Starting with the Greeks. Thoughts on this?

How accurate is this if one were to pursue an in-depth study of philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

depends on what interests you about philosophy
starting with the greeks is kind of a meme. the only greeks you really need are plato, aristotle, and maybe some presocratics like parmenides and heraclitus
but there's a hell of a lot more philosophy to study than the greeks. you'll never be able to cover it all in a single lifetime so any attempts to be exhaustive are pointless. just read what interests you

there's a different chart for starting with the greeks for philosophy. that's for everything and not a very good chart. i don't have the chart i'm talking about but i'd recognize it if i saw it.

Well here you go

Say I'm interested in most of these books. What are your thoughts on these translations? Namely The Iliad and The Odyssey

Fagles > Lattimore > Fitzgerald

m8 that's even worse for the greeks than the OP chart.

You have something better?

no, i'm just here to recognize things.

then shut the fuck up

why respond to the guy claiming to recognise things then? you even said "here you go" to him. maybe you should stop giving charts to people to judge if you're afraid of judgment. just sayin

someone just give me the minimum, barebones greek starter kit

i'm a dumbass so don't say something like "Homer's two" or something because i'm an embryo and won't understand unless you say the actual book titles

That wasn't me

fucking iliad and odyssey

that's it?

>"just give me the minimum"
>"that's it?"

yeah I know, I just figured the minimum would include Plato/ Aristotle too or some shit

Do you want real recs or do you want the bare minimum?

You people are the niggers of literature. How the fuck do you live with yourselves? Here's your (You).

real recs, but without all the supplemental texts and non essential stuff I guess.. thanks for baring with me
kek

The chart is the real recs. Very little non-essential stuff is on the chart. Some arguably essential stuff isn't there either. At most drop the secondary stuff: Strauss, Cambridge companion (literally never seen this on someone's shelf), epic fragments, and maybe Hamilton's mythology. But you could just as easily add Aeschylus, more Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, and a shitload of commentaries for Plato and Aristotle.

It's not me either.
>Here's your (You).
Where's mine?

Have you ever read Mythology by Edith?

Yes I followed the chart directly for a few months. Why?

Did it help you for understanding better the characters in Iliad and Odyssey?

so what illiad translation did you like best? or used and do you recommend it

A bit. If you know anything about Greek gods you don't need to read Hamilton. Basically the only info you need is their names, basic hierarchy (i.e., zeus is top dog), and the judgment of Paris. TONS of irrelevant material in Hamilton, interesting on its own, but not needed for (or even derived directly from) Homer.

I read Fagles first and enjoyed it a lot. Literally finished rereading Iliad today, Lattimore this time, and also enjoyed it a lot. IMO as long as you stick with typically rec'd translators (fagles/lattimore/fitzgerald, no Pope or anything like that) you'll be fine. If it's your first time you'll have so many new things to juggle (plot, structure of the story, characters, gods, etc.), and so little experience with Greek stuff, that the translator won't matter a ton. I enjoyed Lattimore a lot more than I remember enjoying Fagles, but it's also been almost two years since I first read the latter, and I suspect I enjoyed it more because I'm a lot more familiar with the Greeks now than I was then.

I'm asking you about the Mythology book because I think that if I just read Iliad with almost zero knowledge about greek mythology, the Iliad reading would be very slow (so I'd have to pause my reading to do a research about the chracters, the city-state, etc) and maybe I wouldn't remember all the shit I'd just researched, because there's so many references!

If you know literally nothing about Greek myths, yeah read Hamilton.

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1

>Here's your (You).
Gibs me dat