What edition of Moby Dick does Veeky Forums prefer?

What edition of Moby Dick does Veeky Forums prefer?

Leather bound gold trim
Cost 30$
Still haven't read

This post is the fucking epitome of Veeky Forums. It should be made into a fucking banner.

This one. The harsh orange spines and creamy covers of the old Penguin English Library editions take me back to when I was a kid picking them up for 25ยข at the library sale bin. It's also edited by Harold Beaver, and the same could be said of him as of the poor sub-sub: pocket-sized this may be, but of the 1015 pages of print 680 are taken up by the actual novel, and the rest are filled with every kind of encyclopedic, historical, contextual, hypothetical, fanciful and critical commentary to fill out 335 pages of tight-knit endnotes, making its shape closer to a Polaroid camera than a travel-friendly companion.

Other than that, anything edited by Hershel "Mr Melville" Parker or with the Northwestern Newberry seal of approval cannot steer you wrong. I really like the cover of the Library of America solo edition.

are footnotes absolutely necessary for Moby-Dick?

no, in fact I would say they are detrimental to the experience

This is literally an older version of the Norton edition, and the Norton edition is printed acid free and won't fall apart in 10 years or even 100.

Why even mention it if OP image supplants it?

nobel lecture edition

Better question, who did the best illustrations?
I vote Rockwell Kent

Whats the best translation of Moby Dick

Please tell me yaou aren't even trying

Because he asked which we preferred, so it's a personal matter. The Norton is undeniably better quality, and the critical apparatus is a lot more efficient, but the Penguin shows me the passion and care that went into editing and annotating the beast; and that, far from their current bare bones approach to the classics, these mass market paperbacks used to be labors of scholarly love.

Pic related is the LoA solo paperback.

In what way?

Seconded.

I have this version, it's good if you rip out all the stuff written by the cuck editors and cross-out the footnotes.

>footnote explaining who Noah is.

Is it fine to read the everyman editions which has no notes if I haven't read all of the bible or shakes?

That one.

>haven't read all of the bible or shakes?
I bet you didn't start with the greeks either, fucking pleb.

T H I S
H
I
S

its not the same. look online and the consensus is that the beaver penguin version is the best.

i think theyre interesting but unnecessary

>>footnote explaining who Noah is.
wew
Are the critical essay at least interesting?

Cheap, portable, and with decent critical essays. The notion that it would fall apart is preposterous. I've had mine for 6 years, read it 7 or 8 times and taken it to 4 different countries. If it ever did fall apart, I could buy an identical copy anywhere for less than a dollar.

No, full of fart-whiffing.

I'll put it to you this way the editor included 3 of his own "critical essays."

1949 Washington Square Press abridged version.

This right here
Anything else is only pretending

The only correct answer.

I've got this one
I'd binding isn't great but everything else is good (there are footnotes written by Ishmael every few chapters, right?)

Forgot pic

The one that is read

Fellow lurkers, would you trust the judgment of an idiot who can't even remember to post a pic along with his message?

What are you on about?

hardcover or paperback

Bought this new for like 8 usd and thought it read great.

is the UCpress edition the exact same thing as the original arion press or didi they have to compress it?

overpriced bs
norton is always good, but user this book is in english so it doesn't really matter. every version should have the same text

>every version should have the same text because it's English

What?

That's my favorite edition.

Good edition

What do I buy???
Are footnotes good or bad???

makes me rock hard every time

>page quality, dust cover, cover art all 10/10

Just got the Macmillian Collector's Library hardcover. How did I do?