CHEAP GOOD WINE

What are some cheap but good tasting wines? Under $10-$15. Any wine experts here?

Other urls found in this thread:

convivewines.com/mocali-mocali-2013-rosso-di-montalcino-375ml.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i liked this stuff, it was $11

Almost all Cotes du Rhones, Chinons, Muscadets, some lower end Alsace wines, Mt. Etna wines, Douros, Cahors, Bierzos, Ruedas, Rias Baixas... basically just stay away from the Burgundies, Bordeaux, Barolos, etc, and you have a lot of good options

Basically nothing outside of Europe is going to be drinkable at that price point. If you want wine that isn't nasty from America be prepared to cough up $30 or more, inexpensive American wine is nasty shit

yellowtail is pretty cheap and extremely drinkable. it's an aussie wine

Yellowtail is vile

Anything by Some Young Punks. £15-20 a bottle in the UK, so you guys should get them a lot cheaper

Anything by 19 Crimes is good, around ~$11 a bottle, but The Banished is one of the tastiest most drinkable wines I've ever had.

>basically just stay away from the Burgundies, Bordeaux, Barolos, etc, and you have a lot of good options

Can you elaborate why? Because you have to pay more to get good wine from those regions?

I've been going for French anytime I want a red wine, and have had mostly decent results without discriminating regions too much. More so with bottles that are closer to $20 than $10, but to be expected.

Yellowtail is horrible.

I'm not the person you're replying to, but I think the caution has to do with price. Wines from those regions are very famous and thus tend to sell for a high price. A wine from a famous region with that low of a price suggests that it's unusually bad.

It's like saying beware of a Ferrari with a $5,000 price tag on it. The price doesn't match the prestige, so that clues you into the fact that something is up.

Trader Joe's 2 buck chuck, chardonnay or shiraz.

Normally I ignore wines with flashy labels but there was a guy giving out free samples at the store and that dark red blend was really good

That's how I discovered it too. It really is a great winery.

CARLO ROSSI PAISANO

Anything by Coppola is pretty safe imo.

For me, it's Big Cock wine so the ladies know what's up. ~$10 for a 1.5L bottle.

This is what the label looks like. All their reds are good, I've only had a few of their whites, but i've enjoyed them all as well.

Forgot pic.

stave and steel is a delicious bourbon barrel aged cab for $20 MSRP

$15 on sale and when it is I like to buy like 3-6 bottles

black box

>bourbon barrel aged cab
sounds terrible to bourbon barrel age wine, but I've never had any of that.

(you)

convivewines.com/mocali-mocali-2013-rosso-di-montalcino-375ml.html
this shit right here my friend

>all this grocery store wine
Pleb taste. I rummage through the clearance shelf at my local wine shop, it's mostly crap but if you're observant you can find good stuff that the store can't sell at full retail because someone in the back was too aggressive with a box cutter or something broke during shipping.

I picked up a bottle of pic related for $16 last weekend because the label was gashed.

I feel sorry for people who don't care about what they drink.

Costco has some decent kirkland brand wines. I like the Marlborough sauvignon blanc, it's a steal at $7.99

was the bourbon from those barrels aged in wine barrels?

>I picked up a bottle of pic related for $16
Why don't you spend more on better wine? Don't you care what you drink?

i thought this was a meme wine

this is drinkable, definitely cheap, like $20 for 4 bottles of wine. i go through this wine much faster than other wine though.

This is $4 at the Italian market near me and it's honestly pretty great.

i bought $3 wine from aldis and it tastes like shit. it tastes alright when mixed with some soda tho.

that's what Oscar Wilde was drinking when he was arrested for being a huge faggot.

>OP wine

I found it to be alright

$9 CAD

quads speak

less than 10, pretty good for the three vintages I've tried

J.Hlor Cab Sav is going to smelt your mind

mcguigan black label red

I went to the hunter valley tasting expensive wines etc but this is the only shit I can really drink when it comes to wine.

also they're 6 - 8 dollars which is great

European supermarkets sometimes sell really good wine in tiny 0.2litre bottles at 5 Euros or so. I like those. You cannot really enjoy a larger quantity anyway so why buy more?

(Pic unrelated)

I dunno about the price range there, but the reds from Umbria/Montefalco area have been great

$10 in Canada, very good

grocery had bottles of big cock on clearance for $2.
tasty for the price but doesn't mix as well with vodka as franzia "chillable red" does

I tried one of these because my girlfriend kept twlling me to get it and it had no body. The cabernet sauv felt like a pinot noir

>varietal character
>critter wine
Pick one
>but it’s got a macho manly name it’s not critter wine
It’s critter wine

I find this to be a solid 11 dollar wine, I usually keep some around for cooking and drinking.

Avoid anything from Australia. Horrible.

Lopez de Haro Rioja, 2009 vintage

Why would you want to mix wine with vodka? I've had success making sangria with their free-range red though.

Just picked up two cases of this for $200 total.

This stuff taste like strawberries.

Rex goliath cab sav is really good and only 10$ I also really enjoy Costco cab sav its only 8$ and you get a double bottle

Rex goliath cab sav is only $5.99 on sale at my local store, gonna get some and try it out, hard to go wrong there

So can someone explain to a pleb what merlot, pinot, cabinet, rose and all the other shits mean? And what should I look for in a wine?

Aren't you generally going to get the best value for local wines? Particular kinds of grapes grow best in particular regions so knowing what types of wine are generally good from different regions is a good starting point. Anything foreign is going to be more expensive for comparable quality simply because of shipping costs and the prestige associated with particular brands or areas.

What has the best cost per quality depends almost entirely on where you live. If you really want to get the best value, look at local stuff and use things like wine spectator to check ratings and then decide on the best price to rating ratio for yourself. Obviously Europe has the best cost per quality for wine but there is good wine in the US too. The only issue is that if you prefer particular types of wine, there may not be a local area that can produce a quality version of those types of wine due to the climate those grapes grow best in.

I don't drink a ton of wine because I've been pretty broke and I was a bit of an alcoholic the past few years. Wine is too expensive to sustain alcoholism, not to mention is terrible for hangovers compared to something like vodka. Plus, I have standards (ignoring the year of bottom shelf vodka, sometimes we have to make sacrifices to continue to do the things we love). If I'm going to actually drink wine, it's going to be at least decent wine.

Tl;dr: Basically just check the ratings of different types of wine and get whatever has the best rating to price ratio, which is generally local.

Lindeman's all day erry day

I got drunk and shit my pants after a 1.5 liter bottle of this and a 12 pack of coors. It stained them permanently and I had to throw them away.

I've plenty of wine with high rating numbers that was pretty crap, not sure how reliable those ratings are.

Also local wines in Washington seem pretty pricey compared to other wines on the shelf

It's not a be all end all for finding good wine. The rating is a good starting point for you to figure out what you like in particular and which wineries you find reliable. I imagine that the reason some consider well rated wine to be bad is just a matter of preference. Or perhaps production inconsistencies or even just the pairing. I know for Washington wine, there are a lot of wineries that suffer from the same prestige price hike but I'm not sure how widespread that is. I haven't really looked around recently since I don't really drink now. I do live in Washington though so I ought to check that out. I'd guess there are still some more reasonably priced Washington brands, unless the high price has something to do with some sort of shitty legislation.

I'm dealing with mostly theory here though so grain of salt. I've talked to several people that collect wine, especially about how to get into it, so I stand by my initial advice at least.