Starting with philosophy

4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Philosophy
Are the recommendations made in this article good ones?
Should I just jump into the pre-socratics starting with Heraclitus, or should I read a book summarizing western thought first, such as Bryan Magee's?
Also, are the Histories, Iliad, and Odyssey required? I've read the Odyssey, and the Iliad. Are they only recommended to give you an understanding of mythology, history etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who is this stinky pinky?

I dunno, but I'm willing to post more in exchange for some advice. I've read too much fiction without a concrete understanding of the ideas espoused by it. Give me knowledge now.

Durant's history of philosophy if you want an overview before settling on something. You can also just get Sophie's World and read only the Arial text, if you want a quicker overview before starting with the Greeks.
Homer's there to understand some references, and not really necessary. The Pre-Socratics come up more in Plato.

Nothing is required. There are people who started straight with Hegel or Descartes and are doing just fine. Pick up whatever interests you, search for their glossaries in the Google to help you along the way.

Try this desu: docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic

Pick up the Plato pal.
You don't need to spend much time on the pre-socratics, they're only really historical background to the socratics. Read some Plato and see if you'd like more backstory.
Read Plato.

tarnasposting

This is all shit.

Even worse advice. Likely from an "autodidact"

>meme arrows

free yourself from this mortal coil

OP here.
Starting with Durant's Story of Philosophy for a quick overview.
Nah, I want as much comprehension as possible. I'm a NEET with all the time in the world atm.

>You don't need to spend much time on the pre-socratics, they're only really historical background to the socratics

Confirmed for being an idiot

this book is great so far, should I read the sections toward the end on contemporary european and american philosophers? I've not got too great an interest in them.

Durant is shit, you're doomed to failure.

the fuck am I supposed to read then?

I can't read Durant and Plato?
Fuck your bullshit nigga

All philosophical investigations must begin and end with Being and Time.

So no input from you?

lol you can read The Hardy Boys and Plato if you want, just know that only one of them will teach you anything.

I like the way this organizes it. I'm going through it, but not entirely in order since I'd already been in a intro philo class that glossed over most of this. It's a good time deep into Nietzsche.

"glossed over"

Chopper, sic BALLS

Kierkegaard started straight up with Hegel and did just fine. Descartes and Hume are so self-contained and clear that they can be read easily on their own.

Ai Shinozaki

I thought Russell's "A History of Western Philosophy" was a good overview. Tbh, I skipped over the Middle Ages, though. It seemed like a lot of arguing over whether Jesus had chicken or beef at the last supper and other such inanities.

So after Durant should I start with this?

>Heraclitus and Parmenides after Plato and Aristotle
>No Hesiod or Eurypides.
>Aeschylus after Everyone else.
>No Herodotus or Tucydides.

It's fucking shit.

bump