Pic not related

Pic not related.

I want a hotplate, it looks like most of the best reviewed ones on amazon are induction based.

I've never used one of these types of stoves or anything, is it much more of a pain in the ass than just having an electric coil?

Other urls found in this thread:

ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/00331627/
amazon.com/gp/product/B009MIM1M6/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is that a hotplate table tennis set?
kickstarter was a mistake.

I have an electrical stove, not induction. It's pretty shit. It takes a long time to heat up and once it's heat up it takes a long fucking time for it to cool down. So you can't fry an egg quickly in the morning and you can't just simply turn down the stove if it's too hot.

I have no experience with induction but I'm pretty sure it can't be shittier than electric.

Induction is a lot closer to gas performance wise. Quick temperature changes, fairly high power if they're good models. They're also super easy to clean because the actual stove itself doesn't get hot. Not as good as gas IMO but a hell of a lot better than a standard electric stove, with the caveat that your cookware has to be iron or steel- cookware that can't interact with the stove's magnetic field won't get hot.

Induction is pretty much superior to electric coil in every way imaginable with none of the downsides.

The only concern is if your preexisting cookware will work on it or not. To test just stick a magnet to the bottom of your pot/pan. If it doesnt stick it wont work with induction.

I have an IKEA induction based hotplate. I live in a dorm type condo where the kitchen between 12 single person studios/rooms, so I use the hotplate when I want to cook something fast and easy and avoid going to the share kitchen.

It works ok, though you need a proper pan to work with induction. Though I hate that if I lift the pan when it's on (for example to serve), the hotplate stats beeping and complaining that there is no pan.

Still, it saves me a lot of time and stress and was a good buy for about 40 euros.

Induction is great for boiling water, that's about it.

Nice logic ya got there. A pan that is 380 degrees from fire and a pan that is 380 degrees from magnets are both going to cook your steak the same way.

>induction

Fuck that shit. My experience convinced me that non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation is indeed harmful to humans. Holy shit what a terrible idea.

this one?`ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/00331627/

> I live in a dorm type condo where the kitchen between 12 single person studios/rooms

sounds exactly like my old place

In that case the radio towers will kill you anyway

>my experience

What experience? What convinced you of that?

looks pretty simple, if it was a real pain in the ass no one would probably buy them.

How much weight will these hold? Will it hold a 12qt pot full of chicken parts and water? I'm thinking of using an induction 5th burner for stock making. Set it to 189F and walk away. Should be easy.
Would also want it to confit duck legs.

I used this induction cooktop while I lived in a studio with a kitchenette.

amazon.com/gp/product/B009MIM1M6/

It did everything I needed, and I could do anything on it but deep fry with a large pot of oil (it just couldn't hold the high heat).

Everything else, including pan frying and searing, worked fantastically. Heat control was good. I used a full set of stainless pots/pans and a cast-iron pan on it.

Also it's incredibly safe, which is good for tight cooking spaces.

They'll hold plenty of weight. But it will take fucking forever to heat up a pot of that size. And kind of "plug into a normal wall outlet" tool will.

>>Set it to 189F and walk away
What's the point? It can only read/measure the temperature of the hotplate itself, not the food. Temp setting is useless.

>not the food. Temp setting is useless.
No, I could measure the temp of the food, Thanks thermopen! and write down the current hotplate setting that got my food to that temp.

See, confit/stock making you don't have keep adjusting the heat as long as it's between 190F - 200F, plus it's electric so there is no flame to contend with. Right now I a have to do it in an oven (which cycles anyway) but my oven only goes down to 200F

>Set it to 189F and walk away.
induction cooktops are not sous vide devices user. You can set the temperature in 20 degree steps at best, and ever single one of them will be wrong.

I'm note expecting to be. Christ. Its like you've never cooked stock or confit.

>No, I could measure the temp of the food, Thanks thermopen! and write down the current hotplate setting that got my food to that temp.
What good would that do you? The difference between the two will depend on what kind of pot you use, how full the pot is, and what the ambinent temperature is like. It won't be repeatable unless you bother do you your little calibration exercise for all manner of different pot-fullnesses and different ambient temps.

>>See, confit/stock making you don't have keep adjusting the heat as long as it's between 190F - 200F
Yeah, I get that. I just can't get my head around how you think a hotplate's internal temp setting has anything to do with the temp inside the cooking vessel.

A crock pot makes a lot more sense. Or, get a device that accepts a remote probe you can stick into the food (like a lab-type hot plate). Or just do it on a pressure cooker and be done with it.

>You can set the temperature in 20 degree steps at best, and ever single one of them will be wrong.
This.

Moved into this apartment here. This place is ridiculously nice for what I pay but one flaw. That being electric range. I fixed the problem by buying an induction hot plate and just using that instead. Problem solved.

I tried boiling potatoes with the 100°C setting once. Water boils at 100°, no? So one would think the cooktop would heat up the water right to the boiling point, then keep it at the perfect simmer, right? What in fact happens is that your water boils before ever reaching 100°C unless you live right at or below sea level and the cooktop will keep heating at full power, turning your potato pot into a steam volcano and your kitchen into a sauna, wasting enormous amouunts of energy in the proceess. The rest of the temperature settings work equally shittily. The only exception is the 60°C setting, its ideal for heating up sausages or keeping soup or Glühwein at the perfect temperature.

by definition, it wont.
ionizing means that the radiation is strong enough to strip electrons off atoms and generally fuck shit up. this is what causes genetic damage and gives you tumors.
nonionizing isn't strong enough to do this, and certainly can't affect you. it's just a bunch of baseless paranoia.

Why the fuck do you keep posting this trash?

You should edit your post or start again, there is all kinds of retardation in the post.

The moment I first tried a 1800W portable one (medium setting with my hand on the pan handle for a few seconds) (they're all more or less the same chink shit inside with different exteriors) I felt dizzy, nauseous, disoriented, lightheaded, irritable, head pressure through my eye sockets, cognitive impairment, etc. I didn't bother thinking up a reason why that happened. That all happened within the first minute. Over the course of about 3 days tried it at the lower settings a few times and once more at medium-high setting but with my hands kept off and the above symptoms were there but far milder, or at least it seemed. But also my nose was bleeding for no plainly visible reason. Why the fuck? Then I suddenly remembered that I removed induction cooking from my shopping list so long ago because it's fucking in-your-face high-powered electromagnetic radiation. Then I found out that nosebleed is a common symptom of people with electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS).

>if it doesn't strip electrons then it can't affect you
Ah the obligatory standard response. Every fucking time. You can't find any mention of EHS in a free discussion online without that!
>emr affects relatively simple objects but can't possibly affect the extremely complex electric human organism which we are still trying to understand
I hope you are just parroting with good intention and not a shill.

Don't buy any flat futuristic looking amazon trash that will burn out over the span of a couple months. Buy a big bulky electric coil if you want real heat.

>Then I found out that nosebleed is a common symptom of people with electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS).
EHS is a made-up """disease""" for hypochondriacs and doesn't actually exist.
Stop being a faggot.

imagine being such a wound up nutcase that you write a 200 word post about a make-believe condition

i'd laugh if it wasnt so pathetic

lol, is this like the wifi sensitivity thing?
Did Chuck from better call saul kill himself after he found out his "illness" was just a psychiatric thing.

Don't ever get an MRI you paranoid nut case.