[current year]

>[current year]
>reading originals

kek

when will you faggots realize that translation is the ultimate path to patricianhood? there is literally NO reason to know languages other than english and -maybe-, MAYBE, chinese, but probably not even that

pleb

>Mandelbaum (Recommended)

Ciardi is way better than Mandelbaum.

Should I read translated works in my native language (Romanian) or in English?

fucking american, stay out of my country.

This is a shit chart

>Ciardi
Good version.

>Mandelbaum
This is actually a poor edition and an unnecessary middle ground between the above and below. Why even recommend this if the Ciardi and Hollander editions exist?

>Hollander
Great edition, probably the standard edition of our time.

>Singleton
This is the only of its type that needed be included.

>Musa
Why is Musa rated this badly? Even the Italians gave him an award for his Dante scholarship. Musa's plainer translations actually correspond closely to the unadorned style of the original literary Italian. The notes might be terse, but it's a decent intro edition.

>Cary, Longellow, but no Carlyle
Each were standard versions in English for a long time. Why did the chart maker skip Carlyle?

Most of the other editions didn't need mentioning.

OP, why do you think that original languages are not needed? English isn't even a single dialect and will fracture, like Latin into new languages, in a couple of centuries.

I bet if the Ruskies won the Cold War, you'd be backing Russian.

Dude, no prob for me, I'm Italian

Musa's notes have flaws, but he's petty as fuck to other scholars. It's great reading half a page of him bitching about a slight difference in the symbolism. Being a Dante scholar must be a sad life because all you think about is Dante and other Dante scholars.

Should I read Dante in spanish or english?

ill be dead in a couple of centuries

>I bet if the Ruskies won the Cold War, you'd be backing Russian

well no shit

Better stick with the side that will obviously win, until it doesn't. Mongrel.

??? what are you even trying to say? i know chinese too idiot, and there's zero chance anything other than english or chinese will be the dominant language of the world within my lifetime

for someone on Veeky Forums you have surprisingly poor comprehension skills

I'm saying you're a bigger idiot and wrong. English isn't even dominant. There are more speakers of Spanish. And yes, it's a relevant language, since Mexicans are taking over the USA.

Spanish, Portuguese/Brazilian, and Hindi aren't that far off, and have a real potential for stifling English and Chinese. And China isn't even interested in overseas influence, they have have too many poo in loos and nips to worry about cucking their country.

not him but you need to go back to /pol/

I prefer Greek translations from the English one's for most things.
They were objectivelly better.

Why do you think there's no reason to study languages other than English or Chinese? All the major languages are capable of expressing and adapting complex semantic meaning. People grow into them as a matter of nationality, and they have real rivalry with English, otherwise English speakers would have already taken over their countries. They all have insight, even if English might be the richest and largest.

And people who learnt English as a first language also often turn to French, Russian, and Japanese, because those languages offer a richer experience of the culture they grew alongside with. Your reasoning so far has been circular.

To add, in many cases, English oversimplifies notions etc.
It is wide, but not deep.

Such notions can be conveyed with annotations, if not in the text itself. English can contain Greek within it, and vice versa, but English is currently the more important language.

Well, in other languages you get the heavy stuff right away, no annotations needed.

Is the conversation about people aknowledging the power of the English language or something.
I unironically ask what is the point of the thread.

If you can't answer these you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

99% of my country's classics aren't translated into English. Good luck reading them.

Nothing of value was lost

You'll never know.

Your country being?

Yeah, just like Kafka's worthless work was lost. You don't even know what country I come from you miserable pleb.

Kafka's work is worthless. You're not helping your case.

Your country is shit, it doesn't deserve to be named.

Macedonia.

Yeah, and England is not shit, the incest root country. Helping my case is exactly what I'm doing - I'm reading both native and foreign literature.

>Macedonia
Shit it is then.

You don't even know anything about it. If you didn't know some classic writer would you have the right to say that he is shit?

>Kafka's work is worthless

delete this

Objectively false. Mandelbaum and Lombardo are the best, even though Lombardo only ever translated Inferno.

both are severely shit.

Why are English-speakers on this site so insecure about language domininon?
Do you feel something?

you sound like you're from a third world country

:/
Czokolwiek. Wypierdalam.
Να'σαι kαλα!

Truth. If a book can't be translated then it's not universal and therefor shit. There's a reason why the Bible is the greatest piece of literature ever written.

cao ni ma

Romanian here. From my experience English translations are far better--that is, if you know the language well, of course. They are far greater in number and more varied too, hence the endless translation debates here and op's pic. Heck, for most works there aren't even alternative translations in Romanian.

>Macedonia
That's not even a country. And you'll be forced to change its name too soon, lmao.

>tfw you spend so much time here that you start to recognize random user from their recurrent posts

>only translates inferno
>"best" anything

lmao @ u

>only made one version of the chart ever
>thinks his washed up opinions matter

lmao @ you cuck

i didnt make this chart

i didnt make that post

i didnt

What do you even mean by universal? Maybe they aren't translated because the country is too poor to do it and the state budget is abused? And then the writers write about how they're abused and that's the exact reason why their work isn't promoted. You are retarded.

Yeah, the nations that were once the strongest empires are now not even countries, and the rest of the world is afraid to aknowledge and affirm their real name because it's afraid. That's how it goes in the trashy present.

And that country's writers will write about that difficult situation of the population and will make the best masterpieces. Because art is refuge of the lonely etc.

You should read it in Italian.

When will you realize that you forced an entire planet to speak a bullshit shallow language with no depth at all for your own convenience?

What if I wanted a language with proper spelling, a 2nd PLURAL person and more tenses?
Oh, right, I already have Italian for that.

t. sore loser

But I dont speak italian user

What's your email jacob hurley? Also, why did you make that fake top 100? This chart is pretty damn good though

pretty sure he's on the discord under "percy" pretty cool dude, smart as fuck and has read nearly all the canon

Learn it.

Y-you too.

obviously spanish.

this is for every book: translations between french, italian, spanish and portuguese will ALWAYS be better than the translation of any of these to english. plus, any of those are more beautiful than english, literally the only reason to read a book in english is if it is the original language.

>third world countries/languages try desperately to justify their existence

just stop, this is getting embarassing

>I tried to justify their existence

you literally can't even interpretate a simple phrase, please stop posting, you self-centered monolingual burger. much obliged.

I plan to but I want to finish learning French first.

Thank you.
But I always assumed german would translate better to english. Is that true?

I have no idea, can't read a thing in german, but in spanish, french and italian I can read decently. First time I read divine comedy, I read it in english, even though my native tongue is portuguese, and now I am re-reading it in portuguese with the original italian text by side and its just so much better. Because the languages are similar, the translation is way better, the translator even uses the same 6word as the original text very often, which helps to mantain the rhythm and musicality of the original text, which doesn't happen in the english translation.

look at this, for instance, its the original italian and the considered best translation to brazilian portuguese. several words are identical, and others, even if not exactly the same, they have very similar pronunciation. I could take a pic of the english translation but I am a bit lazy, but anyway, I really believe it will be a very similar case with a spanish translation.

I like Anglos, but your rulling classes are now in a Nihilist state that most of us is a been therw done that...you are becoming totalitarian bwoy...