What do you think about Giacomo Leopardi?

What do you think about Giacomo Leopardi?
Is he the poet with the worst life?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacomo_Leopardi
livre.fnac.com/a1458614/Giacomo-Leopardi-Zibaldone
amazon.com/Zibaldone-Spanish-Giacomo-Leopardi/dp/8496974642
amazon.com/Zibaldone-II-Spanish-Giacomo-Leopardi/dp/8496974693
periodicos.unb.br/index.php/belasinfieis/article/viewFile/16490/11751
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Amazing poet. I used to hate him when I studied him in high school, but now I'd be lying if I said I don't find some of his works to be nothing short of phenomenal.

And yeah, he had a ridiculously shitty life, but I think Keats is a good contender.

I can relate to how he doesn't get the woman and struggles with things less sensitive people have no problem with.

He had rheumatiod pains and extreme scoliosis; he had pott's disease (or Ankylosing spondylitis), all this caused psychological problems.
His life was shit: he was isolated, never got to play with other kids, hewas always rejected by the woman of his life, the only time he tried to get with a hooker some brats found him and started making a joke out of him (he never got to have sex with her)

Source:

Pietro Citati: Leopardi
Vito D'Adamo: Il Giacomo Leopardi torrese
You can find the rest on wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacomo_Leopardi it has all the sources

I like him, L'infinito is a classic.

Italian here.
Is shitty life gave him the chance of achieving perfect craftmanship. Leopardi's grip on the Italian language is downright astonishing, to the point where many times I find myself uncapable of believing that someone actually composed these poems. They're a miracle.
In Italy this is widely recognized, the motto of the 19th and 20th century literary academia was ''Dante, Petrarca e Leopardi''.

Robert Walsers was worse. Borderline homeless lifelong virgin whos entire family either died of cancer or committed suicide by the time he was 40. Lived out the last 20 years of his life in a sanatarium

damn, ive read a bunch of his work and had no idea of his biography. im amazed his work is so joyous and pure

I remember reading somewhere that a friend of his asked why his work is so positive despite his life, Walser said something like "I want people to believe there is still innocence in this world

Georg trakl probably beats him but hey at least he met Wittgenstein

>Dante, Petrarca e Leopardi

No Ariosto?

It's supoosed to be: Dante, Petrarca and Boccaccio

I'm not sure there is a ranking to be made here but it's clear shitty lives make for great poetry. Hölderlin comes to mind.

Artaud- Baudelaire-Rimbaud.

My Top Three Damned Poets:

Aloysius Bertrand
Lautreamont
Georg Trakl

Honorable Mention to Emile Nelligan.

Agreed with this.

His poems are incredible but if you don't read at least some parts of the Zibaldone you miss a big part of what Leopardi was (and is).

It's pretty hard to top Poe's tragic meme life and yet you guys shit on his poetry constantly.

It's not avaible in my country, problably because it's too long. What am I missing?

Years ago I had to read two times in a row his biography because I wasn't sure I misse out something. Meme life is a really accurate depiction

Strange, it really is not that long. It's "L'infinito", a brief lyric considered one of his best. It was an english traduction though

He's talking about the Zibaldone.
It was translated in English some years ago, I don't about other languages.

*don't know

Exactly, I'm talking about Zibaldone. I know this translation, but it's strange to read him in english, since my mother tongue is a romance one.

Calvino makes references to this work all the time, so I'd like to know what am I missing.

>French
livre.fnac.com/a1458614/Giacomo-Leopardi-Zibaldone
>Spanish
amazon.com/Zibaldone-Spanish-Giacomo-Leopardi/dp/8496974642
amazon.com/Zibaldone-II-Spanish-Giacomo-Leopardi/dp/8496974693

Poortuguese?

Looking online I can only find this source:
periodicos.unb.br/index.php/belasinfieis/article/viewFile/16490/11751