English - What's this?

English - What's this?
German - Was ist das?
French - Qu'est-ce que c'est que ça? (literally: What is it which it is which it?)

What the fuck is wrong with this fucking meme language?

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registres_de_langue_en_français
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

French is idiom on top of idiom

>chooses the longest possible way to say it in French just to make it seem complicated

Nice bro.

P.S.

>C'est quoi?
>Ça c'est quoi?
>Qu'est-ce que c'est?

>Qu'est-ce que c'est?
>Ça c'est quoi?
These are still fucked

I had the same thoughts about French but the most common way I've heard "what is this" translated directly is "What is it that this is?"

Exactly. It's not intuitive.
Also, who /french learner/ here?

Me.
I'm OP.
I learned German a few years ago and I just started French this week but I'm starting to have second-thoughts.
It just seems like a really retarded artificial version of English.

But it's really satisfying to learn it.
Learning it is the opposite of German imo. It starts easy and gets hard.

The spelling makes them seem fucked, but they really aren't. Imagine they were spelled like this:
Keskesey
Saseykwa

Yeah it's really similar to English, more so than to e.g. Spanish, it's really weird. If it wasn't so widespread in all the regions of the world I'm interested in, I'd never even consider learning it. I guess French is just something you either love or hate.

the pronunciation is fine, my problem is that they're redundant

>中出しください
beautiful.

Quê isso?

You do realize that you are comparing two Germanic languages with a Romance language, right?

Italyfag here. I speak French fluently, and believe me when I say that it's grammatically very close to Italian, probably more than Spanish. The latter SOUNDS closer to Italian because it is phonetically similar: both language have few sounds compared to English and French.

Koji je ovo kurac?

As a native Frenchman I am somewhat of a local deity. Please direct to me your requests.

Чтo этo?

Much better

It can say many things english can't, and vice versa. For example, it may have less words all in all, but it has many more nouns with unlimited nuances.
And just so you know, around 50% of english words are from French and other latin-origin languages (but due to France being the closest, they're from french deformations of latin).

>Ça, c'est quoi ?
>Redundant
It's literally "What is this ?". And there are several ways to say it without being redundant.
Maybe the people who teach you don't exactly do this the right way.

Spanish - ¿Que es esto?

"Four-to three-to?"

who is she?

Who are you ?

More like French is idiot on top of idiot

sorry I need to check

>It's literally "What is this?"

No it's literally "This, it is what?"

Inger Stevens.
She did a few Twilight Zone episodes, got blacked before it was a meme, and then killed herself.

Português - Que isso?

ما هذا؟

In Dutch we say: Wat's deze?

"Qu'est-ce ?" is the original, shortest and best way to say it.

Only one syllable, against two syllables for "what's this?" in Globish.

As a Frenchman who speaks both Italian and Spanish, I can confirm Italian is much easier to learn than any other language for us. It's so close it just feels like a sunnier, more musical version of French, while many things feel more foreign with Spanish.

>t. can't speak French

Beat me to it.

Are you not ashamed that most of your inhabitants speak only one language? Are you not ashamed when a foreigner is in your country and doesn't speak french not only can you in no way communicate with them, but you feel you shaming them for not having learnt french when you yourself generally don't even speak english? Really boggles the mind here a little.

I spent half a year in France and had 3 years of French in school and I still suck. The problem is that it's easy to not even identify where the words or phrases start in spoken language, and that sounding normal in spoken or written speech is much harder because there are so many idiosyncrasies.

t. pleb who never uses le registre soutenu

>Are you not ashamed to speak your own language in your own country?

Je ne savais pas que cette construction était juste. Merci des renseignements. Aussi, qu'est-ce que le registre soutenu?

That's not what I said. Although for someone with such bad english you got a few words right, so keep on to it snailmuncher.

I've only been learning for 10 months but you described the difficulty exactly. I'm a burger spending the summer in an immersion program in Paris for the summer and I can't hold a conversation at all. I feel like english is very clearly enunciated, it's obvious where words start and stop, but spoken french sounds like people vomit out a sentence in two blended syllables. The grammar has been drilled into my head and the vocab has enough overlap with english that written french comes very easy for me. I think the fact that french tends to lend "fancier," more flowery/formal words gives an advantage in learning to english speakers who read a shitton and have a wider vocabulary to link french roots with obscure english words, which I find interesting.
I've been here for a month and a half and haven't had any real problems where people couldn't speak english, but that's probably specific to paris. Either way I don't think it's really fair to go into somebody else's country and tell them they should be ashamed that they can't communicate with foreigners, though.

I'd say not even speaking english at a very basic level is on par with not having internet. Kind of like raised by wild animals.

I haven't interacted,with anybody so far who spoke no english. Almost all of them are significantly better at english than I am at french desu. A few young guys I've met can speak english so clearly and with such little accent that they had me convinced they were american expats, but they were native frogs. Although again, I'm assuming this would be drastically different outside of the capital.

envoye a svp reddit con

Le registre soutenu = the formal style, as opposed to the common style and familiar style. Obviously, "qu'est-ce ?" is not going to be very common in speech, but it is correct and it will be understood.

>registre familier : c'est quoi ?
>registre courant : qu'est-ce que c'est ?
>registre soutenu : qu'est-ce ?

À propos des différents registres, voir : fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registres_de_langue_en_français

>such bad *English

I'm glad dumb people like you are also this ignorant.

Of course the frenchies on an english-language board are not representative.

Both are wrong faggot.

>It starts easy and gets hard.
>tfw German is your mother tongue and all the romance grammatical excentricities are mere child's play
You don't even use cases muhahahaha

Das ist richtig Hansotto

Escreve em português, macaco do caralho.

Néanmoins il faut toujours pratiquer. No pain no gain, niggers.

>4 cases

step it up, hans, no one is impressed by your barbaric language

Many people speak only French because they don't need any other language for anything. France is a big country where you can find everything in French, so the need for English in a normal daily life is infinitesimal.

Also, many people do speak English but will pretend they don't (including me), for various reasons.

>I feel like english is very clearly enunciated, it's obvious where words start and stop

Not really tbqh, and your accents don't help either. It's often much easier to understand an Indian or a Russian speaking broken English than a native speaker, just because of the native speaker's accent.

>protip: watch French movies with subtitles if you want to get better, the only difficult thing is that you have to endure the movies themselves

Não trates assim o macaco, ao menos está a tentar falar uma língua de gente em vez de francês ou alemão.

>but will pretend they don't (including moi) for various reasons

any valid one besides being a cunt?

OFFICIAL LIVING LANGUAGE POWER RANKING:

1. Portuguese
2. English
3. Spanish (Portuguese's retarded brother)
4. Romanian
5. Italian
6. French
7. Some bumfuck Irish dialect

shit. German

french cinema is great you pleb

co to jest?

Choose any of these reasons:

>speaking English is reminiscent of unpleasant school tests, and we're terrified that we're going to be ridiculous with our poor accent
>Anglos come across as extremely rude by interrupting us in English directly, like we're in some kind of American colony where everyone has to understand English
>we didn't even understand what you said because we were not prepared to hear English anyway
>we're busy and have things to do, for real
>we're already being bothered 12 times per day by Gypsies who want to swindle us in the street, so we just ignore everything unusual on our way

Stuff like this.

Fitting for a true frenchman, all bullshit reasons for being an asshole. Like some rapper that doesn't need a reason to act shitty, it's just him expressing his personality. No wonder your country is going down, down.

>the only difficult thing is that you have to endure the movies themselves

What's it with people always hating their own countries movies but loving non-english movies from other countries

You underestimate what I said, these are serious concerns.

For example, the last time I helped an American woman in the street, I completely ignored her at first, because I thought she was just going to be the third or fourth Gypsy beggar on my way (and life is too short to waste it by interacting with a Gypsy, even one or two seconds). Then, when she insisted by asking her question in broken French with an unmistakable American accent, I performed an instant 180° and helped her in English--not because she spoke French to me, but because I identified her as a non-Gypsy, non-begging, non-malevolent person.

Maybe we saw too many of our bad movies, while foreigners only see the few good ones we produce.

>while foreigners only see the few good ones we produce.
Seems plausible

>comparing barbaric Germanic languages with patrician Latin languages

How could somebody post an anime picture and still act superior?

german is my first language, and i obviously learned english. i enjoyed french because with the english and german vocabulary, a lot of the french words are already clear. the grammar is very simple and it's really convenient that you know exactly how to pronounce everything when reading a text

English - What's this?
German - Was ist das?
French - Qu'est-ce que c'est que ça?
Juǀ'hoan dialect -- Tlok dlik clok cok tikky tikky dik tok hok tik dik rik trik trikk trikk kik blik?

>1. Italian
>2. German
>3. Portuguese
>4. Romanian
>5. Spanish (Italian's retarded cousin)
>6. French
>7. Some bumfuck Irish dialect
>
>shit. English

ftfy

Meme board culture.
Not all animeniggas are bad, though. There is a cool one for every other 50 stultified weebs.

meme opinion, you fucking weeb

Monoglot detected. Especially the first of these two almost takes as few mouth movements as "What is this?"

Kest-ke-say