Prose is the ultimate pseud magnet, the most middlebrow, mediocre form of art...

Prose is the ultimate pseud magnet, the most middlebrow, mediocre form of art. There is a reason why the best prose writers have been failed poets. Prose writers neither have the aesthetic/artistic refinement of a poet, nor the intellect of a philosopher, so they confine themselves to the easiest, most accessible form of art. Poets can easily transition to become amazing prose writers, usually creating better works than most prose writers. But have you ever seen a prose writer easily transition to becoming a poet? It's almost like comparing a theoretical physicist (poet) to an engineer (prose writer). Poets simply have a better aesthetic feel, a better grasp of language. And have you ever read a book that gave you the same intense emotional response as did a symphony of Beethoven's? The same feeling of artistic depth and concentration as the best poets? How often do you shiver from the sheer beauty of a novel? More than when listening to Mozart's Requiem, to any musical work of note? No, but that is not the point of prose, you might say. Because prose has ideas, of course. Yes, I might admit that prose has ideas where music does not, where poetry often does not, but these are the most meddling, shallow of ideas, when compared to the ideas of an actual thinker. What is the point of trying to convey an idea within the context of a story, when it could be approached, what do you know, as an idea? Prose plays around with ideas on a shallow level, is the playground of pseudo philosophers unable to think deeply about concepts, making broad handwavy literary observations about the world that can be easily taken apart by the most average of philosophers. But prose helps to change the world, it has a social value that the other arts do not! one might protest. In response to this, I reject the premise, seeing that art should have artistic merit based on its artistic qualities and not on the political effects of it, but will also like you to think about this: if you want to change the world, why don't you just try to change the world instead of write books about it? who do you think changed the political and social landscape of France more: Stalin or Tolstoy? Prose excels in no aspect: it is always mediocre, the most mediocre of all arts. There is a reason why prose attracts the least talented of all people, why you don't see quite so many untalented wannabe classical composers, but see a ridiculous amount of talentless MFA students and "writers," not to mention the absolute trash that people write on this board. Just take a look at pic related. A failed philosopher, too afraid to even approach poetry or music, and a prose writer. The absolute worst, most cringey, pseudo-intellectual, shallow, pretentious conversations that I have heard in my life, have been from people talking about prose. The lack of artistic sense, the lack of intellectual ability, and arrogance from the cultural capital inherently engrained in this mediocre art is a travesty.

*Russia not France, my bad

I learned recently about a video-game term that teenagers these days throw around: "overpowered," or "OP" for short. If a character type in a competitive video game is inordinately more powerful than the others, then it is "overpowered"; the game as a result is deemed "unbalanced," and fans will complain on forums that the developers have delivered to them a swift "slap in the face." It's an interesting metaphor. Life, of course, is no game, and it's a truism that it isn't fair. But every once in a while we get a striking reminder of how unevenly Mother Nature distributes her gifts. Take the literary world for instance. By any measure, David Foster Wallace, the author of the acclaimed novel Infinite Jest, was overpowered. If he were a class in a role-playing game, then you wouldn't hear the end of the complaining. When it came to the writing of fiction, Wallace blew his competitors—historical and contemporary both—out of the water. To borrow another term from video gaming, it's fair to say that he "owned" them. When Infinite Jest hit book stores in February 1996, the title's two words were in the mouth of every serious reader in America; every living writer, however, was faced with a different pair of words: "Game Over."

Define prose before this discussion proceeds further. OED isn't acceptable

prose = literature

>it's another "user rants against fiction" episode

this is a bad website. bad for your mind, bad for your body, bad for your soul. i'd recommend doing another thing

Veeky Forums’s Veeky Forums is the ultimate pseud magnet, the most middlebrow, mediocre form of art. There is a reason why the best Veeky Forums writers have been failed prose writers. Veeky Forums writers neither have the aesthetic/artistic refinement of a poet, nor the intellect of a philosopher, so they confine themselves to the easiest, most accessible form of art. Poets can easily transition to become amazing Veeky Forums writers, usually creating better works than most Veeky Forums writers. But have you ever seen a Veeky Forums writer easily transition to becoming a poet? It's almost like comparing a theoretical physicist (poet) to a Twitter shitposter (Veeky Forums writer). Poets simply have a better aesthetic feel, a better grasp of language. And have you ever read a book that gave you the same intense emotional response as did a symphony of Beethoven's? The same feeling of artistic depth and concentration as the best poets? How often do you shiver from the sheer beauty of a copypasta? More than when listening to Mozart's Requiem, to any musical work of note? No, but that is not the point of Veeky Forums, you might say. Because Veeky Forums has ideas, of course. Yes, I might admit that OP has ideas where music does not, where poetry often does not, but these are the most meddling, shallow of ideas, when compared to the ideas of an actual thinker. What is the point of trying to convey an idea within the context of a story, when it could be approached, what do you know, as an idea? Veeky Forums plays around with ideas on a shallow level, is the playground of pseudo philosophers unable to think deeply about concepts, making broad handwavy literary observations about the world that can be easily taken apart by the most average of prose writers. But Veeky Forums helps to change the world, it has a social value that the other arts do not! one might protest. In response to this, I reject the premise, seeing that art should have artistic merit based on its artistic qualities and not on the political effects of it, but will also like you to think about this: if you want to change the world, why don't you just try to change the world instead of posting on Veeky Forums about it? who do you think changed the political and social landscape of France more: Stalin or a Veeky Forums poster? Veeky Forums excels in no aspect: it is always mediocre, the most mediocre of all mediums. There is a reason why Veeky Forums attracts the least talented of all people, why you don't see quite so many untalented wannabe classical composers, but see a ridiculous amount of talentless MFA students and "writers," not to mention the absolute trash that people write on this board. Just take a look at pic related. A failed philosopher, too afraid to even approach poetry or music, and a Veeky Forums writer.

The absolute worst, most cringey, pseudo-intellectual, shallow, pretentious conversations that I have heard in my life, have been from people posting in Veeky Forums. The lack of artistic sense, the lack of intellectual ability, and arrogance from the cultural capital inherently engrained in this mediocre board is a travesty.

the ironic thing is that your prose is shit, i hope this is bait.

Did Dave any poetry?

>tfw poet that just recently started taking shots at fiction
>mfw my prose is amazing from the beginning
Poetry molds you into a master sentence crafter. I can tell how friends and family die a little in ecstasy when reading the exquisite word symphony that is my latest short story.

this thread is the ultimate pasta magnet

Post it?

Finally, someone who says what we're all thinking!

pretty good prose desu

solid 8/10, gave me chills down my back

>re poetry often does not, but these are the most meddling, shallow of ideas, when compared to the ideas of an actual thinker. What is the point of trying to convey an idea within the context of a story, when it could be approached, what do you know, as an idea?
Because since the dawn of age, ideas have best been expressed through story.

>tfw Veeky Forums tries to use "le irony" to deflect from the fact that they have no counterarguments

black dick

>tfw user thinks people should respond seriously to stale pasta

got any more pasta? I'm still hungry

In poems

>tfw this pasta originated from that Faulkner's quote

As a budding writer, I guess I'll say absolutely nothing about the craft itself, for retards like the guy who wrote OP's pasta will costantly spin it with no nuance.

I like DFW but this still made me cringe

I will never not laugh at the greatly deserved ridicule of this hack fraud. Why bother reading someone who couldn't even live with himself? The only sincere moment in the life of David Foster Wallace was when he kicked away the chair. The rest of his life was a lie, the New "Sincerity" was a joke whose punchline was the creaking of a leather belt around the rafter.

His literary career was a menagerie of self help lies told to keep his depression at bay - the audience pussy and drugs were the ghosts at that feast of hypocrisy. The depression was warranted because behind all the gimmicks and the self awareness and the bandannas was no discernible talent.

i feel the exact same way and i've never read a singly thing by him

Since when does music not have ideas?

TL;DR

>"Dont be angry"
>huh, what?
>"i can tell you're seething on the inside"
>im just standing here
>"yes, but you're screaming on the inside"
>"just remember you're in the water"
>this is a grocery store
>"no"
>"the water is a metaphor for how modern day life eats away at you little by little and puts you on the brink of freaking out at any given moment, unless of course you remind yourself that you're in the water, baby"
>im just waiting to buy a frozen pizza
>"and contemplating the series of miserable events that led you to this point. i know. that's the water talking"
>my life isnt miserable
>"yes it is. everyone's life is miserable. but if they just stopped for one second and realized they're in the fucking water maybe they wouldnt be so miserable."
>what are you even doing here?
>hey, are you trying to cut me in line?
>hey what the fuck pal?
>go to the back of the line and wait like everyone else
>"welcome to the water, bitch"

modest chuckle

Poetry is written only by the superior indeed.

>tfw OP is a faggot