always wrong about everything.

>Book of the New Sun is comparable to Malazan
To quote the greatest man who has ever lived 'This isn't even good nonsense'.

... Why is pol here?
When we get rid of yall in outer, do you guys try to hide in here?

>A lot of it won't make sense at first, you really need all four parts before the big picture makes any sense. And even then most people don't get much at all until the second reading. Keep in mind that until you've read 2800 pages worth of Book of the New Sun you haven't really experienced it. Shitters complaining halfway through Claw of the Conciliator are always wrong about everything.

I thought it was one book. How many are there?

>great fantasy / sci-fi
>the Holy Bible
Kek. Look here.

Its one book in 4 parts, think Lord of the Rings

Stop samefagging. And no I will not "pick it up" because there is only one person who read Blindsight and that other sci-fi book(cold something / ice). He is always crying that no one is there to discuss with him. This is just a new way trying to shill people into blindsight so he can have people to discuss with. It seems I'm a pussy, and a Jew to boot.

How come nobody's writing any Solomon Kane/Conan-esque fantasy anymore?

>The Urth of the New Sun

So I have to buy 2 books then?

>Calling someone a nigger is pol

It is. Edgy kids used to do it ironically in /b/ 10+ years ago, now it's the stormfront invaders who say it, unironically.

Blindsight had plenty of neologisms, something that has always irked me a bit with scifi; I don't think I've ever read a scifi book with completely 'natural' feeling neologisms, they always feel a bit forced.

And yes, the crew being revealed to be speaking in dozens of languages was a cool concept. How you throw in Hindi and Farsi and Mandarin words to better get across what you're trying to convey because they do it better than the equivalent words in English or French or German say.

Not him, but I'd be very content with as many people reading it as possible. It really is a fantastic book. It has it's problems of course, as often happens when non-writers become writers and invariably go for scifi, but those are all overshadowed by how good it is in general. Echopraxia was a let down in comparison but still a nice enough read.

Personally I'm looking forward to the third (and final?) book in the series he's writing. Hopefully some of the leftover questions from both books are going to be answered.

Well you're so sure of yourself, so you must be right

>correcting people on their manners in an online anonymous Japanese image board

Read the Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon. The first book had some good ideas and some passages were really moving, then it became utter trash. I have no idea how the author convinced the editor to publish 9 books and counting, or how they average 4 stars on Goodreads.

The female protagonist is depicted as a very, very strong woman despite being frail and having no personality. Her main traits are loving everyone and being able to show big, bad men the wickedness of their ways just by being so cute. Oh and she likes music.

If you want a book series that you can read mindlessly, a book series that you can enjoy, don't bother. But if you want a series made for a real man, one that you have to fight at every page in order to continue, a constant struggle against yourself, a real test of discipline, then this is the series for you.

>Edgy kids used to do it ironically in /b/ 10+ years ago
>ironically
:-)

How do you guys like your alien invasion?
A military campaign aiming domination of the human species,
Lovecraftian monster from The Beyond that seeks to exterminate every biological organism,
A covert operation seeking to infiltrate and subvert mankind into submisson.

I can only think of these three, but if you think of any else it's okay too.

oh fucking awesome
i should lurk these threads more to keep up i guess

Anyone read this? Curious if it's any good.

Whats the best action scene you have ever read?

Why... Why did you use my chart for the post charts part?
post charts guys

It makes so much sense now that the Malazan butthurt autist user is also the Blindsight shill user. He probably the goodreads butthurt user too, because they don't like his blindsight.

There is not one good reason why Roland from Darktower should be racechanged in the movie.

shit, got the first 3 books here but haven't even read them.

>fat flying gingers

>reading Stephen King

>playing league of legends

yeah sure but it's everything else changing that tells me it's going to be bad

only wolfe & dota for me

>Not him, but I'd be very content with as many people reading it as possible.
It's a very popular book in this general, WordArt just calls people samefags when he disagrees, in his long rambling complaints that prove he needs gassed. Just one death would improve the general about 300% and you won't find anyone who disagrees and doesn't use WordArt's highly distinctive writing style.

there's actually a little revival movement going on right now, drastically varying quality though. Cirsova's probably the best place to look at that, they've got their first two issues free on their website.

>wanting to gas the retarded little brother of /sffg/
Have you no soul user?

Does Glen Cook's Black Company series get better later on? Finished the first three books and I didn't really enjoy it. It's like the author is self-inserting as the protagonist so he can get his evil waifu.

no one forces you to watch the movie and/or give money to whoever is making it.

Robert Howard's Conan stories were published in Weird Tales in the 1930s. IIRC its circulation didn't exceed 50,000, and that was during the heyday of pulp anthologies and magazines. Do any of the modern mags and anthologies even have 50,000 readers today? There's no venue and market for professional short story writers of genre fiction anymore; it's now the pursuit of mere hobbyists, idealists and enthusiasts. Even further, the likes of HP Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith will never be seen again because the modern way of life doesn't throw up these sorts of writers.

when you put it that way I feel bad
It's just very unpleasant to be having a conversation on whatever forbidden subject and have WordArt come in screeching. If he put on a trip you could choose whether or not to see him.

It's true that short story writing probably isn't as profitable than as it used to b e. But I think it's a good starting point for new writers to get some starting chops and actually finish some things instead of just revising chapter one for 9 months on your first book. It's certainly better than starting out with a bloated 9 volume series or whatever the hell is hip with contemporary SF&F writers nowadays.

Finished Blindsight recently. A real good story, and it's always nice when the author actually does the fucking research and knows what he's talking about. But after all the hype here and elsewhere I guess I was expecting something more. In the end I didn't really care about the characters, because they are all so inhuman and hard to relate to. I suppose that was the idea, but still. Among comparable books, Accelerando does this better IMO.

But

I really wanted to talk to her. I just couldn't find an algorithm that fit.

ALL OF MY FEELS