What does Veeky Forums think of boeuf bourguignon?

What does Veeky Forums think of boeuf bourguignon?

I want to make the comfiest thing possible for cold November evening for a group

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KAfC7XAHN14
youtu.be/Oje7vtynhPc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It’s a great dish and fun to make.

Braising is pleasurable because you get to do nearly all the cleanup while it cooks.

What is important to note as you develop as a home cook is that the mirepoix (finely chopped aromatic veggies like carrot/onion/celery) is not particularly meant to be part of the main dish at the end and that is because they will be over cooked and mushy by the time the meat is finished. They are really just meant to bring flavor to the braising liquid, which is be thickened into a sauce. That is why you should introduce the real veggies you plan to eat into the pot with the meat about 20 or so minutes before the cooking time is over.

Like your photo it’s usually stuff like mushrooms, pearl onions, carrots, etc.

Anyways best of luck and beef bourguignon is a crowd pleaser and hard to fuck up.

Yep on the veg. It's a happy accident that if you're using modern cookware, you can easily puree the original batch and add it back in to thicken the stew closer to what it would have been like done in a dutch oven rather than a pressure cooker, but you definitely need a second set to go in 15-30 before serving.

yeah sounds good. I think maybe will maybe make my aromatic veggies bigger and tie them together so i can fish those out and toss them away, and add the vegetables to be eaten closer to 30 minutes until the end

is it possible to 'overcook' the meat?

recipes seem to go from 7 hours on low to 90minutes on low : S

i've seen 3 hours at 300 before also. no idea.

Ditto on pureeing the original installment of veggies to thicken the liquid. I like to saute up a second batch of mirepoix and then add it to the stew just a few minutes before serving time.

If you go too high too long you can end up with meat that's yielded everything its got into the liquid and is basically just a bunch of haystacks that stick in your teeth. If you go really low for a long time on the other hand, you can get pieces of meat that are easily shredded with a fork but manage to maintain their shape pretty well and may even still be a little bit red on the inside.

youtube.com/watch?v=KAfC7XAHN14

Pretty comfy, French myself so every winter I make bourguignons but I prefer a good daube provençale myself since you marinate the meat in the red wine overnight before searing it.

youtu.be/Oje7vtynhPc

I've been wanting to make cookinginrussia's bourguignon forever

Frenchfag here, I've made one a few weeks ago taking pics. I'll dump em.

had it only once, homemade, and it was a real treat.

I cook that fairly often because it's easy and delicious.
Don't think I ever had it with pasta, though. Is that traditional?

1/13
Dice some meat, chop onions, carrots and potatoes

Nah it's usually eaten without sides

2/13
Pour the wine into a large bowl. Add the meat and veggies, let it soak for a few hours.

3/13
Remove the meat, strain it. You can also take out the veggies in another container

4/13
Sear the lardons (bacon for you anglos)

5/13
Add the meat, high heat. Brown it quick on all sides

6/13
Eventually the mixture of juices and wine will come out a bit. Enjoy the heavenly smell.

7/13
Add one harshly cut onion. Time to add a bit of flour and mix it. Lower the heat.

8/13
Flour begins to mix well, keep stirring.

9/13
Time to add the strained carrots, potatoes and onions. Mix it a bit once again

10/13
Pour the wine in, add on bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. If the wine isn't covering it all, you can add stock.

11/13
Put it on low heat, cover it, and let it simmer for at least one hour and a half, the more the better.
Here is what it looks like near the end.

Also enjoy the smell in your kitchen

his version looks really ambitious and delicious but holy shit what a wasteful way of peeling potatoes

Enjoy
12/13 was posted here

Thank you, Frenchfag! I will try this sometime

saving, thanks froggo :3

You're welcome guise.
It was only my second time making it, so it's probably far from perfect.

Also, I've used cheap wine, I don't think it's worth using anything fancy but I might be wrong.

as long as there's liquid it can't overcook, it only gets softer and softer over time.

pasta is not traditional in French cuisine, ever. But pasta goes with any sauce so it's not suprising.

Oh also I forgot, you need to soak quite a good amount of garlic with the carrots, potatoes and all.

im gonna make mine tomorrow. i wont have any potatoes in mine but ill serve it with home made mashed potatoes

Don't forget to report back user

will do, its my first attempt!

Thanks. Yeah, I don't suppose pasta would be terrible with it. I usually just have some homebaked baguette on the side or maybe a little lump of mashed potatoes, most if I bought to many potatoes and I need to get rid of them.

I tend to end up with less liquid in my bourguignon than what I see in most pics here so a little bread on side feels appropriate.

You'll need A LOT of bread tbqh. Also everytime I've had Bourguignon, there was no side dish per se, only a variety of vegetables like fennel or turnip, only cooked on a pan pretty quick.
I'm not sure about puréed potatoes, never seen it and it would be pretty heavy.

it's inspiring. i'm gonna make it now because of that picture. maybe this weekend. that looks awesome.

thanks for posting will try to do similar

this would look really cut with some green chopped chives or parsley on top

My French is basically non-existent. Did he say that he cooks the potatoes with tumeric to add a bit of color? I've never heard of that, might try it.

i think you misspelled beef

Top notch autumn belly filler. Right up there with chicken paprikash and butternut squash soup.

Yeah that's what he said, bit of curcuma for colour
Agreed but heh, it's Michel

Goddamn, I am so much in the mood to cook this right now what with the wind and the rain starting up outside.
But I'm visiting my mother all week and she'd probably complain it's too spicy and just make a frozen pizza. She's a nice lady but she's no gourmet.