What was Vonnegut's best book and why?

What was Vonnegut's best book and why?

Either Catch-22, Slaughterhaus-5, or The Crying of Slot 47

Player piano because it deals with universal basic income

Player Piano. For a 65 year old book it still resonates strongly today.

Breakfast of Champions or Slaughterhouse-5, of course.

sirens of titan. it was pretty funny that's why

Keep this in the sci-fi thread thank u

Eat my asshole, faggot

Tough to say. Player piano is very good, breakfast of champions is very good, slaughter house 5 is probably his most renowned work.

Mother night is excellent but very different from the rest of his writing. My personal favorite is cat's cradle.

cat's cradle is excellent. ice 9 is such a great idea

It's so great because the idea isn't unbelievable.
And the world getting destroyed by someone's good idea gone bad isn't unbelievable either.

I last read Cat's Cradle several years ago, I really want to find my copy and revisit it.

>Mother Night
>Cat's Cradle
Vonnegut wrote a lot of great books. I forgot how consistent this motherfucker was.
I had a professor in college who lived in Northampton, MA as a kid when Vonnegut was living there. She said she used to see him riding around town drunk on his bicycle once in a while. It seems like something the guy who wrote all those books would do.
>ywn give Vonnegut a Pall-Mall
Found the sociopath.

Vonnegut seems like he was the crazy cool grandpa that you loved to visit because he let you eat candy and never told you when to go to bed.

Yeah, as a literary device it's very effective. As a kid I heavily obsessed around the concepts surrounding bokonon and it lead me to question a lot of organized religion, making me somwhat of an angry nihilist teen. It took a long time for me to circle back and really understand why Vonnegut puts so much emphasis on being able to laugh things off. It's a crazy world we live in, and if you don't have at least a small sense of humor about how rediculous things are then you're going to lose it...sooner or later.

Perhaps I should rephrase that as narrative device - I'm pretty drunk right now.

Bluebeard

Reddit: the author

>anything I don't like is Reddit

Vonnegut was the guy who got me into reading real books, I devoured almost everything he ever published. I think his style lends itself a bit better to short stories than to full-length novels. I'd say Sirens of Titan is my favorite though.

Very underrated book, this one and Rabo's cameo in Breakfast of Champions give a really interesting perspective on the abstract and art in general

>Vonnegut was the guy who got me into reading real books
Same.

I picked up Slaughter House 5 because I saw it on so many reading lists so I decided to check it out and absolutely loved it and wanted to read all his works after. Went on to read Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan, Mother Night, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater and I have Bluebeard to read when I get around to it.

Vonnegut made reading fun to me. Even if he's simple or babby's first or whatever, he'll always be one of my biggest influences.