Is Shakespeare too white?

As a non-white person whose first language is English, I have a hard time liking his plays, especially Hamlet, and prefer reading more universal books like the Bible.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailysignal.com/2016/12/13/ivy-league-students-tear-down-shakespeare-portrait-in-name-of-diversity/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you have to go back

3/10 b8

>Is Shakespeare too white?
WTF does this mean?

>non-white person
Elaborate.

He's Italian.

White is a blanket term. Is he too British? Anglocentric?

fuck off back to /pol/, retard

This.

Shakespeare wasn't meant for you, OP, just as the white nation you're currently squatting in wasn't meant for you. You are out of place and partaking in cultural manifestations that are not your own; it is therefore natural for you to feel indifferent and even antagonistic toward it. But this is precisely why you must go back: you will always be an alien in an alien culture, who was let into a nation that wasn't yours by our traitors who were bribed by jews. Go back home, you'll feel more comfortable and no one there will force you to read Shakespeare.

How can someone be "too" white? I understand not being white enough, but the opposite?

OP is just too dumb to understand Shakespeare. Shakespeare's work is admired by people all around the world, especially by Asians and Hispanics.

OP is a /pol/-poster who wants an identity politics thread on Veeky Forums, preferably one about jews, women, and blacks

Probably a lot less than you think. But of course that is to some degree true since white culture is unparalleled in value. Whites should not expect nonwhites to appreciate our cultural heritage, though, and 9 times out of 10 they won't.

This is the future of Shakespeare if whites don't start waking up:

dailysignal.com/2016/12/13/ivy-league-students-tear-down-shakespeare-portrait-in-name-of-diversity/

>Shakespeare is too white xdddd
Please kill yourself minorities like you are the reason /pol/ is rising to power
T.Arab

>Shhh! Stop being so overt about your hatred of white culture or whites will wake up and kick rent-seeking non-whites like us out of their countries!

Pretty sure I read somewhere Shakespeare was white, but the girl responsible for writing his plays wasn't. At my high school at least, our english teacher said it was unlikely Shakespeare could have written the plays without the help of a woman because he couldn't read according to all history that has been recorded about Shakespeare the man (and barely spell his own name, which wasn't uncommon for the time).

i died user i love you

Shakespeare is bigger around the globe than he is in the anglosphere. He's fucking huge in Brazil, and greatly admired in continental Europe. If Shakespeare dies in America and the UK, his legacy will continue elsewhere.

By the way, the reason he's less admired by his fellow anglos is because his antiquated language is difficult for them to understand, while the translated versions of his work are necessarily written in contemporary parlance. So it's often much easier to read Shakespeare in a foreign language than it is to read him in English.

I really hope that this is a troll

>, the reason he's less admired by his fellow anglos is because his antiquated language is difficult for them to understand
Or, because Shakespeare is a meme, and there are other British writers who are tremendously out of his class.

>shakespeare
>meme

No, not really. The beauty of his verse is only matched by Keats, and the psychological depth of his characters weren't rivaled until the late 19th-early 20th centuries. Very few global authors rival him, let alone British ones.

>He's fucking huge in Brazil
And assuming that's true, his popularity is guaranteed to be concentrated among the German/Italian/other European diaspora there. The 80 IQ Afro-Indios that make up the majority of the population are certainly not big into Shakespeare.

Early English literature is scarce compared to continental literature. This attitude was especially prevalent when Protestant England alone waged war against the Catholics of France and Spain. Luckily, Protestant Shakespeare was promoted to be the eternal Patron of Elizabeth Literature in the maturing English identity. He's a symbol used to promote the English identity desu.

His plays aren't even good reading. His poetry is great, but it is nothing special compared to Keats, Shelley, Tennyson, Coleridge, and even American poets like Poe or Longfellow

Shakespeare's is revered even by anglophobes. The way Goethe, Kierkegaard, Dostoesvky, etc. admired him demonstrates that his place in the canon comes more from his work's inherent qualities than from any sort of English cultural imperialism.

A lot of these older books are FULL of transphobia, really detracts from thei value. Or does it?

Basically the theme of my dissertation :)

Shakespeare was 'discovered' by the Germans in the 18th/19th centurys, when German scholarship was the best in the world.

go back to your containment board

im non-binary, do not identify as /lgbtq/ thank you very much!

that's fine i'm a trilobite but i still find this weak b8 m8 r8 3/8

>non-binary
Fucking kill yourself narcissistic piece of shit

How is that edgy?

No shit? That doesn't make Shakespeare any less of a propaganda effort to increase the English identity.

Let's be honest: Most of Shakespeare fucking sucks.

There's nothing inherently special about his career and works. Marlow, Jonson, and Beaumont & Fletcher are just as good, and better in some aspects.

Shakespeare was heavily promoted because the British needed an identity for themselves, and Shakespeare became it.

Look at you being an adorable little iconoclast. Centuries of foreign (non-anglo) confirmation prove that Shakespeare is valued by people who have no interest in propagating English identity or English exceptionalism. He's just a great writer. Same as Cervantes, same as Proust, same as Tolstoy. He's loved around the world because the quality of his work primarily.

>Let's be honest: Most of Shakespeare fucking sucks.

>op is too dumb to understand shakespear
>wew lad, you're actually retarded. What's there to understand about shakespear? He made plays to entertain people and it's kinda hard to miss the points of his plays.

Seconded. Though it's not really fair to judge it solely as literature. He wrote it with the intent on it being performed by actors with visuals, sets, and props.

>Let's be honest: Most of Shakespeare fucking sucks
>doesn't post examples
>most
>implying you've read Shakespeare since high school
Give some examples of this hot opinion.