Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

At the behest of my butcher I bought a half pork shoulder for a recipe that ultimately did not require it which left me with one 4.5 pound football of pork shoulder.

My issue is I've never cooked/used pork shoulder so I was thinking of doing a roast. Besides that fact, my recipe, linked at bottom, calls for a whole shoulder and also says 8 to 12 pounds. As mine is half that should I also halve the cooking time from 8 hours to 4?

Alternatively what are some other good uses I can get out if my half pork shoulder?

Recipe: seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/ultra-crispy-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder-recipe.html#comment-anchor-184130

Pork shoulder makes a mediocre roast. Shoulder is better for braised applications, like pulled pork.

>>As mine is half that should I also halve the cooking time from 8 hours to 4?
This is a guessing game, not something you can pre-calculate. Use a thermometer rather than trying to make an impossible prediction.

>>Alternatively what are some other good uses I can get out if my half pork shoulder?

Cut it up and make "country style ribs" (despite the name they have nothing to do with actual ribs). Make sausage, pulled pork.

i like to marinate the shit out of it, i use herbs, garlic/ginger, honey, mustard, sesame oil and chardonay
the longer i leave it marinating the better, you can taste all of it when you are eating it
if it is too tough i also beat it with the bottom of a glass for a bit, i can get pork shoulder so fucking cheap it's a sin

get a grinder and make sausage

thank me sooner

>Pork shoulder makes a mediocre roast

No it doesn't. It does how ever need to be cooked correctly. For that size I'd say give it 4.5 hours on around 325f. I rub mine with ground fennel seeds, salt, pepper and garlic. Also if you want nice crispy crackling remember to score the skin and rub with salt. You can either turn it up to a high heat near the end or at the very beginning of the cooking for an additional 25 or 30 minutes.

pulled pork is easy.

just season and spice it up
then simmer it in chicken stock resting on top of some onions and garlic for a few hours.

just keep an eye on it and add more stock if it gets low

CARNITAS
A
R
N
I
T
A
S

This. If you have a slow cooker, it is super easy.

chef johns cider braised pork shoulder stew.
only needs about 2 - 2.5hrs.

You don't need a grinder, though it helps.

Piping bags (AKA ziploc bags) and a food processor will work.

Perfect chance to make some Carolina style barbecue. I posted my recipe for making it in a slow-cooker here >>Veeky Forums9659837

Hurp.

not authentic, but good

Make a Pernil nigga

Wait, what recipe called for 4lbs of pork shoulder but then didn't need it?

FUCKING CARNITAS

a pseudo Menudo

My store had no hocks/feet in the day I went so my butcher suggested I use a pork shoulder instead. I did go again the day after as I forgot some things and sure enough thru had hocks in that day.

Are you suppose to leave that big piece of skin on? Is it flavor town?

Depends on what you're doing with it. If you're going to be roasting it, absolutely yes. The skin makes crackling which has awesome flavor and texture.

If you're making pulled pork, sausage, etc, then you'd remove the skin because it won't ever crisp up.

For dry cooks where it can crisp up, yes. I like to score mine in a crosshatch pattern to help the fat render out and improve the crisping. Also adds more nooks and crannies for any dry rub you might be using to stick to.

YES. Leave it on, you can crisp it up and have delicious chicharron.

Not ok but I'm going to give that a try. I have some shoulder sitting in the fridge. Have to make stock first. Gonna be a long cook.

No tripas at the butcher's?

>fennel

Recipe dropped

Have to put more wood on the fire so I can make the stock.

Grabbing some stuff from the stock bag.

Uneventful but I feel it's coming along. Just finishing up at 500F for a half hour

>woodfire stove
Oh shit nigga its about to get C O M F Y

It's cooking. I'll be done with all of this in the middle of the night.

Mah nigerian! We make stock all through the winter on our wood burning stove and can it for storage. Once the house warms up enough the maintenance wood keeps it at a perfect simmer. I cut my own wood, so the only cost is the scrap or cheap shit like turkey necks, beef necks and knuckles and chicken feet.

tell me more about the contents of your mysterious stock bag

Looks like vegetable scraps like onion skins, carrot tops, potato eyes, celery roots, that kind of stuff. Only good for making stock or making compost.

but it looks old, and things that are bad / almost bad, can you still make stock out of these things?

Crockpot + pork shoulder + Salt + Orange peel + 1 can coca cola.

Youre welcome

Speeding up the processes.
Not sure how to season the pork.
You can use potato eyes?
They're all freezer burned but that doesn't matter because I'm doing to Bill the fuck out of it and then them out.

>tell me more about the contents of your mysterious stock bag
I second this user.

I follow her on Instagram

My dogs not been happy about boiling meat smell all day.

BUMP

How should I season this pork?

This pork.
Also the broth is done.

Something cajun-like, mate.

Had to dog out my slow cooker.

better give Good Boy some when you're done

Going with this.
Couldn't think of much better.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

I personally would have seared it first before tossing it in, but yeah, nice seasoning.

You're the guy from yesterday who had a "gourmet" frozen pork shoulder, aren't you?

I knew I was forgetting a step.

you could try your hand at curing it. it's relatively little work, and a lot of cure time, like a month or so, but definitely worth it

that is a pork rind.

Drain off some of the liquid?

I'm doing the same thing right now, 4 pound pork shoulder in the crock. Its almost 11 PM and its going to go all night.
My "recipe" is chopped onion on the bottom, and dry rub all over the meat, thick, really thick rub. Rub contains: salt, chili powder, curry powder, cumin, MSG, and loads of brown sugar. Topped it with a few heaping spoons of jarred minced garlic. No need to go too fancy here.
Note: NO LIQUID. Its not a soup. The meat itself will give off plenty of liquid on its own. Don't dilute your flavors with a bunch of useless liquid.

Do a crock pot.
We usually slow cook one a month.
Good stuff.

hi, not op. im the guy who suggested this recipe.
the only thing i do differently is not make my own stock and add some coriander to the rub.
im not sure if you took the skin on but i usually do and it just melts away.

also don't listen to this guy let the stock simmer down and just mix it into the meat ass you shred it. kinda self saucing.

let me know how you go.

>home made, perfectly made stock
>bunch of useless liquid

jesus christ she looks like popeye

>dat man hands

Smoke it to make pulled pork. It only takes like 7 hours (lbs*1.5hr). Or smoke it for 4hr@~275F then finish in the oven if you're

To much liquid. I will fix.
Tastes good.

Gonna thicken up this liquid.

Trannies are people too, user. Don't be mean.

Roast it over an open fire and eat it with your bare hands