Oxford world classics vs Penguin classics?

Oxford world classics vs Penguin classics?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliothèque_de_la_Pléiade#Books
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oxford is clearly better.

But there are select few cases, like the Epic of Gilgamesh, where Penguin straight up has the definitive version in the English language

Oxford for sure. Nicer paper, sturdier covers and better print.

t. owner of a bunch of Penguins

I like Oxfords better generally, though occasionally Penguin has better translations on offer. Oxford volumes are also usually a bit cheaper, despite being printed on better paper, which is nice. They also look nicer on a shelf, though that's not something I really take in to consideration making a purchase.

Usually I just get whatever is available and cheaper. I find penguins tend to be better stocked, so I end up with more Penguins than Oxfords despire having a preference the other way around.

Italianfag here, glad to see my boy Pirandello on that shelf.

You all are little babies. Pléiades is clearly the superiorest choice.

this is gaudy af

looks like new money

The binding itself is more than half the production cost. These books use bible paper so they're extremely heavy and compact.

Few books come with a 100 years warranty.

For more information, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliothèque_de_la_Pléiade#Books

>buys the entire collection
>doesn't read any of them

You're comparing expensive nice volumes designed to last and look good on a shelf to volumes that exist with the primary goal of being inexpensive. It doesn't make sense.

Nobody is buying an OWC or Penguin book for quality.

These works are actually comprehensive. They typically form the entirety of an author's work. Sometimes, only those prestigious tomes are complete enough for a serious person. For instance, most of Foucault's work is unpublished outside of the Pléiade. These are expensive volumes meant to be actually used, that's why they're extraordinarily sturdy.

That's clearly a bookstore or something user, are you retarded? Half of the books there have 4 - 6 copies directly beside one another.

Yes user, I know. I'm saying that they don't belong in the context of the discussion in this thread.

Oxford, no context, although Penguin tends to have the better translations.

That said, nothing can beat Harper Collins, nice, sturdy, visually appealing paperbacks of classics and even less expensive than Wordsworth.

>>Oxford, no context,
Good translations are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world anyway, user.

Well idk. It's all about math. If you plan to thoroughly study someone, it might be actually cheaper to dump a lot of money in a single high quality tome with everything in it rather than buying a shitload of crappy editions. In France, books are super expensive too so a single expensive book (idk, 250e?) is wayyy cheaper than a bunch of crappy editions you could find anywhere else.

desu most of my penguin and oxford books are of english books, i have old paperbacks of most classics

I like to annotate things that I'm studying, and I feel like I would have a hard time doing that for a volume I've spent an absurd amount of money on. Cheap paperbacks are perfect for this, and you can get new penguin/owc volumes for like $10 or less new here.

And just to clarify, I'm not saying that these volumes shouldn't exist or anything like that. I'm just saying that it's weird to post about them in a thread that is talking about the relative merits between two publishers of inexpensive paperbacks.

Does anyone know the name of the publisher that makes extremely expensive leather bound books? If memory serves their website was very bare-bones, most of their books were $1000+, they had a Bible that was ~$7000 or maybe more. Oh and on topic, usually go for oxfords.

You can achieve this by simply going on libgen and downloading all their works their for fre. The only thing you miss out on is a book shelf so pretentious you keep trying to shill it on this thread.

Penguin got that softer feel which I like, not quite as soft and marvelous as Vintage but still a pretty nice feel.

Overall I like Oxford more though

Easton press

>It's another poorfrag lashes out at people who can afford nice editions of books episode
Really getting tired of this one. People being able to afford quality editions does not make them pretentious. Are there pretentious people that buy quality editions? Sure, but whether or not it's pretentious is in the intention. I buy leatherbound books because I like the quality of them, not because I want to show off to a bunch of people. You'll be hardpressed to find archive quality paper anywhere else.

Oxford but I'm not a Rockefeller so I have more Penguins.

Penguin puts together some nice anthologies I like desu but Oxford also puts out minor works and stuff like correspondence

The Oxford Qur'an is such a shill book...
Reading along side different translation.

IDK why i'd trust Oxford.

Oxford's Quran is shill trash. Attempting to tame the text.

I own that copy. What translation would you recommend?

Abdullah Yusuf Ali

>6 copies of domestic manners of the americans

where were your manners when you started picking and choosing what laws to abide? its plain criminal to have more than 2 copies of a book.

The recent Pléiades have dubious quality control, the binding and the plastic wrapper can be really bad in 1/3 of cases. And then you can't exchange them because the store doesn't take back opened Pléiades. That's unacceptable considering the very high price.

You've never seen or held one, you literally don't know what you're talking about, so your opinion is invalid.

Sounds like the type of thing middle class people buy because they think it's what rich and fancy people would want to own

The type of person to own a very expensive kitchen knife

>oh I assure you, I bought the GOOD stuff

Anything with N.C. Wyeth gracing its cover outta be good.

Isn't this a picture of a bookstore?

Norton Critical is the only answer, famalam.

why are books expensive in france? to keep people illiterate and watching eurovision contests?

Everyman's Library for the perfect mix of quality & price.

Dis

There's a special tax on books that goes towards the construction of new mosques.

Bookstores are generally overpriced in Europe compared to America, plus the sales tax tends to be higher. Cheaper to get things on amazon.fr

I bought the Eclogues under Oxford and it was without a doubt the worst translation I had ever read. I don't understand Latin obviously, but some parts were so vague that I went to the Latin text to make better sense of what I was reading. The Latin made more sense than the English guys, this is a bad sign of a translator.

How well should I trust Oxford translations after this?

But there are select few cases, like the Epic of Gilgamesh, where Penguin straight up has the definitive version in the English language.

user can be your bf?

Americans don't read so, they need encouragement.

Penguins are pretty frail, their modern classics series is much better but won't be annotated, I think because of copyrights, and in general I'd say Oxford's annotation/commentary is superior. In a case like Shakespeare where Penguin might suffice I'd also still look somewhere else even if I'd have to pay more, like Arden's Shakespeare.
I will say that the font in the OWC Ulysses is too damn small, though, and Penguin has cheap, convenient Greeks.

Oxford is clearly better

But there are select few cases, like the Epic of Gilgamesh, where Penguin straight up has the definitive version in the English language

Oxford is clearly better

But there are select few cases, like the Epic of Gilgamesh, where Penguin straight up has the definitive version in the English language.

But there are select few cases , like the Epic of Gilgamesh, where Penguin straight up has the definitive version in the English language

>Penguin

It is what rich people do own in France, though. Nothing more common than seeing dozens of Pléiades in the library of someone rich. Not because it's "fancy", but because it's actually good, practical, durable, understated, and classic.

But once again, you don't know what you're talking about, and I do.

>in France

It's a French collection, duh.

Norton Critical Edition

>Oxford but I'm not a Rockefeller so I have more Penguins.
Where do you live that Penguins are cheaper than Oxfords? OWC books tend to be like 30% cheaper than Penguins here.