Best edition of the Histories

Best edition of the Histories.
Prove me wrong.
You can't.

>reading English translations of Latin
wew

>not investing years of my life into a dead language with no practical application besides shitposting on a Japanese cartoon fan club website

hackett>this piece of badly bound shit

too expensive

Hackett is for plebs.

shit translation

hahaha what the fuck

what a stupid opinion

>latin
>no practical application
Wow, you're genuinely retarded. There's a reason why universities still have great Latin programs.

>Herodotus
>Latin

It really is because of the maps and notes.

Since we're on ancient Greek history. Does Thucydides get any better? I'm about 100 pages in and his style is boring me to death. All these fictional elongated speeches are really starting to get on my nerves. It was also kind of hard to read Herodotus because of his many digressions, however, in retrospect I can remember the happenings of the Greco-Persian wars much better now. Also his stories about Persian life were quite humanizing and interesting, something I was not expecting.

Thucydides was a cuck, just power through brother.

The speeches are the best part, the Melian dialogues form a basis for modern game theory. You could, theoretically, skip them, since they only serve to illustrate points of view that were prevalent at the time, although then that gives the subsequent events no context.

>not reading Greek translated into Latin translated into anglo saxon grunts and mutterings.

>It was also kind of hard to read Herodotus because of his many digressions
That's the best part of Herodotus though. Also the shit like "someone told me that a goat had intercourse with a woman in the streets of that city, but I do not know if this is true"

Literally one of the most respected publishers.

>let me tell you about the Persians
>proceeds to write 130 pages on Egyptians including a massive part about the flooding of the Nile

The speeches are the best part.
You sound like a dumb pleb with no appreciation for the art of rhetoric.

You have to admit that would have been baller for his audience in his day though, especially with all his not-quite-true stories like the flying snakes.

>All these fictional elongated speeches are really starting to get on my nerves.
>It was also kind of hard to read Herodotus because of his many digressions
>The metaphors in moby-dick were boring
>The language in KJV is outdated
>Why does Homer keep repeating phrases

You literally might as well not bother reading further, because the things you don't like are exactly why everyone else reads and likes those books. What the fuck were you expecting Thucydides to be?

Has anyone here read the Thucydides or Xenophon ones? Are they any good?

Mine

>I can remember the happenings of the Greco-Persian wars much better now.

Apparently he is reading ancient historians for plot lol

Yes I have all of them.
They''re good.
The Arrian edition has really shitty binding.
Hoping they fix that shit for the new Caesar one coming this year.

nigger, I know what rhetoric is, that doesnt mean he has to put these devices into every single speech from beginning to end in order to get his education point across

>Landmark Herodotus
>provides complete Maps, Annotations, Appendices, and Encyclopedic Index
>Hackett Herodotus
>provides half ass Maps and Tables with shitty translator
>thinks it's even better than Landmark

Donkey brains like you shouldn't be to post on Veeky Forums you absolutely piece of trash.

>Landmark Herodotus
>provides complete Maps, Annotations, Appendices, and Encyclopedic Index
>Hackett Herodotus
>provides half ass Maps and Tables with shitty translator
>thinks it's even better than Landmark

Dognkey brains like you shouldn't be allowed to post on Veeky Forums, fucking piece of trash.

So...

> You literally might as well not bother reading further, because the things you don't like are exactly why everyone else reads and likes those books.

>Hacket
>literally one of the most famous and respected translators of greek
>just enough maps to help you understand what's happening while also learning regional geography
>Landmark
>spend 600 pages being spoonfed geography
>"finish the greeks"
>still know no geography
>still totally unable to read history that isn't offered in shitty Veeky Forums chart form
>still unable to find, explore, and understand non-fiction primary sources
>still unable to parse through secondary sources of varying value
>still leaning on a single book publisher as a crutch because nobody else publishes that much fucking extra content
>still come to shit up the board with "where do I go next" threads when the whole point of the Greeks is to give you the tools you need to not have to ask that question anymore
>still LITERALLY (THIS PAST FUCKING WEEK) make threads complaining that you can't understand geography
>muh landmark

lol fuck off noob

Stop littering this thread with made up garbage, Mr. Trashman.

>such huge unrelated green text
I'm starting to think this guy is totally demented.

Almost an argument

Bunch of fucking scrubs acting like they know anything about the greeks

Fuck off dement.

butthurt pseud detected

go back to your babby's first greeks

>>literally one of the most famous and respected translators of greek
Citation needed.
>>just enough maps to help you understand what's happening while also learning regional geography
Good for you.
>>Landmark
>>spend 600 pages being spoonfed geography
It doesn't have 600 pages
>>"finish the greeks"
>>still know no geography
Trying this hard.
>>still totally unable to read history that isn't offered in shitty Veeky Forums chart form
>Gives total insight into Herodotus: the Histories in the simplest text yet think it's unreadable
Never buying Hackshit if it make up retards like you with this sort of denial.
>>still unable to find, explore, and understand non-fiction primary sources
You're retarded, aren't you?
>>still unable to parse through secondary sources of varying value
What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>still leaning on a single book publisher as a crutch because nobody else publishes that much fucking extra content
Obviously, I don't need some half ass shit that make up retards like you who spew frivolous shit all day to establish dominance but fails.
>>still come to shit up the board with "where do I go next" threads when the whole point of the Greeks is to give you the tools you need to not have to ask that question anymore
>>still LITERALLY (THIS PAST FUCKING WEEK) make threads complaining that you can't understand geography
The thread is nothing about that. Haha, Confirmed retard.

>LalalalalaLATIN???

>butthurt pseudo detected
>says the guy who prefers Hackett over Landmark
I said fuck off demente

Learn to poo in the loo, Turdjeet.

>Citation needed.
You need a citation to tell you that Lattimore is one of the most famous and respected translators of Greek? lmao

>It doesn't have 600 pages
Yeah you're right it's 752 pages.

>Never buying Hackshit if it make up retards like you with this sort of denial.
Go for it. Comfortably sit in the ranks of pseuds who circlejerk over their unread Landmarks and have shit Greek shelves. Enjoy your literally autistic aversion to a respectable publisher, for literally no reason at all.

>You need a citation to tell you that Lattimore is one of the most famous and respected translators of Greek?
You actually think he is? lol Either way, Hackett Herodotus isn't translated by Lattimore. And stop being in a delusion that Lattimore is a better translator of the Greek when the obvious answer is Robert Fitzgerald.

>Go for it. Comfortably sit in the ranks of pseuds who circlejerk over their unread Landmarks and have shit Greek shelves. Enjoy your literally autistic aversion to a respectable publisher, for literally no reason at all.
My shelf is better than yours, shitskin. Now go back to shitting your blatant cancer on Tmblr.

>Yeah you're right it's 752 pages
Wrong again, demente.

That's actually my bad, I got mixed up and was talking about the Hackett Thucydides. No idea if Hackett even does a Herodotus. Also >>>fitzgerald

>My shelf is better than yours, shitskin

Post it tough guy. Would love to go pic for pic with you. I've talked to maybe 2 people on this board who could even hope to hold a candle to my Greek/Roman shelves.

See the pic retard. And if you're talking about the landmark herodotus, that one's 953 pages. PS stop trying to make "demente" happen, it's not going to happen.

>Reading Herodotus in Latin
wew

>And if you're talking about the landmark
Herodotus
No, I've been talking about how you're making a monkey out of yourself this entire time. lol

Anonymous 06/22/17(Thu)12:17:09 No.9665666▶
>
>That's actually my bad, I got mixed up and was talking about the Hackett Thucydides. No idea if Hackett even does a Herodotus. Also >>>fitzgerald
>>My shelf is better than yours, shitskin
>Post it tough guy. Would love to go pic for pic with you. I've talked to maybe 2 people on this board who could even hope to hold a candle to my Greek/Roman shelves.
I'm done talking to you, dude demente.

uh oh, someone got spooked by an actual confrontation.

I've got $5 that says you have an unread set of Homer, maybe a Herodotus, and some banged up bullshit like "select dialogues of Plato."

Maybe stay out of Greek threads until you've read some Greeks.

PS learn to fucking post right, retard

Learn to first make out what you're talking about dude demente.

>clinging this hard to one detail of an argument hoping that nobody will notice you getting totally fucking cucked

still waiting for that pic m8

You're nothing but just a glorified pretentious crook head hungry for superior shit that youcan't establish. Maybe be sit back in your 'what have I done' basement and hit that keyboard with a hammer.

>calling someone else pretentious
>on Veeky Forums

Is there any faster way to admit that you're out of your depth?

Worry less about me and more about how to stop being dude demented.

Ps:
Leave the Greaks to us and be freak somewhere else.

>shit
Shit opinion.
No, seriously.

original user who mentioned the hackett here. the landmark series is literally edited by some independent lad, and hackett is literally top 3 ancient philosophy translation publishers, if not number 1. Regarding the actual translations though, I much prefer the one by mensch. Also the notes by James Romm are very good. Moreover, the autistic map per 3 pages is simply not necessary for herodotus, while for thucydides one could make the case. Lastly, the binding on hacketts are not the best, but this landmark book just falls apart while reading it.

you nearly meme'd me, son

the joke is on you. you cannot meme papa.

>6
>That Pericles' speech to the fallen

what's literally equivalent of K I N O?

>landmark series is literally edited by some independent lad
Google tells me that Mensch is more amateur than Purvis, though.

>hackett is literally top 3 ancient philosophy translation publishers, if not number 1.
The label? Could be. Being a classic label with an not so good translator doesn't make it a good work. The more later the translation the better it should be but here The Landmark takes the lead with comparison to the Hackett.

>autistic map per 3 pages is simply not necessary for herodotus
I want total insight of what have had happen because I'm refuse to gain half ass knowledge about events. Especially to the one which is considered to be the first history book.

>landmark book just falls apart while reading it.
They are suppose to be kept on table and read with a notepad, pen/pencil. Holding huge books in hands to ready looks pretty dorky and just make anyone seem like they're showing off.

>"Leave the Greaks" to people who can't spell "Greek"

which is?

Youre projecting, also I'm talking about the editor not the translator

Girk. Deal with it.

I know that you are talking about the Editor and you should know that I'm talking about the translator.

Hackett is not the end all be all publisher. They're great but it's not impossible to be outdone especially when the Landmark series is so detailed.

Read the Penguin of this and Thucydides when I was a kid and liked them both well enough, although both capped at a time before i had developed any real critical consciousness. Have since read the Landmark Thucydides and absolutely loved it, perhaps THE most reader-friendly volume of any classical text I have ever read in translation. If the Herodotus is as helpful, well then..